DaveinOlyWA
Posts: 15049
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:43 pm
Delivery Date: 16 Nov 2019
Leaf Number: 319862
Location: Olympia, WA
Contact: Website

Re: Early Capacity Losses-Was(Lost a bar...down to 11)

Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:02 pm

Valdemar wrote:
DaveinOlyWA wrote:it would be a bit unlikely to have a defective battery pack that covers 12 months of deliveries. after all, we seem to have a fairly consistent level of degradation from people who got their LEAF in Jan 2011 along with people who received their LEAF in Oct 2011.

i will say; i am in the camp that feels that Nissan has full prior knowledge of the heat issues for AZ and have already taken steps to rectify the issue in the 2013 MY along with addressing current 2012 and 2011 MY owners when US production begins
That would have been a suicidal move on their part to knowingly sell vehicles with problems in this emerging market. Which is not to say this didn't happen.
Suicidal?? not hardly. this option has been exercised dozens of times in the past. the only thing that matters is the last page of the story, not how the story got there. We humans want good things so we tend to ignore, forget or push to the rear the bad things.

doesnt matter had badly Nissan stumbled up to this point. doesnt even matter a little bit because if they execute the remainder of the story well. a year from now, that is all we will care to remember.
2011 SL; 44,598 mi, 87% SOH. 2013 S; 44,840 mi, 91% SOH. 2016 S30; 29,413 mi, 99% SOH. 2018 S; 25,185 mi, SOH 92.23%. 2019 S Plus; 13,705 mi, 93.41% SOH
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

User avatar
OrientExpress
Posts: 1574
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:22 pm
Delivery Date: 10 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2331
Location: San Jose, Ca

Re: Early Capacity Losses-Was(Lost a bar...down to 11)

Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:09 pm

16
Last edited by OrientExpress on Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2018 LEAF SL
Gun Metalic
Delivery April 10 2018

Prior LEAF:
2014 LEAF SV
Ocean Blue
Delivery May 23 2014
50,000+ miles - all 12 bars - Same range as new - No warranty issues ever!

shrink
Posts: 360
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:21 pm
Delivery Date: 26 Jun 2012
Leaf Number: 21842
Location: Phoenix, AZ

Re: Early Capacity Losses-Was(Lost a bar...down to 11)

Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:12 pm

OrientExpress wrote: And no I am not in denial, it is just that I have a deeper understanding of how failure analysis in the automotive industry works.
Yes, you are in denial and an apologist.

You apparently don't think this is an issue:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/wiki/index. ... bars_s.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2011 LEAF (Sold) | 2012 Volt (Sold) | 2012 LEAF (Lease Ended) | 2010 Tesla Roadster #501 | 2013 Tesla Model S #9001 | 6.827 kW SunPower PV System

User avatar
OrientExpress
Posts: 1574
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:22 pm
Delivery Date: 10 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2331
Location: San Jose, Ca

Re: Early Capacity Losses-Was(Lost a bar...down to 11)

Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:32 pm

shrink wrote:
OrientExpress wrote: And no I am not in denial, it is just that I have a deeper understanding of how failure analysis in the automotive industry works.
Yes, you are in denial and an apologist.

You apparently don't think this is an issue:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/wiki/index. ... bars_s.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
No, What I am saying that stuff like the link you post certainly describes a symptom and, as Nissan has acknowledged, is reason for investigation, but it is not actionable information and does not have data that would conform with the forensic and failure analysis methodology of an automobile manufacturer or their suppliers.
2018 LEAF SL
Gun Metalic
Delivery April 10 2018

Prior LEAF:
2014 LEAF SV
Ocean Blue
Delivery May 23 2014
50,000+ miles - all 12 bars - Same range as new - No warranty issues ever!

Valdemar
Posts: 2665
Joined: Tue May 10, 2011 10:32 pm
Delivery Date: 09 Sep 2011
Location: Oak Park, CA

Re: Early Capacity Losses-Was(Lost a bar...down to 11)

Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:37 pm

DaveinOlyWA wrote:
Suicidal?? not hardly. this option has been exercised dozens of times in the past. the only thing that matters is the last page of the story, not how the story got there. We humans want good things so we tend to ignore, forget or push to the rear the bad things.

doesnt matter had badly Nissan stumbled up to this point. doesnt even matter a little bit because if they execute the remainder of the story well. a year from now, that is all we will care to remember.
The story was not executing well even before the bad news broke out to masses with 500 units per month they could only move despite all the efforts and tax breaks. I doubt Nissan really anticipated mass adoption of technology in the first several years despite their announced projected sales numbers, and things like this are enough to drive the whole thing to the ground, I really doubt marketing didn't know that. Now it will take years and $8+/gallon gas prices to heal up the damage done, if Nissan doesn't pull-out from EV business before that.

User avatar
lemketron
Posts: 242
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:46 pm
Delivery Date: 10 May 2011
Leaf Number: 1554
Location: Sunnyvale, CA

Re: Early Capacity Losses-Was(Lost a bar...down to 11)

Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:39 pm

OrientExpress wrote:...replacing a single instance of part at a dealer under warranty does not make it back to the R&D centers for a manufacturer or the supplier of the part, especially if they are based in another country.

And no I am not in denial, it is just that I have a deeper understanding of how failure analysis in the automotive industry works.
Actually, when my PTC heater was replaced last winter, I was told that the bad parts were being expedited overseas for immediate failure analysis.
Reserved: 4/20/10, Ordered: 10/27/10, Delivered 5/10/11
Drivin' on sunshine! 5.4 KW Solar PV, PG&E E6 TOU, Blink EVSE (EV Project)
20,000+ miles of zero-emission solar-powered driving at $.01/mile!

Herm
Posts: 3765
Joined: Sun May 23, 2010 3:08 pm
Delivery Date: 29 Aug 2012
Location: Timbuktu, Mali

Re: Early Capacity Losses-Was(Lost a bar...down to 11)

Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:45 pm

OrientExpress wrote: Consider that it appears that all of these suspect cars are pretty much from the first major large scale delivery in 2011, with many of them coming in the May 2011 delivery batch. and that they are all being operated in extreme heat area in the south and southwest.
So you think this will be the excuse that Nissan uses when they announce their fix?.. some of us think they will blame AGW and count double coup with the Believers.

User avatar
OrientExpress
Posts: 1574
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:22 pm
Delivery Date: 10 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2331
Location: San Jose, Ca

Re: Early Capacity Losses-Was(Lost a bar...down to 11)

Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:46 pm

lemketron wrote:
OrientExpress wrote:...replacing a single instance of part at a dealer under warranty does not make it back to the R&D centers for a manufacturer or the supplier of the part, especially if they are based in another country.

And no I am not in denial, it is just that I have a deeper understanding of how failure analysis in the automotive industry works.
Actually, when my PTC heater was replaced last winter, I was told that the bad parts were being expedited overseas for immediate failure analysis.
Morale of story, whenever you say "never" or "every", all that is needed to disprove you is one instance!

Yes, back when the LEAF was very new in 2011, since there were so few cars in the field, every major component failure got close scrutiny. But generally that is the exception rather than the rule.
2018 LEAF SL
Gun Metalic
Delivery April 10 2018

Prior LEAF:
2014 LEAF SV
Ocean Blue
Delivery May 23 2014
50,000+ miles - all 12 bars - Same range as new - No warranty issues ever!

User avatar
OrientExpress
Posts: 1574
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:22 pm
Delivery Date: 10 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2331
Location: San Jose, Ca

Re: Early Capacity Losses-Was(Lost a bar...down to 11)

Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:49 pm

Herm wrote:
OrientExpress wrote: Consider that it appears that all of these suspect cars are pretty much from the first major large scale delivery in 2011, with many of them coming in the May 2011 delivery batch. and that they are all being operated in extreme heat area in the south and southwest.
So you think this will be the excuse that Nissan uses when they announce their fix?.. some of us think they will blame AGW and count double coup with the Believers.
No, I think the responsible groups at Nissan will handle this in a professional manner, as they do with all of the other TSBs that are issued each year to correct issues with their products.
2018 LEAF SL
Gun Metalic
Delivery April 10 2018

Prior LEAF:
2014 LEAF SV
Ocean Blue
Delivery May 23 2014
50,000+ miles - all 12 bars - Same range as new - No warranty issues ever!

shrink
Posts: 360
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:21 pm
Delivery Date: 26 Jun 2012
Leaf Number: 21842
Location: Phoenix, AZ

Re: Early Capacity Losses-Was(Lost a bar...down to 11)

Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:16 pm

OrientExpress wrote:No it is not, replacing a single instance of part at a dealer under warranty does not make it back to the R&D centers for a manufacturer or the supplier of the part, especially if they are based in another country.
If replacing an entire battery back 7 months after delivery did not make it to Nissan's R&D center, that is both denial and negligence. You can't equate a battery pack to say, faulty hatch struts or some other non-essential part that is replaced under warranty.

However, it is good there is finally some acknowledgment from the powers that be. It's just sad it took way too much discussion, frustration, anxiety, time, and a little old news story. The 2- and 3- bar loss owners were initially and repeatedly told this was "normal."

It did not have to be that way and there will unfortunately be some lingering resentment. There are better ways to treat your customers. That said, it's probably best we all just wait and see what the conclusions of the study are.
2011 LEAF (Sold) | 2012 Volt (Sold) | 2012 LEAF (Lease Ended) | 2010 Tesla Roadster #501 | 2013 Tesla Model S #9001 | 6.827 kW SunPower PV System

Return to “Problems / Troubleshooting”