Capacity Loss on 2011-2012 LEAFs

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
scottf200 said:
An Early Autumn For A Nissan Leaf Owner In Texas
PUBLISHED JULY 26, 2012 - BY JEFF COBB
http://www.hybridcars.com/news/early-autumn-nissan-leaf-owner-texas-49026.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You beat me to it Scott. I just read this very interesting and disturbing article. I think this is Pipcecil's car.

http://www.hybridcars.com/news/early-autumn-nissan-leaf-owner-texas-49026.html
“All-in-all I am pretty disappointed. Here is an analogy I gave my wife when she asked me how I felt about it: You are a kid and have your favorite sports idol. You watch him in every game, you follow every news article and interview, you know his every stat for his sport off the top of your head, you even buy his jerseys and bobbleheads. You send him letters every month! He is your idol, he his your hero, for years. Now he is making a special appearance at your local mall. You plan the basic mall trip for weeks and are so giddy you can't even sleep that night. When you finally get to the mall you see your hero unshaved, drunk, stumbling, and shouting obscenities at people waiting to see him. He is belligerent and refuses to sign your favorite poster/card that you brought. Your once perfect, pristine hero picture has been utterly destroyed. You are not angry, sad, upset, you are beyond that ... just complete ... utter ... disappointment. On your way out you toss the poster you brought in the trash and proceed to clean your room out of his stuff you accumulated, never to watch him on TV again or look him up. That’s how I feel ... betrayed by my hero.”

Gonewild said:
You will, How about your first Leaf. Did you see any?

Oh yes, I did!

I'm on the wiki and on the list maintained here. I lost my 1st capacity bar on the 2011 after 10-1/2 months and 10,200 miles. Took it to the dealer the next day and got a a perfect battery information sheet (5/5 stars of all measures). My service record also said that 11 capacity bars was "normal."

EdmondLeaf said:
http://www.hybridcars.com/news/early-autumn-nissan-leaf-owner-texas-49026.html
“All-in-all I am pretty disappointed. Here is an analogy I gave my wife when she asked me how I felt about it: You are a kid and have your favorite sports idol. You watch him in every game, you follow every news article and interview, you know his every stat for his sport off the top of your head, you even buy his jerseys and bobbleheads. You send him letters every month! He is your idol, he his your hero, for years. Now he is making a special appearance at your local mall. You plan the basic mall trip for weeks and are so giddy you can't even sleep that night. When you finally get to the mall you see your hero unshaved, drunk, stumbling, and shouting obscenities at people waiting to see him. He is belligerent and refuses to sign your favorite poster/card that you brought. Your once perfect, pristine hero picture has been utterly destroyed. You are not angry, sad, upset, you are beyond that ... just complete ... utter ... disappointment. On your way out you toss the poster you brought in the trash and proceed to clean your room out of his stuff you accumulated, never to watch him on TV again or look him up. That’s how I feel ... betrayed by my hero.”
SO TRUE :evil:

scottf200 said:
http://www.hybridcars.com/news/early-autumn-nissan-leaf-owner-texas-49026.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That article mentioned someone losing 50% of there range? I've never heard of that. 4 bars was the most, right? Does that equate to 50%?

lemketron said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
Valdemar said:
Oh boy, this thread has definitely beaten all records by the amount of speculation contained. Just to throw one more into the mix, does anyone think that all these issues may be related to a bad batch of batteries?
no
Agreed. I think it's more likely that a fix (or some solution) is in the works (perhaps also in the 2013 car, possibly from TN, or not), but given the ultimate cost of deploying that fix to existing cars in the field, they would likely want to take their time in testing it to ensure they only have to fix it ONCE and for all...

There's no fix in the works because there's nothing but "normal" degradation. They are only in the past few days looking into allegations from 5 or 6 Phoenix LEAFs. Or, you can use the micro-teeny 0.000003% or the 30,000 LEAFs sold.

So again, there's no current fix because they have yet to identify anything beyond normal degradation. Here's the response from Nissan when questioned in the article linked above:

We don’t yet have enough information to answer many of your questions. While we are concerned about any individual Leaf owner who has a less-than-stellar customer experience, fortunately, our data shows these cases to be minimal. We hope to share information soon from our investigation of this handful of vehicles.

Folks, the setup is being played.

Cheezmo said:
scottf200 said:

That article mentioned someone losing 50% of there range? I've never heard of that. 4 bars was the most, right? Does that equate to 50%?

The article is inaccurate also on capacity after 5 and ten years.
"You bought one in good faith, knowing it was EPA-rated at 73 miles range – not a lot, but enough – and Nissan had assured you that the car was engineered to lose no more than 80 percent capacity in five years and 70 percent in 10."

Cheezmo said:
The difference could be explained by increased internal resistance of the battery, which implies lower attainable energy economy of the vehicle and less range.

surfingslovak said:
Cheezmo said:
The difference could be explained by increased internal resistance of the battery, which will in turn lower the attainable energy economy of the vehicle.

Or a misquote from one of the AZ folks who said that they can now only make one leg of their round trip to work and back, when they used to be able to make the whole trip.

If Nissan waits too long to come up with a satisfactory resolution, the Leaf brand is really going to take it on the chin. It's a really a shame, because the Leaf is a stellar performer in moderate climates. Very disappointing to see this turn of events. I hope they can turn this around. Best hope is for Gen 2 battery pack coming out sooner rather than later. Without that, I can't see this turning out well.

Boomer23 said:
Or a misquote from one of the AZ folks who said that they can now only make one leg of their round trip to work and back, when they used to be able to make the whole trip.
Yes, absolutely. I didn't expect internal resistance to be ever a problem with the Leaf. What piqued my interest is the fact that most everyone reports larger range loss than what's implied by their Gid reading alone. Another thing that surprised me is that my car can no longer reach quite the same energy economy it was getting last year on identical runs. It's a bit puzzling. Has anyone else seen this?

Cheezmo said:
scottf200 said:

I am not aware of Leaf with 4 CB lost, but I know how display looks like when 3 CB gone. Reduction in range from 90 miles to 45 miles was reported before, but 90 miles was achieved without AC running and early on when we all tend to drive a bit slower, 45 miles was reported recently, but this time with AC running and driving a bit faster on the same road and similar weather condition. One may draw erratic conclusion of 50% range reduction but full disclosure of conditions was given in the report.

EdmondLeaf said:
Reduction in range from 90 miles to 45 miles was reported before, but 90 miles was achieved without AC running and early on when we all tend to drive a bit slower, 45 miles was reported not long ago but this time with AC running and driving a bit faster on the same road and similar weather condition. One may draw erratic conclusion of 50% range reduction but full disclosure of conditions was given in the report.
Well, that would certainly be an explanation. Were you in Phoenix for the CBS interview?

surfingslovak said:
EdmondLeaf said:
Reduction in range from 90 miles to 45 miles was reported before, but 90 miles was achieved without AC running and early on when we all tend to drive a bit slower, 45 miles was reported not long ago but this time with AC running and driving a bit faster on the same road and similar weather condition. One may draw erratic conclusion of 50% range reduction but full disclosure of conditions was given in the report.
Well, that would certainly be an explanation. Were you in Phoenix for the CBS interview?
I had a pleasure to meet and talk to many PHX Leaf owners. Very nice group of people.

surfingslovak said:
Yes, absolutely. I didn't expect internal resistance to be ever a problem with the Leaf. What piqued my interest is the fact that most everyone reports larger range loss than what's implied by their Gid reading alone. Another thing that surprised me is that my car can no longer reach quite the same energy economy it was getting last year on the identical runs. It's a bit puzzling. Has anyone else seen this?
My recent energy economy is identical to my long term average, perhaps even a bit higher:

Lifetime average (dash) - 5.7
Center console reading (reset a couple of months ago and not touched since) - 5.9

Since it is generally accepted that the center console reads 0.1 higher than the dash, this suggests a very slight improvement. My route has not changed, traffic is about the same, and my technique isn't any different (besides, how could I really do better than 5.7? :eek: )

A question for this group,

Is there anyone with a 2012 car anywhere in the world having a lost bar? Is there anyone with a 2011 car that took delivery after August 2011 anywhere in the world having a lost bar?

Back