Video of LEAF traveling at 98 MPH (157 KPH)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
EVDRIVER said:
Not sure how you came up with that number, it is a function of the motor RPM and gearing, there is no 98 MPH limit on a single speed drive today. It's about trade offs.

Silly EVDriver, it's because if the LEAF goes faster than 98 mph it will travel through time! You did remember about the Flux Capacitor between the battery and the rear seat, didn't you? :lol:

TimeHorse said:
EVDRIVER said:
Not sure how you came up with that number, it is a function of the motor RPM and gearing, there is no 98 MPH limit on a single speed drive today. It's about trade offs.

Silly EVDriver, it's because if the LEAF goes faster than 98 mph it will travel through time! You did remember about the Flux Capacitor between the battery and the rear seat, didn't you? :lol:
Funny. But that was 88mph (shh... don't tell Nissan. They'll limit the speed to 87mph!).

EVDRIVER said:

I'll update the post to make it clear.

I don't remember where I read it.

But yes, it is depends on the rating of the motor and the initial torque we want. Higher the max speed we aim for - lower could be the initial torque affecting 0-60 mph. This was the problem with Roadster. So initially they went for a 2 gear power train which was changed over to a single fixed gear when they switched to BorgWarner.

ps : http://www.teslamotors.com/blog/engineering-update-powertrain-15

Boomer23 said:
Seems like he pretty much floored it at the get-go.

Anyone time the 0-100 kph speed?

Informally, it looked like less than 10 sec.
Looked like that to me, too.

He's doing 3kmh when you first see the dash, @ 8 seconds into the video. It's the latter part of 8 seconds too, and it just ticks over to 20 seconds when he hits 100kph. So 11+ seconds, assuming he truly is flooring it?

BTW, I may not be able to do a 0-60mph run when I drive on October 1st, but I'll be able to get a feel for it compared to my Focii and the (rather slower by comparison) 2.0L Contour I had prior to. The Contour (0-60 in ~ 9.5 seconds) always felt just a hair underpowered to me, though it never bothered me enough to get rid of it for that alone.

Edit: I wonder if the instantly available torque will make it feel faster from a standing start than an comparable ICE car would be?

mwalsh said:
He's doing 3kmh when you first see the dash, @ 8 seconds into the video. It's the latter part of 8 seconds too, and it just ticks over to 20 seconds when he hits 100kph. So 11+ seconds, assuming he truly is flooring it?

BTW, I may not be able to do a 0-60mph run when I drive on October 1st, but I'll be able to get a feel for it compared to my Focii and the (rather slower by comparison) 2.0L Contour I had prior to. The Contour (0-60 in ~ 9.5 seconds) always felt just a hair underpowered to me, though it never bothered me enough to get rid of it for that alone.

Edit: I wonder if the instantly available torque will make it feel faster from a standing start than an comparable ICE car would be?

I can say affirmative on that one. With that kind of torque, I should be able to take a vette off the line easily. I heard it will feel like a V6, but with instant torque. ICEs don't have instant torque.

drees said:
evnow said:
I believe about 98mph is the max single gear electric cars can go - unless some kind of mechanism like Roadster's is included.
Roadster is single gear - no transmission. Top speed 125mph.

Any idea what kind of RPMs the motor is turning at that speed?

(I thought the tesla had a two speed tranny though)

mwalsh said:
Do I remember correctly that they never got it to work properly, so they disabled it or otherwise did away with it?

I recall them having a lot of trouble with it, but never heard the final outcome.

Does seem like a reasonable thing to consider though depending on how wide an RPM range is reasonable for these motors. Maybe the motor in the Leaf is made by Dremel.

LTLFTcomposite said:
mwalsh said:
Do I remember correctly that they never got it to work properly, so they disabled it or otherwise did away with it?

I recall them having a lot of trouble with it, but never heard the final outcome.

Did you guys read my post in the previous page, esp the long blog post I linked :?

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=21596#p21596

gudy said:
based on 70 miles at 55mph (with AC on), 95mph would give you about 24 miles of range.

Thank you, Carnac the Magnificent. :)

Seriously, how can you with 1 speed / range determine what the range will be at another? Given that range is (speed * 24kWh / Power) and power required to overcome drag is proportional to the cube of the speed, all we can say for sure is there is some quadratic equation (with a reciprocal term, 1/v) that would determine the reciprocal range under those conditions. Solving for such an equation would require 4 distinct speed points with all other variables being equal. 70 mi at 55mph would only give you 1 of those. One could just as easily guess that the equation is v * 24kWh / ((v - 55mph)**2)kW + 18.8 kW, which is 70.2 mi at 55mph and about 1.4 miles at 95mph.

TimeHorse said:
gudy said:
based on 70 miles at 55mph (with AC on), 95mph would give you about 24 miles of range.

Seriously, how can you with 1 speed / range determine what the range will be at another? Given that range is (speed * 24kWh / Power) and power required to overcome drag is proportional to the cube of the speed, all we can say for sure is there is some quadratic equation (with a reciprocal term, 1/v) that would determine the reciprocal range under those conditions. Solving for such an equation would require 4 distinct speed points with all other variables being equal. 70 mi at 55mph would only give you 1 of those. One could just as easily guess that the equation is v * 24kWh / ((v - 55mph)**2)kW + 18.8 kW, which is 70.2 mi at 55mph and about 1.4 miles at 95mph.

My head hurts......... :shock:

Carlos said:
TimeHorse said:
gudy said:

My head hurts......... :shock:

My head hurts really baaad! :?

Back