Capacity Loss on 2011-2012 LEAFs

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is an update from Scott Jarosh on viewing Carwings while his car was in Casa Grande.

I noticed that on the Forum, PG249 "RegGuheert" asked if anyone watched check Carwings while their car was in Casa Grande. I check mine 3 or 4 time daily. It didn't tell me much. Most of the time, Carwings could not connect to my Leaf. I do know that they discharged my batteries to 8% at least once, did several 10 min or less charges, and charged to 60% most of the time. At not time did my charge status ever "Jump" up it always increased slowly as by standard charging.

I included some Carwings Screenshots for you and the Forum. I dropped my car off on July 23rd 7:00 AM with 4 miles less than 100% charge. I picked it up on 9:30 AM Aug 8th with 100% charge.

[/img][/img] Scott Carwings Aug Power.jpg
Scott Carwings July Power.jpg

My current range with 1 bar missing info.(trip A) My normal driving 50% mix 55mph loop and 35mph city all with A/C its 100F in TX . 100% charge , drove 48.1 miles down to LBW 6 miles showing on GOM and 1 flashing bar. 3.8Kwh on meter. This is the shortest range I have ever seen even when driving like I didnt care about the range. Shortest range in june was like 56 miles and 8 on GOM. I will cont to track but now its official for me, a very notable drop and I will not be able to do some driving as before in 1 day without a charge.

(trip B) today, another full charge and drive with more constant values. short 55mph trip 8 miles, then 32 miles at 65mph total trip 40 miles, 3.8Kwh , Had 14 miles on GOM and 3 bars left. seems like it would have been about the same as trip A overall. New limited range is 50 miles if I want to make it back home without Turtle mode.

I sent my info. in..
ALLWATZ said:
This is what may happen to those of us with capacity issues, http://www.autosafety.org/secret-warranties" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Good thing most early tech adopters are vocal also. Please make sure and read what it states under Conclusions.

TonyWilliams said:
RegGuheert said:
I've always said the easiest job in the world is being the weather-woman in San Diego! :D

It was in the 80's at my house today !!! Naturally, one of the air conditioners quit (12 years old).
You have an air conditioner, Tony? Maybe you're farther from the beach than I am (west side of I-15). I know you guys in AZ won't think this is funny----but I had to run my bedroom ceiling fan last night for a couple hrs. ;) :D

derkraut said:
You have an air conditioner, Tony? Maybe you're farther from the beach than I am (west side of I-15). I know you guys in AZ won't think this is funny----but I had to run my bedroom ceiling fan last night for a couple hrs. ;) :D

I can get by just fine without AC, but with 8kW of solar, why not? We're on the top of the hill, and get a perfect coastal breeze right through my house. Our Tierrasanta house never ran the AC once. My Oxnard beach house didn't have AC or heater !!!!

derkraut said:

ROFL!!! I run ceiling fans in 4 rooms in my house constantly... 24x7x300 days. We even have a ceiling fan in our master bathroom. :oops: There's nothing worse than sweating as soon as you step out of the shower.

opossum said:
There is a lawyer out here in the Phoenix area who has been reading up on this capacity loss issue and speaking to some affected LEAF owners. He has experience with the major auto manufacturers as well. He believes LEAF owners have a good claim against Nissan. Message me if you would like the lawyer's contact information.

I would really like to have his information. You can email it to [email protected]
Thanks

TickTock said:
Curious. My new 100% charge did reach a higher gid count by 6% (now 231 vs 217 before) however, I still drew almost exactly the same charge from the wall for a turtle to 100% charge (20.8kWh). I'll check if the logs offer any explanation later today. Still 12 capacity bars.
At the very least, your wall-energy readings match Nissan's claim that your battery is down 15%. 20.8/24.0 = 86.7%. So I think that we can safely establish 24 kWh from the wall on L2 as what the baseline reading should be for a 100% healthy battery. This matches up with what we've seen people report from day one where we've seen 24-25 kWh from the wall charging from turtle to 100%.

It was only 107 @ 10 pm in Phx :shock:
derkraut said:
TonyWilliams said:
RegGuheert said:
I've always said the easiest job in the world is being the weather-woman in San Diego! :D

It was in the 80's at my house today !!! Naturally, one of the air conditioners quit (12 years old).

I think the odds are increasing about Nissan taking out the battery capacity meter.. it just confuses things and needlessly distresses the owners. just rely on the GOM.

Herm said:
I think the odds are increasing about Nissan taking out the battery capacity meter.. it just confuses things and needlessly distresses the owners. just rely on the GOM.

They certainly would have had less issues without providing consumers with non-required info. With all the other misinformation presented (how about 100 mile range or that crazy CarWings?!?!) from GoM, to non-linear temperature and capacity instruments, so why not make the top capacity bar be 50%? Easy software change.

Also, why not the easy Honda-esque change to available capacity? Sure, they could keep saying 100 mile range (that exactly 35 people have reported to have completed... Less than the reports of degraded batteries!!!!) with any software limited capacity; it's just "normal".

Herm said:

I guess that's possible. If they haven't yet figured out what a deep hole they're in, they might just keep digging.

TonyWilliams said:
Looks the same in the Bay Area. Or at least in my particular Bay Area Micro-climate - ten miles in any direction will change it radically, and depending on where you live you might only need to move a mile or in a few cases, a couple of blocks, to be in another climate zone. Reminds me of the old Firesign Theatre bit:

BABE: Let's see what they've got in this car.

ROADSIGN: "Antelope Freeway One-Quarter Mile..."

BABE: Let's see ...

ROADSIGN: "Antelope Freeway One-Eighth Mi... "

BABE: We've got lights, wipers, defrost ...

ROADSIGN: "Antelope Freeway One-Sixteenth Mi..."

BABE: ... temperature and Climate Control! Hummmm ...

ROADSIGN: "Antelope Freeway One-Thirty- Second Mi..."

BABE: Let's see what kind of climate' I can get ...

ROADSIGN: "Antelope Freeway One-Sixty-Fourth Mi..."

BABE: Winter Wonderland. Spring Fever ...

ROADSIGN: "Antelope Freeway One-One Hundred and Twenty-Eighth Mi ..."

BABE: ... Indian Summer ...

ROADSIGN: "Antelope Freeway One-Two Hundred and Fifty-Sixth Mi..."

BABE: . . . Tropical Paradise. Tropical Paradise.? I think I'll give it a try . . .

ROADSIGN: "Antelope Freeway One-Five Hundred and..."

SOUND: A click. The road sounds disappear, replaced by birds, wind, crickets and frogs.

BABE: Wow! What a groove! A Tropical Paradise!

SOUND: Clap of thunder. Rain begins to fall. Babe yawns as the rain continues. Ducks quack and distant thunder rolls. Babe yawns and then falls silent. As the rain dwindles off, there are the sounds off footsteps sloshing through mud.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Full script here:

http://webspace.ringling.edu/~ccjones/curricula/03-04/satire/readings/sixties/firesign.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TickTock said:
Curious. My new 100% charge did reach a higher gid count by 6% (now 231 vs 217 before) however, I still drew almost exactly the same charge from the wall for a turtle to 100% charge (20.8kWh). I'll check if the logs offer any explanation later today. Still 12 capacity bars.

Your gid count of 231=82% which means you will probably lose a bar when it goes to 81 or 80%. All the cars I've tested lost a bar shortly after the 81% reading.

LEAFfan said:
TickTock said:

Your gid count of 231=82% which means you will probably lose a bar when it goes to 81 or 80%. All the cars I've tested lost a bar shortly after the 81% reading.

And (assuming TickTock's LEAF still has the original battery) it looks like his capacity at "100%" charge may have only declined from 19.12 kWh to 18.48 kWh, or ~3.5%, since his first gid reading on 10/01/11.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0An7gtcYL2Oy0dHNwVmRkNkFnaEVOQTVENW5mOTZlb0E&pli=1#gid=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Please keep us posted, TickTock.

IMO, it could be that Nissan shot their wad and removed all charging restrictions, and ~18.5 kWh is the maximum capacity your battery will ever have.

But, if any potential seasonal capacity increase wasn't already "installed" by Nissan when they had your car, you might still see the gid count increase later this year, like you did last year, after you started recording on 10/1/11.

Back