User avatar
Nubo
Posts: 5878
Joined: Fri May 28, 2010 11:01 am
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2014
Location: Vallejo, CA

Re: 2013 Nissan Leaf Electric Car To Use New, Cheaper Batter

Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:49 am

drees wrote:...
I can understand switching to Hitachi if their cost is lower, but then what are they going to do with the battery plants they are just finishing in Tennessee and the UK?...
Maybe not as major a change as it seems. The chemistry sounds similar. A lot of the equipment is basically mechanical assembly of the various foils and films into cells, modules, and packs (cutting, rolling, folding, welding, etc...).
I noticed you're still working with polymers.

palmermd
Posts: 2630
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:19 pm
Delivery Date: 31 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 1100011011
Location: Hermosa Beach, CA

Re: 2013 Nissan Leaf Electric Car To Use New, Cheaper Batter

Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:04 am

bruce5 wrote:If you look at the comments under the article on greencarreports.com you can see the author concede that he messed up.
John Voelcker
Posted: 8/27/2012 7:29pm PDT
@Bruce: Interesting point. But the lengthy discussion of Leaf sales--the only Nissan model named--makes it the logical car being discussed.

Perhaps nuances of the original story were lost in translation, and it refers to a different Nissan "eco-friendly" model--that's not named or otherwise described. Japanese readers are welcome to weigh in here, but the Leaf is now Nissan's sole "green" car in the U.S. market.

If that's the case, I have to think that car is the Altima Hybrid to be introduced for 2014. It would be odd for that model to use Hitachi cells when the Infiniti M35h (the company's only hybrid now sold in the U.S.) used AESC cells. Though, I suppose, not entirely impossible...
Michael

Leaf from 31 March 2011 - Traded 18 April 2019 for Tesla Model 3 Unicorn
Driving electric since 1996


Leaf Bar Loss

bruce5
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:39 pm

Re: 2013 Nissan Leaf Electric Car To Use New, Cheaper Batter

Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:03 am

E-mail to me from the editor of the paper that started this speculation about the Leaf and Hitachi.

Thank you very much for your inquiry. The story was written by the two reporters in Japanese and translated by one of our staff for the English edition. In the process of translating the article, the translator throught there was only one "eco-friendly" model. The original story, however, mentions two models-- "Altima" and "Pathfinder."
We are sorry for creating confusion over the story.

Best regards,
Yumiko Miyai
Editor, The Daily Yomiuri

User avatar
spike09
Posts: 418
Joined: Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:50 pm
Delivery Date: 15 Dec 2011
Leaf Number: 015123
Location: Miami, Florida
Contact: Website

Re: 2013 Nissan Leaf Electric Car To Use New, Cheaper Batter

Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:44 pm

bruce5 wrote:E-mail to me from the editor of the paper that started this speculation about the Leaf and Hitachi.

Thank you very much for your inquiry. The story was written by the two reporters in Japanese and translated by one of our staff for the English edition. In the process of translating the article, the translator throught there was only one "eco-friendly" model. The original story, however, mentions two models-- "Altima" and "Pathfinder."
We are sorry for creating confusion over the story.

Best regards,
Yumiko Miyai
Editor, The Daily Yomiuri
Here is the orginal article in English
http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/dy/business/T120827003564.htm

"Nissan Motor Co. will adopt lithium-ion batteries produced by Hitachi, Ltd., a non-affiliated company, for two of its eco-friendly models--Altima and Pathfinder--to be marketed in the United States for 2013, Nissan officials have said."

The article also mentions that Honda is using an outside vendor for the Honda Fit EV!
Brilliant Silver 2012 Nissan LEAF SL : Reserved 4/21/10 : Ordered 7/28/11 : Delivered 12/15/11 : Sold 07/30/18 : 79 Months : 56K miles : 11 Bars (Free Battery Swap at 36 months) : Powered by 5kW Solar Array : Pearl White 2018 Tesla M3 AWD 08/04/18

bruce5
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:39 pm

Re: 2013 Nissan Leaf Electric Car To Use New, Cheaper Batter

Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:39 am

They Japanese publication corrected their english version after i pointed it out to the editor.

User avatar
TomT
Posts: 10650
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:09 pm
Delivery Date: 01 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000360
Location: California, now Georgia
Contact: Website

Re: 2013 Nissan Leaf Electric Car To Use New, Cheaper Batter

Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:30 am

Maybe the OP can correct the title so people don't continue to be confused by this thread...
bruce5 wrote:They Japanese publication corrected their english version after i pointed it out to the editor.
Leaf SL 2011 to 2016, Volt Premier 2016 to 2019, and now:
2019 Tesla Model 3; LR, RWD, FSD, 19" Sport Wheels, silver/black; built 3/17/19, delivered 3/29/19.

TimeTrap
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:22 am
Delivery Date: 24 Aug 2012

Re: 2013 Nissan Leaf Electric Car To Use New, Cheaper Batter

Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:22 am

spike09 wrote:
bruce5 wrote:E-mail to me from the editor of the paper that started this speculation about the Leaf and Hitachi.

Thank you very much for your inquiry. The story was written by the two reporters in Japanese and translated by one of our staff for the English edition. In the process of translating the article, the translator throught there was only one "eco-friendly" model. The original story, however, mentions two models-- "Altima" and "Pathfinder."
We are sorry for creating confusion over the story.

Best regards,
Yumiko Miyai
Editor, The Daily Yomiuri
Here is the orginal article in English
http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/dy/business/T120827003564.htm

"Nissan Motor Co. will adopt lithium-ion batteries produced by Hitachi, Ltd., a non-affiliated company, for two of its eco-friendly models--Altima and Pathfinder--to be marketed in the United States for 2013, Nissan officials have said."

The article also mentions that Honda is using an outside vendor for the Honda Fit EV!
Damn. I have a google alert on "nissan leaf", so I saw a bunch of articles a few weeks ago repeating this same "news" of the 25% increase in battery capacity and lowering of cost for the 2013 model. I think they need a more prominent retraction.

DanCar
Posts: 1043
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:00 am
Delivery Date: 10 Mar 2013
Location: SF Bay area, 94043

Re: 2013 Nissan Leaf Electric Car To Use New, Cheaper Batter

Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:45 pm

http://blogs.wsj.com/drivers-seat/2012/ ... r-battery/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Not much new here. Ghosn saying cheaper battery being manufactured now.
2013 Leaf SL leased 3/10/2013

FairwoodRed
Posts: 459
Joined: Wed May 18, 2011 10:25 am
Location: Fairwood, WA

Re: 2013 Nissan Leaf Electric Car To Use New, Cheaper Batter

Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:27 pm

DanCar wrote:http://blogs.wsj.com/drivers-seat/2012/ ... r-battery/
Not much new here. Ghosn saying cheaper battery being manufactured now.
To me, that’s VERY new. As far as I know, this is the first direct admission from a reputable Nissan source that a new battery pack is coming this fall. Sure, there have been rumors and hints, but this quite clear.

Of course, Mark Perry was quite clear about Phoenix heat too… :(

User avatar
DaveEV
Posts: 6251
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:51 pm
Location: San Diego

Re: 2013 Nissan Leaf Electric Car To Use New, Cheaper Batter

Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:31 pm

DanCar wrote:http://blogs.wsj.com/drivers-seat/2012/ ... r-battery/
Not much new here. Ghosn saying cheaper battery being manufactured now.
That is new news - previous news were rumors at best.

To read the full article if you don't have a WSJ subscription, Google "Nissan's Ghosn Battles Cross-Currents" and then click on the online.wsj.com link (or just click on the link I embedded).

Edit: after reading that article, it doesn't even have the quote mentioned in the blog post DanCar refers to. Weird. This article has a bit more detail: http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-201 ... 03503.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “News & Main LEAF Discussion”