SoCal Branch Year 3 LEAF-Gatherings - See Year 4

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Boomer23 said:
garygid said:
I just spoke with Tom and he seems to be doing MUCH better than I did.

That's very encouraging to hear, Gary, thank you.

Please give Tom my best regards and tell him that he's in my thoughts.
Hi gang.

Thanks to Gary for keeping you informed of my progress, and thanks to all of you for sending good vibes my way. A brief synopsis of my "adventure" may be of interest:

Into surgery 7:30am Tuesday at Huntington Memorial in Pasadena, arrived at my hospital room from recovery at 2:30 pm. Surgery about an hour longer than normal to deal with economy-sized hernia repair mesh from previous surgery. Surgeon had told me that he could keep it in place, but he needed time to get around it. There was chance he might have to give me extra blood, but that was not necessary.

My hospital room was a beautiful large single with 5th floor window looking out at mountains.

There had been uncertainly about whether I would need to stay one or two nights. My previous hernia surgery was outpatient. Staying overnight is a tremendous benefit, with IV, oxygen, frequent vitals checks, and continuous massage of my legs and back. As the night progressed I couldn't tell too well how I was doing, but they told me the IV was non-narcotic, and I felt very little discomfort, so I figured things were not too bad. They were taking fluid out of the drain every few hours, but in the morning I started to feel stronger, the surgeon removed the drain, and they said I was leaving after lunch. By late morning I had a walk of two complete loops around the nurses' station without a walker or leaning on the nurse assistant. I ate all that they gave me for both breakfast and lunch. The soup was actually quite tasty. I was walking the corridors when the wheelchair guy came to take me down to my friends' car.

The Da Vinci "robot" system was impressive to see briefly before they put me under, but hopefully none of you will ever have to see it. I was delighted to hear Boomer23 refer to it as technically a "Waldo," not a robot, because it directly follows the surgeon's movements. This is a reference to an old Robert Heinlein story. You can read about it :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Da_Vinci_Surgical_System

At home I have a nurse assistant staying with me, with time off for her when my friends come over. I am being careful to not do too much too soon. We are gradually learning how to deal with my new, temporary plumbing. The catheter comes out next Thursday and there will be some more hurdles after that.

The visiting nurse supervisor visited me yesterday. She collected a lot of information, including the catheter size. She was very impressed that I needed a size 18 diameter catheter :) .

Very nice of you to post for us, Tom. You "sound" very much your energetic, feisty self. That's great to see.

Best wishes for a speedy and uneventful recovery and improvement every day, but don't be discouraged by an occasional setback, because your overall trend line will be upward. In fact, maybe you can derive the equation of your improvement trend line to share here. :D

Feel better soon.

Hi everyone,

I wanted to toss out an idea for a future meetup/activity. Yesterday I ran the Disneyland Half Marathon (no, I'm not suggesting that we all go run a half marathon :lol:). Most of the race course was actually outside the Disneyland parks, stretching out to Honda Center, through Angel Stadium, and back. There were a lot of organized groups along the route to cheer runners along - from high school marching bands and cheerleading squads, to boy scouts and girl scouts, to salsa dancers, and more.

There were also 3 car enthusiast clubs parked along the course with lots of great looking cars on display as we ran by - a classic car group, a Mustang group, and a Corvette group. Immediately that made me think, why not a LEAF or EV group? Might be fun to hang out for a few hours, chatting and cheering on 15,000 runners, and probably getting interest from a few along the way.

I would assume that this would have to be coordinated with Disney and/or the city of Anaheim. The next Disneyland races are the Tinkerbell Half Marathon (Jan 20 - might be cold?) or next year's Disneyland Half (Labor Day weekend). If there's interest, I can see if I can find out more info.

Also, Tom, great to hear that you're doing well! :)

Hopefully we'll get out to another gathering soon...

Talked with Tom on Monday afternoon. He sounded great and said that he was doing well.

Won't make this meeting. With my drop in capacity, I can't make the 2,611 mile trip.

Where are you?
In the land of Far Far Away?

I just talked to Tom and he is due to see the doctor on
Thursday, having the you-know-what tube yanked out
of his you-know-where!

Then, the real fun begins.
However, he seems to be healing well, with no major
problems so far. Keep up the good thoughts for him.
He is starting to read the forum again.

I spent the day helping my 1st wife prepare for the
33 second-graders that show up tomorrow morning
at 7:30 AM in her classroom to discover new wonders.

"What is a typewriter?", one might ask them.
"Never heard of that, what is it?", comes the reply. :D

Tom,

I wanted to wish you a speedy recovery.

Sorry I will have to miss both gatherings this month...

Less than 40 hours until our Gathering at the HTB in Cerritos.

Tom's biopsy results indicate clear margins and lymph nodes.
He was told to wait another 7 days before driving, so he
looks forward to joining us on the 22nd in Santa Ana.
Yes, the you-know-what came out of you-know-where OK. :D

If anybody can loan their GID-Meter to Tony Williams to use during
his range testing of lowered-capacity cars in Phoenix this coming
weekend, please PM me and I will get them to Tony on Thursday.

I have two, Gregg has said OK, and others?

I will try to make two more if I get the needed parts in time.
Thanks, Gary

We had 6 regulars, with 5 LEAFS, and then a visitor from San Diego - Tony Williams.

A small group, just a "Cluster", but a nice time.

If you have a GID-Meter, please see the previous post.

If you are going to the Nissan Innovation Event on Saturday,
you might want to gather with others for a buffet lunch
at the Cerritos HTB.

Unless you arrange here to meet others, we will consider
that it was not convenient for you to gather before the
event, or... that you have a real life. :lol:

Our next regular Gathering is the following Saturday, the 22nd
of September, at the Hometown Buffet on 17th in Santa Ana.

It looks like I am going to order a couple of J1772 changing cables with the ITT
connector from Leviton, about $126 (plus about $10 tax).
About 25 feet, not coiled, 30A cord, apparently the RU listed connector.

Does anybody want me to include them in this order?

Looks good for anyone thinking of building an Open EVSE.
Reply soon, please.

Back