Bumper Vinyl & Debadged

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGneutrino

Was quoted $200+ from a shop to put the vinyl on. Instead, paid $15 for vinyl on Amazon and did it myself.

I've been removing the badges from our cars for more than a decade now, so those had to come off, too.

2012-09-11_16-35-56_141.jpg

2012-09-11_16-48-28_744.jpg

To take off badges the best way is to heat up the adhesive using a hair dryer or heat gun. Don't just point and shoot, rather wave back and forth so it doesn't heat up too much. After several minutes the badge should be very warm, you can then take dental floss behind it. Sometimes the dental floss will break so if you have fishing wire that's probably better.

gfederas said:
how do you remove badges? hair dryer to melt glue? any bolts or intrusions?

I used to try the heat, floss, fishing line techniques. Now, I just use a plastic putty knife. No heat needed. With the LEAF, all the badging was removed in about five minutes. I used a small amount of Goof-Off to get the glue remnants off on the hatch.

I used to try the heat, floss, fishing line techniques. Now, I just use a plastic putty knife. No heat needed. With the LEAF, all the badging was removed in about five minutes. I used a small amount of Goof-Off to get the glue remnants off on the hatch.
BIGneutrino, you didn't have any problem popping them off the thin paint? :shock: I want to remove my zero emission badge from the hatch and place my "ELECTRIC" badge there, but after reading somewhere that the thin paint could be damaged if not done very carefully, I've been putting it off. I have a new plastic putty knife... :)...please say I'll be fine? :roll:

When removing the rear badges with the plastic putty knife, there was much more glue left than after the removal of the door badging. No damage was done...just a bunch of glue residue to rub off (easily done with Goo-Gone-type liquid).

Back