No subject

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Discount Tire - $40 bucks or $60 for lifetime balance and rotation. The dealer will only rotate them and give you shitty coffee.

cracovian said:
Discount Tire - $40 bucks or $60 for lifetime balance and rotation.
Wow--$40-60?!?! The Discount Tire shop out here in CA has always done free rotations w/ balance for me, even on tires I didn't purchase from them, like the OEM tires on the Leaf. They will even do it every 3000 miles instead of the 7500 recommended by Nissan. Of course, I have bought a sh!tload of tires from them over the last 30 years, so maybe I am a preferred customer or something. I have never paid for their extended warranty or "road hazard certificates" either, but they have always done free repairs for me as well. They have even matched prices from online suppliers like Tire Rack for me, will flip/mount/balance loose race tires I bring in for $10/wheel, and there is a shop less than 5 miles from my home, so I am a loyal customer and give them all my business.

TT

Ditto on free Discount Tire rotation in AZ. It doesn't hurt to call up your local Discount Tire stores and ask if they'd do it for you for free.

Do it yourself.

See the LEAF Wiki regarding jacking the car.

I make it a point to rotate my tires myself, using a torque wrench. I have never had a shop torque lug nuts to the proper values. Under-tightening and over-tightening are both bad.

Nubo said:
Do it yourself.

See the LEAF Wiki regarding jacking the car.

I make it a point to rotate my tires myself, using a torque wrench. I have never had a shop torque lug nuts to the proper values. Under-tightening and over-tightening are both bad.
And...what ft-lbs do you torque them to?

Nubo said:
I have never had a shop torque lug nuts to the proper values.
You are going to the wrong shops, apparently. My Discount Tire store always uses a torque stick on their impact drivers with a setting below the maximum for the car when mounting tires, and follows that up with a hand torque wrench set to the exact spec. This is exactly the same procedure I use when mounting my own wheels on my cars.

TT

derkraut said:
And...what ft-lbs do you torque them to?
Spec for wheel nut torque on the Leaf is 108 Nm or 80 ft.-lbs. per the service manual.

leafwheeltorque.jpg

TT

ttweed said:
Nubo said:
You are going to the wrong shops, apparently. My Discount Tire store always uses a torque stick on their impact drivers with a setting below the maximum for the car when mounting tires, and follows that up with a hand torque wrench set to the exact spec. This is exactly the same procedure I use when mounting my own wheels on my cars.TT

+1!

ttweed said:
Nubo said:
You are going to the wrong shops, apparently. My Discount Tire store always uses a torque stick on their impact drivers with a setting below the maximum for the car when mounting tires, and follows that up with a hand torque wrench set to the exact spec. This is exactly the same procedure I use when mounting my own wheels on my cars.

TT

Apparently so. Typically they would over-torque with the impact wrench though I've also had some under-torqued.

But in any case, DIY wheel rotation is pretty simple, costs nothing, you can get the torque exactly right, and it gives you an opportunity to inspect tires, brakes, rotors, shocks, joints and boots.

Back