Wholesale value of the 2011 Leaf @Auction March 2018

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CarMax San Diego used LEAF inventory...

http://www.carmax.com/enus/search-results/default.html?search=nissan+leaf&Ep=search%3azip%3azip+entry&AZ=92124&ADc=10" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

2 LEAFs there now, $28K with 5K miles and $27K with 13K miles.... :)

Randy said:
CarMax San Diego used LEAF inventory...

http://www.carmax.com/enus/search-results/default.html?search=nissan+leaf&Ep=search%3azip%3azip+entry&AZ=92124&ADc=10" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

2 LEAFs there now, $28K with 5K miles and $27K with 13K miles.... :)

My car is in Irvine. I typed in "any distance" and "highest miles".

I relaxed the search and found 8 cars....All priced similiarly....$25K - $28K

I'm biased as an original LEAF owner, but will people really pay those prices? Doesn't seem realistic...

I guess it's the uneducated selling to the uneducated.....Caveat Emptor......

TomT said:
I think one issue was that the rental cost was high compared to what a similar ICE would rent for... Many people probably said, "Why bother AND have to worry about range and chargers..."
Only reason to rent would be for an extended test drive.

ENIAC said:
I can give you one data point. I was reading where year old LEAF rental cars are now being sold off which were never or very rarely rented. Many only had a couple of hundred miles on them.
Where were you reading ?

I doubt most of the used cars sold are rentals. May be people buying Leaf without realizing the limitations & selling them off in a month or two (like one Google guy who used to post here did ?).

Yep, and that is not a very big market I suspect.

smkettner said:
TomT said:
I think one issue was that the rental cost was high compared to what a similar ICE would rent for... Many people probably said, "Why bother AND have to worry about range and chargers..."
Only reason to rent would be for an extended test drive.

evnow said:
ENIAC said:
I can give you one data point. I was reading where year old LEAF rental cars are now being sold off which were never or very rarely rented. Many only had a couple of hundred miles on them.
Where were you reading ?

I doubt most of the used cars sold are rentals. May be people buying Leaf without realizing the limitations & selling them off in a month or two (like one Google guy who used to post here did ?).
Just as a point of reference, Rental Car firms have very firm parameters for rotation of vehicles out of their fleets. These are 1) milage limitations (usually 30K miles) or time in service (usually less than 1 year)

It is routine to see high-line and specialty vehicles (like the LEAF) to rotate out of the fleet at auction with very low mileages.

Other sources of very low-mileage cars at dealer auctions include:

- Roll backs (where a car is sold, and then it is determined that the buyer can't meet credit requirements, so the car is repossessed and cannot be resold as new)
- Manufacturer event promotional cars (cars that are used as transportation at a sporting event or other type of public event by a manufacturer for promotional purposes)
- Lemon Law buybacks, but these are clearly marked and have a salvage title
- Buyers remorse buybacks from states that have laws that allow this

So if these updates and price changes are for real, pre 2013 models could loose a lot value.

http://green.autoblog.com/2012/08/16/2013-nissan-leaf-will-go-25-further-could-cost-a-lot-less/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

IBELEAF said:
So if these updates and price changes are for real, pre 2013 models could loose a lot value.

And then when the 2015 models come out the pre 2015 models could loose a lot of value. Repeat.

The LEAF, as with 99.9% of cars, is not an investment. It loses money the moment you sign the dotted line and every day you still own it. Every few years a new, better, flashier, faster, more efficient, better equipped model of every car is on sale and the one you own goes down in value - it's just the nature of things. Add to that buying a first gen of anything you typically pay a higher price for something that will only improve of functionality and get cheaper in price.

Heck, my first generation Barnes and Noble Nook was $250 (a gift) and you can get one now for $89 that's smaller, has a clearer screen and better battery life.

With that being said, with the incentives we received for the car I think it's resale is doing quite well for being 1 year old.

By that I mean, today you can sell 2011 Leaf close to original purchase price but once 2013 model rolls out with lower price and much needed updates the value of 2011 Leaf probably will be lower by several thousands. It's a speculation of course, but I decided to jump ship while I still could.

EricBayArea said:
IBELEAF said:

And then when the 2015 models come out the pre 2015 models could loose a lot of value. Repeat.

The LEAF, as with 99.9% of cars, is not an investment. It loses money the moment you sign the dotted line and every day you still own it. Every few years a new, better, flashier, faster, more efficient, better equipped model of every car is on sale and the one you own goes down in value - it's just the nature of things. Add to that buying a first gen of anything you typically pay a higher price for something that will only improve of functionality and get cheaper in price.

Heck, my first generation Barnes and Noble Nook was $250 (a gift) and you can get one now for $89 that's smaller, has a clearer screen and better battery life.

With that being said, with the incentives we received for the car I think it's resale is doing quite well for being 1 year old.

Longer term, I think the major factor determining LEAF resale values will be future battery costs and/or whether the battery will be upgradable for 2011-12 LEAFs.

IMO, If we can buy 2011-12 LEAF compatible ~30 kWh battery packs for under ~$10k in five years, LEAF resale values will far exceed comparable ICEVs/PHEVs. If Nissan move on to non-compatible future battery designs, such as those requiring ATM, for example, LEAF resale values will be much lower.

However, I think there is good reason to expect very poor resale values for all 2011-12 ICEVs/PHEVs five years from now, as I don't see anything (other than gas prices consistently below $3 a gallon) stopping the eventual market realization, that current ICEVs/PHEVs are obsolescent designs.

Edit 9/17:

I just noticed that I left a single important word, current, out of my earlier post.

Prices on 2011 LEAF SLs continue to show a normal depreciation curve for a 2 model year old vehicle during a fall model transition period. Actual wholesale transactions show a range $19.6K to $21.7K with retail holding steady at about $25K.

Leaf-wholesale-Manhiem-9-17.jpg

that's a shame... that car has all it's capacity bars and only 7500 miles - actually a good deal.

Problem is that all LEAF's are soon to be worth near zero since word will get out that the useful life of a LEAF is 50k... then, maybe 19k still isn't cheap enough.

question is: who is still buying a new LEAF?

gaswalla said:
that's a shame... that car has all it's capacity bars and only 7500 miles - actually a good deal.

Not if it was brought to LA from Arizona ;) . It is at a Chevy dealer, it looks like somebody trade it in for a Volt.

camasleaf said:
gaswalla said:

Not if it was brought to LA from Arizona ;) . It is at a Chevy dealer, it looks like somebody trade it in for a Volt.

good point about not knowing where the car came from.. but, we should all be aware that since no one knows the geographic history of any LEAFs, this affects every LEAF's resale value, even the folks up north in Washington.. (if not, the AZ folks need to unload their LEAF's in WA - it'll be well worth their transport costs)

If you get the CarFax report, you can find out where the car was first registered. That will tell you whether it was an Arizona (or Texas, or Florida) car, or not.

Back