Leaf vs. Tesla

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gsleaf

After looking at the Model S I had the following question... How is it that the Tesla can have enough free space that it has a trunk in the back and front, but the Leaf has a whole engine compartment full of stuff up front?

279564_4553525876600_2053407091_o.jpg

its the only picture I could find with them side by side. Wish it was a better angle, but you can see the width difference and if you look closely you can see the length difference as well.

gsleaf said:
Ahh, that makes sense. I guess I hadn't realized that for some reason. The Leaf feels so much roomier inside.
Roomier on the inside than the Model S??
While I have had the opportunity to sit in a Leaf, but not yet a Model S, I find it hard to believe that I am reading your post correctly.

As for the huge amount of cargo capacity, the Model S uses a 'skateboard' design for the batteries. The battery pack is built along the bottom of the car. This provides a number of advantages, one of which is more cargo room.

Zythryn said:
While I have had the opportunity to sit in a Leaf, but not yet a Model S, I find it hard to believe that I am reading your post correctly.

I only sat in the front drivers side for about 40 seconds, but that was my impression. I may have to try it again sometime and see if my impression changes.

palmermd said:
its the only picture I could find with them side by side. Wish it was a better angle, but you can see the width difference and if you look closely you can see the length difference as well.
OT from this thread but that picture reminded me of something I've been wondering about, is the stage being set for people to bitch about charging cables being a tripping hazard? And along come the lawyers...

The motor in the Leaf is located pretty low:
nissan-leaf-illo-b-de.jpg

Nissan put the control electronics on top of it, and that's what looks like the big "engine" in the front bay.

I can't help but think they could have packaged those electronics better to give us a little bit of storage up front.

Better design.

The S is designed from the ground up as an electric.. the motor and inverter are on the rear axle and so on.. the Leaf is based on existing Nissan cars and their parts bin, plus its designed to be built in a conventional assembly line.. motor/inverter in the front, batteries in the gas tank area etc.. an interesting thing about the Leaf is that they did not put the charger under the hood, apparently they had no room!

Herm said:
Better design.

The S is designed from the ground up as an electric.. the motor and inverter are on the rear axle and so on.. the Leaf is based on existing Nissan cars and their parts bin, plus its designed to be built in a conventional assembly line.. motor/inverter in the front, batteries in the gas tank area etc.. an interesting thing about the Leaf is that they did not put the charger under the hood, apparently they had no room!

Isn't the charger near the rear? I heard it was in the back because they were originally planning for wireless charging. No idea if that's true or not.

I'm not really complaining about this, I was just curious. My biggest gripe about the Leaf is that it doesn't have a change drawer up front to put pens, membership cards, etc. in.

gsleaf said:
I'm not really complaining about this, I was just curious. My biggest gripe about the Leaf is that it doesn't have a change drawer up front to put pens, membership cards, etc. in.

Huh ? What about that bin under the armrest ? I keep all that stuff there, padlock for the charging cable, iPhone USB cable, parking cards, pens etc.

And Tesla are masters of packaging. Rear wheel drive also makes it easier, the inverter being mounted inline of the motor is pure genius IMHO. Chargers are under the rear seat and the battery is a structural member. Brilliantly executed.

jkirkebo said:
Huh ? What about that bin under the armrest ? I keep all that stuff there, padlock for the charging cable, iPhone USB cable, parking cards, pens etc.

And Tesla are masters of packaging. Rear wheel drive also makes it easier, the inverter being mounted inline of the motor is pure genius IMHO. Chargers are under the rear seat and the battery is a structural member. Brilliantly executed.

That one actually works well, but it's within reach of my 3 year old.

That's cool about the Tesla packaging, they seem to have done an excellent job for their first mass-market product.

gsleaf said:
Zythryn said:
I only sat in the front drivers side for about 40 seconds, but that was my impression. I may have to try it again sometime and see if my impression changes.
The LEAF is roomier in some dimensions, namely headroom, but not others:
Code:
                Weight     Length     Width* / Height   Front/Rear Headroom/Legroom/Cargo
Nissan Leaf     3500 lbs.  175.0"     69.7" / 61.0"     41.2" / 37.3" / 31.1" / 14.5-24.0 cu ft.
Tesla Model S   4647 lbs.  196.0"     77.3" / 56.5"     38.8" / 35.3" / 42.7" / 31.6 cu ft.
Chevy Volt      3781 lbs.  177.1"     70.4" / 56.6"     37.8" / 36.0" / 34.1" / 10.6 cu ft.
Toyota RAV4     3569 lbs.  181.9"     68.3" / 66.3"     40.8" / 39.7" / 41.8" / 39 cu. ft.
Toyota Prius    3042 lbs.  175.6"     68.7" / 58.7"     38.6" / 37.6" / 36.0" / 21.6 cu ft.

*width without mirrors
(Thanks to Ray for the table formatting tip to use "code".)

davewill said:
gsleaf said:
That one actually works well, but it's within reach of my 3 year old.
Your three year old can reach the center console latch from a child seat in the back?

Haha, it's just when she gets in/out. She insists on climbing in/out herself and occasionally I'm not paying attention as she digs through the center console. :p

jkirkebo said:
gsleaf said:

I hear you can fit 7 or 8 guns in there as well.

Back