Phoenix Range Test Results, September 15, 2012

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm glad to see that range chart extracted from the TSB...I've never seen that before, and it's the kind of information I've been calling on Nissan to make fully available for a while now. As owners, we have a right to know what we should expect to be "normal" degradation.

mwalsh said:
I'm glad to see that range chart extracted from the TSB...I've never seen that before, and it's the kind of information I've been calling on Nissan to make fully available for a while now. As owners, we have a right to know what we should expect to be "normal" degradation.
NTB11-076a ONLY covers new range expectations, as Tony provided in the OP of this thread. The degradation chart shown later is purely the fabrication of Yanquetino.

RegGuheert said:
mwalsh said:
NTB11-076a ONLY covers new range expectations, as Tony provided in the OP of this thread. The degradation chart shown later is purely the fabrication of Yanquetino.

I said chart. I really meant table. I can see he's marked his chart as an extrapolation. Is the table of his own manufacture too?

Oh, and is there a link to the TSB, so I could see it with my own eyes? Edit: Never mind...found it.

mwalsh said:
Oh, and is there a link to the TSB, so I could see it with my own eyes? Edit: Never mind...found it.
For everyone else, here is a link to a post by TickTock containing a partial scan of the first page of NTB11-076a:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=8331&start=357" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yanquetino said:
Sigh.... Given what I have experienced in these forum discussions, I hesitate to state this, but... I draw very different conclusions: AZ Leaf Capacity Kerfuffle
I really hesitate to criticize a fellow Utoid, but since you so freely criticize other peoples hard work, I hope that you take it as well as you give it out.

I used to think that range testing would be an easy thing to do. Now that I have done a few tests I find I have more questions than answers. Maybe Mark and Tony can help me fill in the blanks.

Mark where is the data from your actual over the road range testing?
How far can your car travel on level ground at 65 mph?
What is the manufacture date of your vehicle ( Drivers door post ) ?
How many miles are on the odometer ?
Does your actual data fit your projected data on the page above ?

Tony how many of the Casa Grande 6 where included in the Tempe 12 ?
Back on page one of this tread there is a table with a column for Manufacture year. Could we change that to have month and year from the tag on the car?

RegGuheert said:
That is the most misleading (? fraudulent) part of the article. It took me a while to figure out that he made the whole thing up. Nissan never said a thing about how mileage would affect capacity loss.

Reg-Thanks for the post. I do in fact still love the LEAF and can't imagine driving anything else. But, as you've stated it's not living up to nearly any of the marketing. Most of that I learned to live with in the first 6 months, but these last 6 months is a different story.

Opossum has had EVs his whole life. Here's how I summed up my first EV experience for some local enthusiasts back in June, it's gotten much worse since then.

Cool!!! An EV with a hundred mile range. I want one!
Wow, look at the big polar bear, boy those are yummy cheesecake bites.
Wow! I love my new car!!! It's so much better than I hoped for!!! I'm going to tell all my friends.
Wow! Going 65 really cuts into range. 10-20% gone.
Wow! Even at 55, going north on the 51 really cuts into range 10-15% gone.
Oh no, my new car is being towed across town...
Yay, got my car back, uh oh, broken again... Yay I got my car back, uh oh, broken again. Ok, early adopter is one thing, this is ridiculous, it better be fixed this time.
Yay! I love my car again.
Hmm, I expected the AC to reduce range, but 10%? Ok, I can deal.
Oh, it's been a year and now takes 2 more bars to to 40 miles than it did last year. Lost a capacity bar 1 week after 12 month checkup. 15% gone.
Oh, the EV infrastructure that I was counting on to make up for battery degradation is going to charge so much that an ICE would be more economical.
What the heck am I going to do with a car that requires a 2 hour extra charge to go 80 miles.

klapauzius said:
SNIP

Notably the 8 bar car also had the lowest M/kWH, any idea why that is? If we extrapolate to e.g. 4.2 M/kWh, which is the mean for the other cars, it would have gone 67.3 miles, which makes it less of an outlier in terms of range as it appears. This would also lower the overall correlation of observed range with e.g. capacity bars or gids.

Given the variation in (reported) efficiency, one should actually consider the quotient of actual range (lets assume that these values are comparable, i.e. every car was indeed driven to turtle) of range measured divided by efficiency.

The you would get the following list
[Car] [Apparent capacity (=range/efficiency)] [normalized capacity = (apparent cp- <apparent cp>)/std(apparent cp)
Red429 16.7 -0.43
Blue494 16.0 -0.94
Blue534 18.0 0.57

SNIP

Blue744 16.4 -0.63
-----------------
mean 17.3 std 1.3

So all tested cars (with this small sample size), fall within 2 standard deviations of the sample mean, so technically, no outliers there. If we now had results for supposedly healthy new batteries (e.g (e.g. for at least 12 (ideally 30 or so) brand new leafs) under the same conditions, we could actually tell which of the tested cars had significant degradation. If we assume that 19.6 apparent capacity (Black782) is representative of the mean for a healthy battery, and we have the same variation as in our sample of 11 bad cars then we have

SNIP

Not sure that normalizing by efficiency is appropriate because as the battery degrades it increases its internal resistance and becomes less efficient, so you are normalizing by something that is directly related to the hypothesized effect.

KJD said:
Mark where is the data from your actual over the road range testing?

Tony how many of the Casa Grande 6 where included in the Tempe 12 ?
Back on page one of this tread there is a table with a column for Manufacture year. Could we change that to have month and year from the tag on the car?

Armchair quarterbacking rarely includes any hard work; just criticism as easy as typing on a keyboard. So, I'm confident what Mark's answer will be to your question. I, on the other hand, have probably hundreds of hours doing it, and documenting my work for the past over one year here.

In the OP, it should mention that 4 of the 12 were at Casa Grande. Yes, I can include the month and year; we have that data. Both 2012's were manufactured 4/2012, and the oldest was 2/2011 from memory.

azdre said:
Reg-Thanks for the post. I do in fact still love the LEAF and can't imagine driving anything else. But, as you've stated it's not living up to nearly any of the marketing. Most of that I learned to live with in the first 6 months, but these last 6 months is a different story.

Opossum has had EVs his whole life. Here's how I summed up my first EV experience for some local enthusiasts back in June, it's gotten much worse since then.

Cool!!! An EV with a hundred mile range. I want one!
Wow, look at the big polar bear, boy those are yummy cheesecake bites.
Wow! I love my new car!!! It's so much better than I hoped for!!! I'm going to tell all my friends.
Wow! Going 65 really cuts into range. 10-20% gone.
Wow! Even at 55, going north on the 51 really cuts into range 10-15% gone.
Oh no, my new car is being towed across town...
Yay, got my car back, uh oh, broken again... Yay I got my car back, uh oh, broken again. Ok, early adopter is one thing, this is ridiculous, it better be fixed this time.
Yay! I love my car again.
Hmm, I expected the AC to reduce range, but 10%? Ok, I can deal.
Oh, it's been a year and now takes 2 more bars to to 40 miles than it did last year. Lost a capacity bar 1 week after 12 month checkup. 15% gone.
Oh, the EV infrastructure that I was counting on to make up for battery degradation is going to charge so much that an ICE would be more economical.
What the heck am I going to do with a car that requires a 2 hour extra charge to go 80 miles.
Just one more line to ad:
Wow! If Nissan doesn't come through with a solution to the battery problems in heat prone areas, I am so glad that I have GAP insurance for my purchase. As long as someone totals my car before it's paid for (financed the whole enchilada $36,000), I'll be looking better than at the end with a large valueless paperweight with a PV panel on top.

Yanquetino said:
Sigh.... Given what I have experienced in these forum discussions, I hesitate to state this, but... I draw very different conclusions:

I have several issues with this calculation.
First, as others have suggested, if a Leaf at warmer temperatures and at altitude could only travel the minimum rated 76 miles, the same Leaf at sea level and 20 C would be short. The fair way to handle this is to start with the center of the new range, 80 miles, and then to adjust for conditions, which would give a near 84 mile range.
Second, and this is somewhat of a minor point, but the average miles per month should be 1042 so that the end of the chart is at 100,000 miles, not at 96,000. Yes, a 4% difference. Minor.

I calculate the minimum least mean squared error between the estimated remaining range based on the two corrections above and the measured ranges from the road test with about a 2.9 times faster loss than the 100,000 mile warranty period would suggest. This projects in AZ an average battery pack life of 35,000 miles. Now, I doubt is this is an unbiased sample of AZ leafs, so use this number with caution for that reason. Also the rated range is taken at 84 miles, and that isn't exact. Also the test was fairly good, but not perfect. The sample size is too small to make the confidence in this calculation high. One Leaf was from California and I didn't adjust for that. Several Leafs were not driven to turtle and I accepted the adjustment for that. YMMV. Several other cautions apply.

At the nominal case of 100,000 mile life to 70%:
The cost per mile of battery pack replacements based on $5000 replacement cost would be $0.05 per mile. Add this to the electric cost of $0.02/mile to $0.10/mile, and $0.07/mile to $0.15/mile is a fairly reasonable cost.

At the AZ projected 35,000 mile life to 70%:
The cost per mile of battery pack replacements based on $5000 replacement cost would be $0.14 per mile. Add this to the electric cost of $0.02/mile to $0.10/mile, and $0.16/mile to $0.24/mile is still a fairly reasonable cost per mile.

As a reference, a Toyota Prius would cost around $0.07/mile for gasoline at $3.50/gallon, and has maintenance and repair costs of around $0.07/mile. A Ford Edge might be more like $0.16/mile for gasoline and $0.25/mile counting maintenance and repair costs. So these costs are not out of line.

When horrid Nissan communications mixed with unrealistic owner expectations collide with reality, a food fight is likely. More noise than information is expected for the next 1000 replies. A little respect for those we disagree with will go a long way. Please show some respect to those you disagree with.

i thought it was 30% after 10 years? or is that only in CA (with its stronger warranty requirements? :shock: ) or 120,000 miles at 12,000 miles per year?

DaveinOlyWA said:
i thought it was 30% after 10 years? or is that only in CA (with its stronger warranty requirements? :shock: ) or 120,000 miles at 12,000 miles per year?

"The Lithium-Ion coverage period is 96 months or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first." Source Publication No.: WB1E 0ZE0U0 (which is for a 2012)

The disclosure form I signed says 80% after 5 years. A linear projection would give about 70% at 96 months. Not an iron clad case, but seems reasonable.

Edit: typo correction

In a previous post, ALLWATZ said:

"Wow! If Nissan doesn't come through with a solution to the battery problems in heat prone areas, I am so glad that I have GAP insurance for my purchase. As long as someone totals my car before it's paid for (financed the whole enchilada $36,000), I'll be looking better than at the end with a large valueless paperweight with a PV panel on top."

IMHO, comments like the above are really counter-productive. I wish we could keep things in perspective. If this "flaming" keeps up, we may be viewing a movie titled "Who killed the Nissan Leaf?" in a few years. Yes--I live in a moderate climate; My Leaf is almost 2yrs old; I have over 9K miles on the odometer; I have no apparent reduction in range or battery capacity loss; This is absolutely the best automobile I've ever owned (not leased); It is perfect for our needs: average ~50 miles per day, mostly ~20 miles from home. And, the most important issue: my wife LOVES it!

WetEV said:
One Leaf had a replacement pack and I didn't adjust for that. Several Leafs were not driven to turtle and I accepted the adjustment for that. YMMV. Several other cautions apply.

I'm not aware of any car with a new pack in our test.

Mark Perry has responded, pretty much as expected:

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1079343_nissan-suggests-leaf-battery-capacity-loss-due-to-high-miles-exclusive" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TonyWilliams said:
WetEV said:
One Leaf had a replacement pack and I didn't adjust for that. Several Leafs were not driven to turtle and I accepted the adjustment for that. YMMV. Several other cautions apply.

I'm not aware of any car with a new pack in our test.

Thank you for the polite correction.

TonyWilliams said:

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1079343_nissan-suggests-leaf-battery-capacity-loss-due-to-high-miles-exclusive" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Looking at 450 Nissan Leafs now in Arizona, Perry said, using data each car transmits to a Nissan control center, it appears that Leafs in Arizona are "on a glide path" to average battery capacity of 76 percent after five years rather than 80 percent."

Taking this at face value, Nissan needs to notice that the owner satisfaction or dissatisfaction isn't based on the average loss, but on the loss in that owner's car. The old joke about "Bill Gates walking into a bar and as the average wealth of the bar patrons is then over a billion dollars, the bar owner doubles the drink prices" probably applies somehow...

I think it's worth making it super easy for everyone to see what NTB11-076a is all about. Here's a link to the full document. And, here's the pertinent part that is the cause of much debate.

ntb11-076a_range.png

Given the absence any authoritative data from Nissan stating what the minimum capacity of a new battery shall be under specific conditions, the best we have is NTB11-076a. Please correct me if there is any more authoritative information from Nissan on this.

Clearly, Nissan has left some room for manufacturing tolerances in this range expectation (+/- 5%, to be exact). Tolerances are a normal part of anything that is mass produced. Keep in mind that these tolerances exist in the battery (its effective capacity), the efficiency of the rest of the power train, and the instrumentation that is used to measure the battery and provide the 4.0 miles/kw data required to use the range chart provide above in NTB11-076a. A 5% tolerance is well within reason for the cumulative tolerances of all systems that make up the car.

Tony Williams is convinced that by demonstrating a new car will cover 84 miles at 4.0 miles/kw, this settles the arguments about what the baseline expectation for all cars shall be. However, in the most objective frame of mind, it is statistically insignificant and proves nothing. I do not doubt that a single car, or set of cars, will be capable of achieving this range.

The crux of all arguments (regardless of bias) is that given a beginning of life capacity of XX kw/h, the capacity loss after YY time, or ZZ miles, is/isn't excessive. These arguments are less than objective for two very significant reasons:
  • First, we MUST establish a statistically significant, new battery capacity baseline and the standard deviation. In absence of this, the best data we have to go with is NTB11-076a. Sadly, we don't know how many sigma Nissan used when they bounded their tolerances for publication.
  • Second, we MUST establish what the nominal schedule for capacity degradation is within 2 or 3 sigma allowances. Nissan has given little guidance other than the 2 data points that some are making linear assumptions with and extrapolating upon. But, we simply don't know what to expect without collecting a wide array of data from cars in all regions of the country.

I want to thank Tony and the rest of the crew that performed testing, with especial thanks to the patience/understanding of the members whose cars were damaged in the towing. I would humbly ask that Tony share ALL the data, in one place (as opposed to sprinkled throughout all these many pages) with all the worts and any incompleteness clearly highlighted. It is very understandable that typos and errors will be made -- please correct such mistakes as needed and provide a dated change log showing what/why something is changed.

The next step is to objectively establish a baseline and nominal degradation rates. How can I help with this cause?

<soapbox=on>
The amount of FUD (fear, uncertainty, doubt) that is generated on this site due to incomplete analysis is just as frustrating as Nissan's seemingly dismissive/non-responsive handling of the situation.

Nissan made it very clear from the beginning that "gradual capacity loss" was not warrantied, yet, we all jumped head first into this pool of uncertainty without any formal definition of the term "gradual" when we bought/leased our cars. Is that Nissan's fault? Partially, yes -- they wrote the ambiguous warranty. We are just as culpable for agreeing the terms were acceptable.

At the rate that many early adopters are using incomplete data to prove a biased point, market forces will require that such ambiguous warranty terms MUST be addressed for future EV programs to be successful. This will be a Good Thing in the long run, but, the short-term outcome is tenuous and we should be prepared for the worst.
<soapbox=off>

WetEV said:
TonyWilliams said:

"Looking at 450 Nissan Leafs now in Arizona, Perry said, using data each car transmits to a Nissan control center, it appears that Leafs in Arizona are "on a glide path" to average battery capacity of 76 percent after five years rather than 80 percent."

Taking this at face value, Nissan needs to notice that the owner satisfaction or dissatisfaction isn't based on the average loss, but on the loss in that owner's car. The old joke about "Bill Gates walking into a bar and as the average wealth of the bar patrons is then over a billion dollars, the bar owner doubles the drink prices" probably applies somehow...

Yes, I just see this doing anything but delaying the inevitable. Next summer in Phoenix, there will be dozens and dozens of multi-bar loser LEAFs. Just saying everything is normal and "average" ain't gunna cut it.

derkraut said:
In a previous post, ALLWATZ said:

"Wow! If Nissan doesn't come through with a solution to the battery problems in heat prone areas, I am so glad that I have GAP insurance for my purchase. As long as someone totals my car before it's paid for (financed the whole enchilada $36,000), I'll be looking better than at the end with a large valueless paperweight with a PV panel on top."

IMHO, comments like the above are really counter-productive. I wish we could keep things in perspective. If this "flaming" keeps up, we may be viewing a movie titled "Who killed the Nissan Leaf?" in a few years. Yes--I live in a moderate climate; My Leaf is almost 2yrs old; I have over 9K miles on the odometer; I have no apparent reduction in range or battery capacity loss; This is absolutely the best automobile I've ever owned (not leased); It is perfect for our needs: average ~50 miles per day, mostly ~20 miles from home. And, the most important issue: my wife LOVES it!
Counter-productive or true? The value has already dropped 70% for a 1 year old car (I was offered $10,000 at Fontana Nissan) so our perspectives may be different for a reason. As for your movie "Who killed the Nissan Leaf", the answer is of course Nissan. I'll tell you what, we could trade cars and then maybe your perspective would change!

Clearly they have a heat issue, but they are not willing to admit to it just yet and are still deflecting the conversation by saying its due to high mileage.

Those projections, based on battery testing during development of the Leaf, assume the car covers 12,500 miles a year, in climates largely similar to those of Los Angeles (50 to 90 degrees F, with an average temperature of 68 or 70 degrees).

They are saying we should not have the car over 90F and should average 69F. This sort of implies the excess heat in AZ is a problem but they do not say it outright.

Clearly mileage is not the determining factor in the loss of capacity because we have cars with double the mileage that the AZ cars have (TaylorSF) and have almost no loss of capacity, but this car is in the temperature range that they used in their projections quoted above. DaveinOly has similar mileage to the ones Nissan is claiming have excess mileage causing the degradation and his car shows very little loss of capacity.

Nissan is still deflecting attention and diverting from the real problem.

Back