Capacity Loss on 2011-2012 LEAFs

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DesertDenizen said:
I don’t wanna to be in this club!
I lost my first capacity bar today. Only 6,771 miles. Manufactured 6/21/2011, took ownership 7/25/2011. I charge to 80%, never did a QC and charged to 100% exactly three times. The 100% charges were done just before I drove so the car spent no time sitting with a full charge. Never drove below 2 SOC bars. Received all 5 stars at my first annual, which was on 7/25/2012. I only charge every other day or so. I start to charge at 6 in the morning and usually leave around 9 so my Leaf doesn’t even spend much time at 80% charge. My Leaf has spent 90-95% of its time between 3 and 8 SOC bars. My long term average is 5.7 m/kwh and I drive on the frontage roads, not the highway, so I never exceed 45 mph. Exclusively in Eco. It is parked under a carport. I am out in the desert so there is no blacktop or concrete, just dirt. Tucson averages about 6 degrees cooler than Phoenix. Summer temp bars are usually 6, I have driven (but not charged) with 7 temp bars for short durations, but not many times. My new case # is 9497015.

Added to the wiki. Thanks for the full set of info! Makes it much easier :D

Did i read that correct. Nissan is stating only 140 cars in the US have lost a bar. We have 96 people listed here. Are you kidding me. Every known bar looser is on this Forum. I call BS , I hope someone that sues will get all the Carwings Data from the US and spill the beans. This company is just trying to Kill the EV movement.

mksE55 said:
Did i read that correct. Nissan is stating only 140 cars in the US have lost a bar. We have 96 people listed here. Are you kidding me. Every known bar looser is on this Forum. I call BS , I hope someone that sues will get all the Carwings Data from the US and spill the beans. This company is just trying to Kill the EV movement.
No, Mark Perry was quoted as saying "less than 100". One of the recent articles in greencarreports.com or insideevs.com (can't remember which) stated that they had (? inside) information that was the number.

This is very unfortunate. You seem to have treated your car very well and not stressed the battery at all. What are the night/early morning temps in Tucson? I live in a somewhat similar climate area in the SF Bay area (East Bay) where we experience high day time temps but cool nights. My charging is done with an end timer at 0700 in the morning. So my charging usually takes place in the wee hours of the morning. I have certainly stressed the battery more than you have - 55 to 60 mile round trip commute and speeds up to 55mph, 60mph on downhills. I try to limit myself to 20kW output for most of my driving. I have charged to 100% once to thrice a month, never QC. Yesterday I got 5.6 miles on my 10th bar (80% charge). The car has around 17,500 miles on it with all 12 bars intact. I think you have a defective battery since your climate is not that different from mine and you have taken better care of your battery than even I have. That too with only 6771 miles! Hope Nissan takes care of this issue.

DesertDenizen said:
I don’t wanna to be in this club!
I lost my first capacity bar today. Only 6,771 miles. Manufactured 6/21/2011, took ownership 7/25/2011. I charge to 80%, never did a QC and charged to 100% exactly three times. The 100% charges were done just before I drove so the car spent no time sitting with a full charge. Never drove below 2 SOC bars. Received all 5 stars at my first annual, which was on 7/25/2012. I only charge every other day or so. I start to charge at 6 in the morning and usually leave around 9 so my Leaf doesn’t even spend much time at 80% charge. My Leaf has spent 90-95% of its time between 3 and 8 SOC bars. My long term average is 5.7 m/kwh and I drive on the frontage roads, not the highway, so I never exceed 45 mph. Exclusively in Eco. It is parked under a carport. I am out in the desert so there is no blacktop or concrete, just dirt. Tucson averages about 6 degrees cooler than Phoenix. Summer temp bars are usually 6, I have driven (but not charged) with 7 temp bars for short durations, but not many times. My new case # is 9497015.

Florida: 2012 Nissan Leaf added to the missing bars club 7467 miles. Leased began Labour Day 2012. This morning checked my overnight charging at it showed 80% charge and 9 bars.

I did not baby this car because I needed to use it to travel a 45 mile each way commute. So it spent June and July having 100% overnight charges on 110v, with another 100% charge at work on 240v. On those days that I couldn't charge for 4.5 hours at work, I charged at another station for several hours to make it home.

Just sent a note to my dealership. Will send the photo when I get home...
:(

09Bamb00 said:
Florida: 2012 Nissan Leaf added to the missing bars club 7467 miles. Leased began Labour Day 2012. This morning checked my overnight charging at it showed 80% charge and 9 bars.
That isn't a missing capacity bar. However, it does appear to be a warning that actual capacity bar loss may not be too far off.

Stoaty said:
mksE55 said:
No, Mark Perry was quoted as saying "less than 100". One of the recent articles in greencarreports.com or insideevs.com (can't remember which) stated that they had (? inside) information that was the number.

It's probably the number of "reported" cases. As everyone can see on the wiki, only about half of the people with losses have officially reported those losses to Nissan and received a case number. For those who don't frequent our forum, it's probably an even larger number of people who know they have losses but haven't called Nissan and gotten a case number.

vrwl said:
It's probably the number of "reported" cases. As everyone can see on the wiki, only about half of the people with losses have officially reported those losses to Nissan and received a case number. For those who don't frequent our forum, it's probably an even larger number of people who know they have losses but haven't called Nissan and gotten a case number.
If that's what it is, then it is extremely disingenuous!! NISSAN KNOWS EXACTLY HOW MANY OF THE LEAFS WHICH HAVE HAD THEIR ONE-YEAR BATTERY TEST HAVE LOST BARS!!

RegGuheert said:
vrwl said:
If that's what it is, then it is extremely disingenuous!! NISSAN KNOWS EXACTLY HOW MANY OF THE LEAFS WHICH HAVE HAD THEIR ONE-YEAR BATTERY TEST HAVE LOST BARS!!
I believe that this was the case in previous press releases As well, and only the number of reported cases was considered.

There are a few of us that lost a bar after the 1yr test. The test at the two year mark will be an eye opener.
I have not called for a case # because I am not certain my situation is unreasonable or completely unexpected.
I did not ask to be on the wiki or make any stong complaints. Just expressed some dissapointment.
Certainly there are far worse cases than mine that do need to be looked into.

smkettner said:
There are a few of us that lost a bar after the 1yr test. The test at the two year mark will be an eye opener.
I have not called for a case # because I am not certain my situation is unreasonable or completely unexpected.
I did not ask to be on the wiki or make any stong complaints. Just expressed some dissapointment.
Certainly there are far worse cases than mine that do need to be looked into.

IMHO, EVERYONE who loses a capacity bar this soon should report it and get a case number. I look at being listed on the wiki as providing data, NOT complaining. I agree that there are more severe cases, but the EV community will benefit if Nissan knows about all problems.

surfingslovak said:
azdre said:
Quote from the article: " average Phoenix customer mileage of 7,500 miles per year." Maybe it's yet another completely false report?
Anyone know why Phoenix Leafs would see less than national average annual vehicle miles? Are they perhaps counting rentals, fleet vehicles or Leafs on dealer lots in this statistic?

Phoenix is a HUGE winter home location for retirees from both northern USA and Canada. For the entire summer, those retirees aren't even there to drive. And, because they are retired, they aren't driving much when they do return to Phoenix in the winter.

rickbecker said:
IMHO, EVERYONE who loses a capacity bar this soon should report it and get a case number. I look at being listed on the wiki as providing data, NOT complaining. I agree that there are more severe cases, but the EV community will benefit if Nissan knows about all problems.

+ 1. If nothing else, it gives Nissan statistical information that may be useful.

Self reporting is not a great way to collect statistics. Two year battery checks will be starting in a few months and Nissan knows that is more reliable data for general analysis.

smkettner said:
Self reporting is not a great way to collect statistics. Two year battery checks will be starting in a few months and Nissan knows that is more reliable data for general analysis.
Agreed. Unfortunately, it seems Nissan is misrepresenting the data that they are collecting. We should continue to collect our own data even in this new period of glasnost.

TickTock,

It was good meeting you on Sunday on Plug in Day...Do you have any information on the Meeting you had with Nissan Today...can you update us on how they were able to 'Fully Satisfy you'? New 2013 Battery, New 2013 LEAF?

Thanks

dsh said:
TickTock,

After your appointment with Nissan to go over the results from Casa Grande, will you please let us know how Nissan attempted to "satisfy" you? I would like to know will they offer you a 2013 battery pack, buy back the car...offer a new LEAF, etc. as Mark Perry did stress that Nissan wanted to satisfy each owner individually..."The company's goal, is to discuss how to satisfy those owners. We want to make sure they're satisfied with their vehicles."

TickTock said:
I was called yesterday to set up an appointment to go over what they found during the investigation at Casa Grande. Said they would have some "technical people" there should I have any questions. I would be very surprised if I get to talk to actual engineers (in fact, the probability of that is vanishingly small), but any information is welcome at this point.

Let's not put too much pressure on the Phoenix folks who are meeting with Nissan. They're in a tough spot. Before Nissan discusses any kind of financial settlement, they'll probably want a non-disclosure agreement.

Ask yourself... if you had the choice of being 'made whole' by Nissan and keeping quiet, or revealing all to your friends on MNL and being stuck with a $30,000 car that no longer has much value, which would you choose?

How many folks can afford to ignore that kind of persuasion?

Understand that this is purely speculation on my part; maybe Nissan will reveal a plan that will help out all the affected LEAF owners. I sincerely hope so!

kolmstead said:
Let's not put too much pressure on the Phoenix folks who are meeting with Nissan. They're in a tough spot. Before Nissan discusses any kind of financial settlement, they'll probably want a non-disclosure agreement.

Ask yourself... if you had the choice of being 'made whole' by Nissan and keeping quiet, or revealing all to your friends on MNL and being stuck with a $30,000 car that no longer has much value, which would you choose?

Understand that this is purely speculation on my part; maybe Nissan will reveal a plan that will help out all the affected LEAF owners. I sincerely hope so!

Good point but, Tick Tock can just tell us if he is satisfied or not after talking with Nissan without giving any info.

Just my two cents,

Ian B

MrIanB said:
kolmstead said:

Good point but, Tick Tock can just tell us if he is satisfied or not after talking with Nissan without giving any info.

Just my two cents,

Ian B

+1 But if they do give something at least we would finally have an idea that there is a battery problem.

I dont understand this. WHY NDA, If they did nothing wrong , they should stand proud and tall. We stand behind our products. Great PR. Yes If they said , the cars are self destructing and if you dont tell any one we will give you your money back. I would say Keep your money , I will head to the nearest News Station and announce the disaster. I will be made right by a court of Law or Nissan they can chose how. We are not talking about a 75 cent can of coke here that is flat. This is a 38,000 dollar car, with Billions of dollars of tax payers money. Who is going to stand for Justice. Everyone should have the same fair offer.

Back