Capacity Loss on 2011-2012 LEAFs

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You guys really make me afraid to go get my 1 year battery check. Especially since a lot of problems seems to spring up around taking the car to the dealer for the battery check up. I really don't even see the point in taking it in for the battery check at this point. They said if you don't it voids the battery "warranty." However there really is no battery warranty. So I am really beginning to consider not taking my car in.

I would expect Nissan to sign people they settle with to a NDA. It is a ton cheaper to settle with owners on an individual basis without publicly admitting anything, and hoping that the vast majority do nothing about it. Than to admit publicly that they will replace your battery, give you a 2013 Leaf cheap, etc cause everyone will want in. Unfortunately it would seem to me that is the road they are taking anyway. Interestingly enough I got my survey yesterday about my Leaf asking about quality, the battery, and so on. Made sure to put in there about the liquid cooling system, and that I don't believe the way they are handling the Phoenix situation is very proper. Doubt it will do anything, but hopefully they realize we are taking notice. Even checked the box that I will not buy another Nissan based on my current experience and their actions so far.

I will be making a probably gratuitous trip to the dealer tomorrow. After reporting my capacity bar loss at 6,771 miles the Leaf hotline folks told me to take it in to the dealer. When scheduling with the dealer I asked what will they do. (I recently had my one year service with all 5 stars on the battery check.) He said 'we will check the car out'. Now that sounds like a definitive plan...

another member just stated he lost a bar as well, went in for his battery check. info here http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=10078&p=230314#p230314" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
member Mathewbeall hopefull he will call and get a case number if someone will list this in the Wiki

mathewbeall said:
What info do you need? I did get a case number - 9511355. I can let you know whatever else you need.

Matt

This info
You can add me to the one bar loss list, as of today.

Date: first noticed bar missing
Miles:
Purchased
Nissan Case number:
Manuf. date: on driver door. month/year

thanks.

You can add me to the one bar loss list, as of 9/17

Date: 9/17/2012
VIN: 04199
Miles: 17,500
Purchased: 6/2/2011
Nissan Case number: 9511355
Manuf. date: 5/2011

Let's see how long it takes you to spot the deceit in this Leaf ad... (SPOILER - Related to the amount of SOC remaining.)

Pretty sure they are not going to give anyone a free charger...what would a spare charger do for you anyway? Temp bars show its warm and must have gone down a pretty long hill to have a DTE of 130 something one 7 or so bars.

Roadburner440 said:
You guys really make me afraid to go get my 1 year battery check. Especially since a lot of problems seems to spring up around taking the car to the dealer for the battery check up. I really don't even see the point in taking it in for the battery check at this point. They said if you don't it voids the battery "warranty." However there really is no battery warranty. So I am really beginning to consider not taking my car in.

I would expect Nissan to sign people they settle with to a NDA. It is a ton cheaper to settle with owners on an individual basis without publicly admitting anything, and hoping that the vast majority do nothing about it. Than to admit publicly that they will replace your battery, give you a 2013 Leaf cheap, etc cause everyone will want in. Unfortunately it would seem to me that is the road they are taking anyway. Interestingly enough I got my survey yesterday about my Leaf asking about quality, the battery, and so on. Made sure to put in there about the liquid cooling system, and that I don't believe the way they are handling the Phoenix situation is very proper. Doubt it will do anything, but hopefully they realize we are taking notice. Even checked the box that I will not buy another Nissan based on my current experience and their actions so far.

Thanks for your support! Hope it will mean something to the fine people over at Nissan.

Please go get your battery check. You never know what will come up. I just got mine last week and got 4 and 5stars on everything (with 10 capacity bars left after 13.5k miles). Nothing seems to be different with the car since the test. After the test, I asked the dealer what losing 2 bars meant as a percentage. He referred me to EV support. I called them and asked. They said they couldn't help with that. I wasn't happy with the lack of info I received about my battery pack but I was really happy with the neat paper they gave me with all the stars on it. I haven't seen that many starts on a test I've taken part in since the 2nd grade, which is exactly how Nissan is treating Leaf owners right now... :roll:

Sorry for the late notice.

Randy from wiltingleaf.com is meeting with ABC 15's investigative reporter Joe Ducey tomorrow at 4pm about the concerns owners have in Phoenix with their LEAFs. I am planning on being there also. If you would like to speak with Joe yourself about your LEAF or just want to show up for support, please PM me so I know to look for you there. The interview will be at the ABC 15 studios.

http://maps.google.com/maps?oe=utf-...a=X&ei=s0hiUMyvG-vPigLmyYH4Cg&ved=0CCYQrwswAA

Based on member feedback from the site, we may have confirmation Nissan is assiting the select "7", or may I say "Lucky '7'", to see if they are about to announce an annual battery replacement program or if they can keep LEAF owners fully satisfied or "happy" by maintaining their agreement that the vehicles can attain atleast 65 miles on a charge, via a battery or vehicle replacement. Per Mark Perry, Nissan North America’s product planning and advanced technology director. "The company's goal, he said, is to discuss how to satisfy those owners. "We want to make sure they're satisfied with their vehicles," Perry stressed. See: http://www.greencarreports.com/news...ery-capacity-loss-due-to-high-miles-exclusive

More to be come in the coming days.

dsh said:
TickTock,

It was good meeting you on Sunday on Plug in Day...Do you have any information on the Meeting you had with Nissan Today...can you update us on how they were able to 'Fully Satisfy you'? New 2013 Battery, New 2013 LEAF?

Thanks

dsh said:
TickTock,

After your appointment with Nissan to go over the results from Casa Grande, will you please let us know how Nissan attempted to "satisfy" you? I would like to know will they offer you a 2013 battery pack, buy back the car...offer a new LEAF, etc. as Mark Perry did stress that Nissan wanted to satisfy each owner individually..."The company's goal, is to discuss how to satisfy those owners. We want to make sure they're satisfied with their vehicles."

TickTock said:
I was called yesterday to set up an appointment to go over what they found during the investigation at Casa Grande. Said they would have some "technical people" there should I have any questions. I would be very surprised if I get to talk to actual engineers (in fact, the probability of that is vanishingly small), but any information is welcome at this point.

spooka said:
Let's see how long it takes you to spot the deceit in this Leaf ad...
th_614243180_134miles_122_209lo.jpg
And here I thought it was the spelling. I don't know what "emmisions" are, but I'll bet they're trying to make you think that they are claiming this car doesn't cause any emissions, when we all know that it's really powered by filthy coal. :lol:

Ray

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the 65 mile number you stated is based on my PM. I believe you are taking it out of context. *I* was the one who told Nissan that I needed the car to go 65 miles well past 5 years for *me* to be happy. Nissan has not tipped their hands on any wide-spread policy nor have they indicated yet what they will do for me as a lucky member of the Malcontent 7.

Sorry to have not followed up with the group yet, but life happened (work deadlines, cam gear grenaded in my garden tractor, visiting in-laws, etc). I have to say I was pleasantly surprised that they actually flew in a knowledgable engineer fron Smyrna and spent a good long time with me answering some very detailed techical questions. They were careful not ro reveal some secrets like cost of battery replacement, actual capacity and I was not permitted to keep any copies of the graphs and data they showed me but I did get a lot of good information that I hope will end at least some of the speculation about the battery capabilities. I need to compile the datapoints I was able to jot down and will post a much more detailed summary of what I was able to learn later but for now I will offer my primary take-away (again, no such message has been given to me by Nissan). If you drive more then 50 miles/day in Phoenix, you are looking at a new car or battery within 5 years. Everyone who is considering a Leaf purchase in the valley needs to take this into account and Nissan needs to ensure dealer communicate it to prospective buyers.

dsh said:
Based on member feedback from the site, we may have confirmation Nissan is assiting the select "7", or may I say "Lucky '7'", to see if they are about to announce an annual battery replacement program or if they can keep LEAF owners fully satisfied or "happy" by maintaining their agreement that the vehicles can attain atleast 65 miles on a charge, via a battery or vehicle replacement. Per Mark Perry, Nissan North America’s product planning and advanced technology director. "The company's goal, he said, is to discuss how to satisfy those owners. "We want to make sure they're satisfied with their vehicles," Perry stressed. See: http://www.greencarreports.com/news...ery-capacity-loss-due-to-high-miles-exclusive

That's a significant change, from "80% in 5 years" to "you will need a new battery in 5 years". But, for the first time, it sounds like an honest reply. That's a major step in the right direction.

Unfortunately, this little detail was never disclosed until now, almost two years into LEAF sales.

Oops, still hasn't been officially disclosed. Thanks for the quick summary, TickTock!

TickTock said:
I need to compile the datapoints I was able to jot down and will post a much more detailed summary of what I was able to learn later but for now I will offer my primary take-away (again, no such message has been given to me by Nissan). If you drive more then 50 miles/day in Phoenix, you are looking at a new car or battery within 5 years. Everyone who is considering a Leaf purchase in the valley needs to take this into account and Nissan needs to ensure dealer communicate it to prospective buyers.

It was to meet you last sunday at the Phx Plug In event. I am looking forward to your summary. I bought my leaf, drive about 10K/year, and have lost two bars. I am very interested in what to expect in 5 years.

TickTock's meeting with Nissan certaintly sounds interesting. Will be curious to hear your indepth analysis of it when life slows down for you a bit. I find it interesting that you would say if you drive 50+ miles a day in Phoenix that you would need a new battery in 5 years.. So those guys that drive less, or leave their cars parked are far better off? Only reason I ask is cause I drive my car predominantly 20 miles a day, but in the summer it has gotten up to 105F here in Norfolk, and ever since this problem started creeping up I have been watching like a hawk. While I hope they step up to the plate and replace the Phoenix batteries it would be great to know if mine is better off. Replacing the battery every 5 years would be insane though. If most only have 76% left now what would be left at the 5 year mark? If ScottY's car was any indication once it starts degrading it keeps going.

TickTock said:
If you drive more then 50 miles/day in Phoenix, you are looking at a new car or battery within 5 years. Everyone who is considering a Leaf purchase in the valley needs to take this into account and Nissan needs to ensure dealer communicate it to prospective buyers.

Ouch. We are just below that threshold, but I had already figured a new battery was in our immediate future. The Leaf should be lease-only here, or else people need to sign a 50 lb stack of waivers. I think it's simply unethical that they are still being sold here.

This is pure speculation, of course, but if a new battery costs $10K with installation, and we divide that by 60 months, that comes out to an extra $167/mo. That's not acceptable, and even if the battery were a couple thousand less, it's still not acceptable. That's like the cost of replacing the engine and transmission on my Fit after 75K miles. Honda's reputation would sink like a rock if that were the case.

considering that the curve seems to steepen, it's hard for me to believe that anyone with a 4 bar loss in just 2 years, the last of which went up in smoke in what was it, the last 1,000 miles?, would conceivably make it to 5 years with any functional range left. it really feels like this is all being made up to buy time.

jspearman said:
TickTock said:
If you drive more then 50 miles/day in Phoenix, you are looking at a new car or battery within 5 years. Everyone who is considering a Leaf purchase in the valley needs to take this into account and Nissan needs to ensure dealer communicate it to prospective buyers.

Ouch. We are just below that threshold, but I had already figured a new battery was in our immediate future. The Leaf should be lease-only here, or else people need to sign a 50 lb stack of waivers. I think it's simply unethical that they are still being sold here.

This is pure speculation, of course, but if a new battery costs $10K with installation, and we divide that by 60 months, that comes out to an extra $167/mo. That's not acceptable, and even if the battery were a couple thousand less, it's still not acceptable. That's like the cost of replacing the engine and transmission on my Fit after 75K miles. Honda's reputation would sink like a rock if that were the case.

Back