Frivolous but fun idea

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikedemana

Hi,

So, since this is the digital 21st century and computer memory is inexpensive, what about this?

We all know there is the low tone noise built into the Leaf to alert visually impaired people (or those who can't walk without having their eyes glued to their cell phone). Why not let us choose what tone we'd like?

Nissan could include a number of choices, and people could create and upload their own (like ringtones). We could have Leafs whispering down the street to the sound of:

The Jetsons airship noise
Horse clip-clopping down a cobblestone street
Train going chugga-chugga-chugga
Rowers stroking in time to the beat ("Ramming speed" anyone...?)
The "Jaws" theme
Flamenco guitar

I'm sure others could come up with even better suggestions...! I know, I know, this thread doesn't hold a candle to the arguments about locking EVSE cables and better navigation systems, but hey! Have fun with the car!

Mikedemana said:
The Jetsons airship noise
Horse clip-clopping down a cobblestone street
Train going chugga-chugga-chugga
Rowers stroking in time to the beat ("Ramming speed" anyone...?)
The "Jaws" theme
Flamenco guitar

Have fun with the car!

Coconuts from Monty Python's Holy Grail
Jaws theme +1
Mighty Mouse theme...."Here I come to save the daaaaaay"

The jetsons' sound would be pretty cool.

Keep in mind that the system in the leaf is not just playing a pre-recorded sound. It actually changes the sound based upon the speed of the vehicle.

Actually, I always liked "The Jetsons" theme song. Big band jazz at its best.
(Though they should leave out the part where George yells "Help, Jane! Stop this crazy thing!")

You think a throaty V8 sound signifies power?

Bah!

When you hear THIS sound, then you're talking power!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXiOQCRiSp0[/youtube]

I like that idea! Is it a speaker that emits the noise? If so I'm sure there will be a future hack to install sounds.

+1. You could even monitor the rpm to give the chug-chug-chug-miss-chug patented idle sound when cruising up to a light. Would need a significant power upgrade, though, if you really want that Vance and Hines sound when you launch!

I suggested this to the dealer when I picked mine up and he said Nissan was exploring it already (not the Harley specifically, but customize-able VSP sounds). I doubt their lawyers let it get much further than that, though.
Fredr500 said:
Nothing beats revving up a Harley.

I have a device that plugs in to the lighter, monitors the alternator noise for engine rpm input, and then broadcasts to the fm radio to do this for an ICE. It makes it sound like a Viper or Ferrari!

TickTock said:
+1. You could even monitor the rpm to give the chug-chug-chug-miss-chug patented idle sound when cruising up to a light.

TomT said:
I have a device that plugs in to the lighter, monitors the alternator noise for engine rpm input, and then broadcasts to the fm radio to do this for an ICE. It makes it sound like a Viper or Ferrari!

These have been tried on EVs, but due to the lack of a noisy (electrical noise, taht is) alternator they don't work. Might be possible to hack them somehow, and perhaps connect them via the port used for diagnostics equipment? Do I smell an Arduino-project? :)

Back