Leaf Price / Discount discussion thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mossyleaf said:
Nissan LEAF ordered through the Nissan LEAF Customer Journey between
August 27–September 30, 2010:"

The Lease numbers released apply to order placed between Aug 27 and Sept 30.

What about the tier though? Is the dealer going to check our fico score before we receive our RAQ for a lease? I've never leased before, so I have no idea how to use the MF numbers. I just know that I will qualify for the 4.9% (tier o).

I've been quoting everyone at the tier 0 rate. I have a feeling that most of my orders will make that cut. If for some reason on the day they come in to pick up thier car their score doesn't substantiate the rate I will try to get Nissan's bank to make an exception for me. If they wouldn't do that the rate would have to change which would have a subtle impact on the payment perhaps $10 (tier1).

mossyleaf said:
I've been quoting everyone at the tier 0 rate. I have a feeling that most of my orders will make that cut. If for some reason on the day they come in to pick up thier car their score doesn't substantiate the rate I will try to get Nissan's bank to make an exception for me. If they wouldn't do that the rate would have to change which would have a subtle impact on the payment perhaps $10 (tier1).

What was the MF for tier 0 again? Thanks!

Indy Ready2plugin posted this back in August. I had to dig to find it, but I remener it having been done so here:

"Okay, this is what I get for a 48M Lease on an SL. I know the 3 year is more popular, but I personally would be doing a 48M to maximize the carpool benefit in CA.

MSRP: $34,420
Drive-Off: $2,469 (assuming acquisition fee & 1st month pmt is included)
Lease Pmts: $395.10 ($360+9.75% tax)
Total # pmts: 47 (assuming first pmt is included in drive off)
Total $ pmts: $18,569.70
Total Cost for Leasing: $18,569.70+$2,469= $21,038.70

Lease Purchase option:
Residual: 39% of $34,420 = $13,423.80 with 9.75% tax = $14,732.62
Total Cost w/purchase: $21,038.70+$14,732.62 = $35,771.32

No Lease, but purchase car and finance for 48m at 3.50% (current CU rate)
$34,420 + 9.75% tax = $37,775.95
48M pmt = $844.52 (with no money down)
Total Cost = $40,536.96
Less $7,500 tax break (yes I do pay Uncle Sam more than that unfortunately)
Net Cost = $33,036.96

I know there are a few things missing, such as destination charge and acquisition fee vs. disposition fee, but this is for discussion purposes only. I see that buying would be approximately $2,735 cheaper than leasing. I have also left out the CA rebate since it would be the same for each if you qualify. My conclusion is if you can’t qualify for the Federal $7,500 tax credit, or you want to protect yourself from the resale value of the Leaf being less than $13,423.80 in 4 years, you should probably lease. If not, buying would be the best alternative and would save you over $2,700. Enough for your charger and few months of “Juice”, plus you would not have to worry about driving over 60k miles (15k/yr)."

mossyleaf said:
Indy Ready2plugin posted this back in August. I had to dig to find it, but I remener it having been done so here:
Thanks, that's what I was looking for.

indyflick said:
Has anyone done a "back of the napkin" buy versus lease analysis they could share?

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=897

I should revisit it ...

I plan to "revisit" the whole buy/lease decision sometime mid-November when things become clearer about delivery/tax credits etc.

Had to share.. I heard this at a conference.

Q. How many Car Salesmen does it take to put in a light bulb?

A: Hang on a minute, I need to confirm the number with the Sales Manager but I'm sure you'll like it.

SeattleBlueLeaf said:
Had to share.. I heard this at a conference.

Q. How many Car Salesmen does it take to put in a light bulb?

A: Hang on a minute, I need to confirm with the number with the Sales Manager but I'm sure you'll like it.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Q: How does a car salesman have foreplay?

A: He sits on the edge of the bed and tells you how good it's going to be.

Santa Monica Nissan has just received an additional 10 units to allocate.

If you are ready to order but your preferred dealer lacks an open allocation, call me directly.
The CA rebate of $5000 is too important to let slip away!

At SANTA MONICA NISSAN, our LEAF clients all receive a $500 Gift Card to use in our Parts & Service Boutique, Complimentary Charging Time, Guaranteed Loaner Cars.

Toni Martin
Internet Director
Santa Monica Nissan
310-752-1510
949-350-8038

BTW, Nissan was not willing to discuss the finance charge on purchases this week, on account of it "changing every week". In fact, Mark Perry seemed a bit bemused that anyone was even considering purchase over lease, if I had to be completely honest. :?

mwalsh said:
BTW, Nissan was not willing to discuss the finance charge on purchases this week, on account of it "changing every week". In fact, Mark Perry seemed a bit bemused that anyone was even considering purchase over lease, if I had to be completely honest. :?
Why do you think that is? That is, why do you think Mark Perry was "a bit bemused" by people choosing to purchase vs. lease? Was there more context to the discussion? I'm curious since I have been planning to purchase due to my initial bias against leasing.

JPVLeaf said:
Why do you think that is? That is, why do you think Mark Perry was "a bit bemused" by people choosing to purchase vs. lease? Was there more context to the discussion? I'm curious since I have been planning to purchase due to my initial bias against leasing.

The context is that someone was asking about the least money factor. After which I asked about finance rates. He said "For the lease?" and "I said, no the purchase finance rate". He said something like, "Most will be leasing", and I replied "I'm not", and he got this sort of quizzical bemused look about him. After which someone from Nissan, who was standing behind me, so I couldn't see who it was, said "We can't say because the rate changes weekly". I dunno, maybe he just didn't know there was a reservation holder in the crowd and it took him by surprise. This was, after all, the first time he and I had met.

mwalsh said:
The context is that someone was asking about the least money factor. After which I asked about finance rates. He said "For the lease?" and "I said, no the purchase finance rate". He said something like, "Most will be leasing", and I replied "I'm not", and he got this sort of quizzical bemused look about him. After which someone from Nissan, who was standing behind me, so I couldn't see who it was, said "We can't say because the rate changes weekly". I dunno, maybe he just didn't know there was a reservation holder in the crowd and it took him by surprise.
Okay, thanks. I was wondering if there might be some reason(s) that Mark P. had in mind that make leasing a LEAF a 'no brainer' ... such as seems to be the case for the Volt (i.e., crazy-high $41k MSRP/purchase price vs. ~$350/mo +$2.5k down lease).

JPVLeaf said:
Why do you think that is? That is, why do you think Mark Perry was "a bit bemused" by people choosing to purchase vs. lease?

See my new thread. I'm fairly amused that some want to buy.

Got a price for my LEAF today from the dealer. This is a purchase, Kern County California. SL without L3 port, with floormats and protection package.

MSRP 33720

discount (1000)

protection package 225

floormats 170

freight charge 820

Total 33935

document prep fee 55

sales tax 2804.18 (that's about 8.25%)

DMV electronic filing fee 29

license plate fee 390

registration/titling 86

California tire fee 8.75

Out the door total 37307.93

So mixed news; they charged MSRP on the two accessories I ordered, but there is no dealer prep shown.

And the dealer has not heard a word about Nissan refunding the $99 reservation fee. He promised I'd get it back one way or another....

Oh, and there are two extended warranty options, Security+Plus Silver and Gold. Apparently I didn't get the sheet that gave the costs. As I recall, the more expensive plan was $2500. It included prepaid maintenance, which is pretty limited; a new cabin air filter and a brake fluid change every year and changing the reduction gearbox oil once or twice in five years.

-Karl

kolmstead said:
And the dealer has not heard a word about Nissan refunding the $99 reservation fee. He promised I'd get it back one way or another....-Karl

The $99 reservation deposit will be refunded back to the owner's credit/debit card after their purchase. That's straight from Nissan execs.

Back