EVSE Installation, Info and Cost Comparison Thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So you are saying AV's licensed electricians or general contractors are price gouging? I think both (AV especially) are charging hundreds of dollars over what the job actually costs- the majority of the time. Think about it- how come all the different AV contracted electrician companies are all coming up with over priced quotes? AV has to know what is going on- they just don't care... They are making millions on the fighter drones...

JPC2822 said:
So you are saying AV's licensed electricians or general contractors are price gouging? I think both (AV especially) are charging hundreds of dollars over what the job actually costs- the majority of the time. Think about it- how come all the different AV contracted electrician companies are all coming up with over priced quotes? AV has to know what is going on- they just don't care... They are making millions on the fighter drones...

AV is making the money, in many cases they are seriously overcharging. For those that are FULLY wired for an EVSE I was told the lowest price possible would be $700 to screw the unit on the wall , make three wire connections, teat the unit. Less than an hour. It seems very few people here will use AV. If they offered free labor to me at this point I would pass, I don't support companies like this as they tarnish the entire EV experience and growth. We shall see how this approach works for them.

EVDRIVER said:
... For those that are FULLY wired for an EVSE I was told the lowest price possible would be $700 to screw the unit on the wall , make three wire connections, teat the unit. Less than an hour....
That sounds about right. My quote (labor) was about $660, which I think is the lowest I've seen posted. I think AVs dishonesty is in the cost breakdown. I think they are rolling their fee for the 3 year in-home service into the installation price but not providing this as a line-item. On top of this is probably the usual Govt. contractor to sub-contractor (electrician) markup which is also not itemized. I guess they figure this is clever.

EVDRIVER- I agree with you 100%!
I read what you wrote and it reminds me (i forget easily) of what AV is dong to us! Glad to see you got to order today! :D

A three year service contract for a $700 retail item retails for under $100 and since they self fund it costs very little. That is a sales pitch to think you get something better, the "labor" is just how they hide the margin. Call it whatever you like it's profit margin not actual labor cost.

Considering we have about 5 to 10% of the Leaf buyers registering in this forum - my guess is AV is making a lot of money on these.

evnow said:
Considering we have about 5 to 10% of the Leaf buyers registering in this forum - my guess is AV is making a lot of money on these.

It will be interesting to see how many people go with them that read the posts here. Frankly I think some people would go elsewhere but may feel intimidated, unsure or just comfortable with the "endorsed" option. You get much more value on your own as you can deduct many panel upgrades and the unit and get more for your dollar privately. I'll leave it at that.

jason98 said:
Then I went to the dashboard and found that the quote is still missing the dock unit! Although the header specifically states that this is for both dock and installation:

Now I wonder if they are legally bound to it and should I be able to defend my "consumer rights" when I go ahead with the order for the advertised price.
What pops up when you click on "what's included in my quote?"

I know one LEAF customer who is not part of this forum who will not be buying the AV Home Charger. It would be a great questionnaire for this forum- who knows of other LEAF people not using this forum who are OR are not buying or just buying the AV Home Charger?

LEAFer said:
jason98 said:
Then I went to the dashboard and found that the quote is still missing the dock unit! Although the header specifically states that this is for both dock and installation:

Now I wonder if they are legally bound to it and should I be able to defend my "consumer rights" when I go ahead with the order for the advertised price.

Same item list as in my snapshot I posted earlier plus:
your quote details
Pull permit. Install (1) 40 Ampere 240 Volt circuit breaker in existing utility panel. Install feeder from utility panel to wall mounted Charging Dock. Feeder will be mounted to existing surfaces. Charging Dock will be installed on customer preferred location and will be fully tested and certified with proprietary service tool. Customer will be trained on operation and troubleshooting and inspector will be called for verification.

A "birdie" told me that the contracted electrician (company) gets $500 flat fee
for a "standard" install, meant to average out (for the contracted electrician
company) over the more expensive and the less expensive "standard" installs.

Apparently AV takes the rest.
Still, not quite fair for the customer, but simple and easy for many.

If you have an "easy" job, be sure and request a "custom" job and bid,
where the bid can be LOWER than the "standard" bid.

jason98 said:
LEAFer said:
jason98 said:

Same item list as in my snapshot I posted earlier plus:
your quote details
Pull permit. Install (1) 40 Ampere 240 Volt circuit breaker in existing utility panel. Install feeder from utility panel to wall mounted Charging Dock. Feeder will be mounted to existing surfaces. Charging Dock will be installed on customer preferred location and will be fully tested and certified with proprietary service tool. Customer will be trained on operation and troubleshooting and inspector will be called for verification.
Obviously it's risky, and you must make your own decision, not rely on what I would do ... having said that I'm sure you can guess what I would do ;) **IFF** I were in your situation. But to make it a little safer, if you like the price, email them direct and state that in accepting the quote at $x for BOTH installation and the charging dock, plus training on its use, that you expect <insert something obvious here, like the AV charging dock's 3 year warranty to be on-site with a 24-hour response> :)

So in the US you guys will have a specific cable, supplied with the car, allowing a level I charge on 110V and if you want an 240V level II charge, you have to pay for an extra EVSE.

Now : what is going to happen in Europe, where most of the countries are equipped with 240V only ?

I can hardly imagine Nissan will make an EVSE mandatory to make the car work, or, it will be supplied at no extra cost with the car ?

What are the chances that Nissan supplies in Europe a 240V cable with the car akin to the 110V cable you are going to get. This would be a 180° turn from the justification of not offering a 240V simple cable in your regions but a permanent EVSE.

Europe probably does not have any of the nonsense we have in the US.
I imagine Europe will just plug into a normal 230v connector using a cord from the vehicle.

Somehow in the US the powers that be want to mimick the gasoline fill procedure and have the cord on the "pump" :roll:
Apparently the general public in the US would otherwise be confused.

Like others, I just got a note that they reassessed. In my case, I have a Mini-E charger so am all wired right to the spot so just need the box and swap the junction wire. As easy as it gets. My reassess took off ~$300 down to $1040 labor. That seems in line with what others saw on the reassess.

So I assume they are across the board dropping some of the labor charge. Not really a response to my particular setup. I am still passing and going with another provider and let them know that.

Like the 120v L1 EVSE included with the LEAF in the USA to work (very slowly) on the "typical" household wall socket (120v 15A), ...

It is expected that a similar EVSE will be included in UK and Europe, but a 220/240 volt (L2) 13 to 15 amp version, again configured to match the country's "common" household power sockets.

And, YES, we DO want those compact, portable, plug-in L2 (faster-charging) EVSEs here also, but we have much more limited places to plug them in, (almost) all of which are, by their (stupid) design, much less safe to be "plugging into".

Basically, our (very) few household 240v sockets/plugs are designed for in/out use only infrequently, and for "safe" use ... never. :(

Needless to say - may have to wait for a lower cost option:

product/service description quantity unit price line total

standard installation 1 1,296.68 1,296.68

charging dock, wall mount 25' cable * 1 721.12 721.12

installation permit and processing 1 290.00 290.00

shipping and delivery 1 49.95 49.95

sales tax * US $66.70

total US $2,424.45

your quote details
Pull permit. Install (1) 40 Ampere 240 Volt circuit breaker in existing utility panel. Install 30 feet or less of feeder from utility panel to wall mounted Charging Dock. Feeder (Conduit or Romex wire) will be mounted to existing surfaces or run through crawl space or attic. Charging Dock will be installed on customer preferred location and will be fully tested and certified with proprietary service tool. Customer will be trained on operation and troubleshooting and inspector will be called for verification.

expires on 12/31/2010

questions about your quote? call us at 877 NO GAS EV(664-2738)

EVNation said:
Like others, I just got a note that they reassessed. In my case, I have a Mini-E charger so am all wired right to the spot so just need the box and swap the junction wire. As easy as it gets. My reassess took off ~$300 down to $1040 labor. That seems in line with what others saw on the reassess.

So I assume they are across the board dropping some of the labor charge. Not really a response to my particular setup. I am still passing and going with another provider and let them know that.

If you have a MINIe charger you can buy a J cord and use what is on your wall. Even if you decide to not use the one you have (not sure why as it's better) you can buy one and screw it on for free.

EVDRIVER said:
EVNation said:

If you have a MINIe charger you can buy a J cord and use what is on your wall. Even if you decide to not use the one you have (not sure why as it's better) you can buy one and screw it on for free.

Not clear we will be able to buy the J cord directly. I would think that should be possible but often the make stuff like that not available. You have any sources? Many people tried to get the raw cables for the Mini-E and Tesla and failed (though those were not standards). It sounds like Clipper Creek will be rolling out an upgrade plan so I am waiting for that. But as you say will possibly just buy a new box and do it myself.

Back