Anyone into electric cycling? Electric Bicycles

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nubo said:
I've cycled most of my life. I fear that an electric bike would be the beginning of the end. Personally I need the bike as a means to measure myself against the world. That is the best thing about riding and I don't want to give that up, ever. If I begin dottering, sit me on a trike or quadricycle with super-low gears and let me grind away at a snail's pace if that's what it takes to get me outside moving under my own, and only my own, power.
Same here, and I feel the same way about hiking/mountaineering/X-C skiing. Personally, I hope someday to be able to emulate these guys:

http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/hundred-year-cyclist-rides-100-km-17348952#.UHCbhFI8qcw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/world-records/1/oldest-person-to-climb-mt-everest-%28male%29" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That being said, if I had killer hills to ride every day on my commute, and it was a choice of giving up a bike and switching to a car or going with an e-bike, I'd opt for the bike. I'm still outside and doing at least some of the work.

I received a response from the Picycle people. Below is their response:

"Hello

We no longer offer anything under $5,995. The battery technology and other components have been significantly upgraded since that YouTube video was produced.

Thank you
Marcus"

So apparently it's not $2500 anymore. It's $5,995 according to their website.

Or you could look at this one:
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/11/technology/start-ups/for-some-drivers-electric-motorcycle-could-be-the-best-of-both-worlds.html?partner=rss&emc=rss" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

which seems to be half car and half bike. Though for that amount of money, you'd be better to get a Leaf!

Yeah, I have a deposit on one of these.
Kind of my emotional response to the Aptera debacle.
May never happen but it's the pinnacle of nerd-cycling, way beyond a Segway.

I've had a Hill Topper kit in the back of my mind for a few years now. I live up a 1.5 mile 400' hill that makes it kind of a pain to ride back up after a 20 mile (road) ride. Because I needed the exercise, my first solution was to get a lower-geared road bike, so I picked up on with a SRAM Apex setup. It got me the lighter weight and gearing that I need to make it back up, at least for now.

But I'm still thinking about mounting the Hill Topper on my '80s-vintage 10-speed just so I can breeze back up the hill even on an older, heavier bike.

GRA said:
Nubo said:
I've cycled most of my life. I fear that an electric bike would be the beginning of the end. Personally I need the bike as a means to measure myself against the world. That is the best thing about riding and I don't want to give that up, ever. If I begin dottering, sit me on a trike or quadricycle with super-low gears and let me grind away at a snail's pace if that's what it takes to get me outside moving under my own, and only my own, power.
Same here, and I feel the same way about hiking/mountaineering/X-C skiing. Personally, I hope someday to be able to emulate these guys:...
I definitely hear what both of you are saying. This 49 year old will trade you my damaged feet and knees for a time - I think you'll learn to appreciate the new-found freedom provided by the electric assist fairly quickly. ;)

I hope you both are able to continue to ride until you decide to leave the planet. ;)

I just wanted to report on how much fun, and yes, exercise, I've had in the last week on my new electric bike.

I rode the new bike four times in the first four days. On two consecutive mornings, I completed a local 10 mile loop trail that involves a 250 foot elevation gain, a really enjoyable and scenic trail that I'd only done once before and in my current state of fitness, wouldn't have considered even trying. On these two mornings this week, I did the loop in 42 minutes each time and really enjoyed myself. I pedaled the whole way each trip, I got the full benefit of the fresh air and scenery, but instead of being exhausted and needing to re-hydrate and take a nap, riding the electric bike, I was able to take a quick shower and get on with a full day of other activities.

After riding rarely in the last few years, I am now excited about getting out on the bike. I expect to ride at least three times a week when weather permits and I expect to be able to re-connect with cycling friends with whom I've lately had trouble keeping up. I'll let you know if I get any blowback from folks who think that I'm cheating by using electric assist. ;) At this point, obviously, I'm having a blast.

Boomer23 said:
I just wanted to report on how much fun, and yes, exercise, I've had in the last week on my new electric bike.

I rode the new bike four times in the first four days. On two consecutive mornings, I completed a local 10 mile loop trail that involves a 250 foot elevation gain, a really enjoyable and scenic trail that I'd only done once before and in my current state of fitness, wouldn't have considered even trying. On these two mornings this week, I did the loop in 42 minutes each time and really enjoyed myself. I pedaled the whole way each trip, I got the full benefit of the fresh air and scenery, but instead of being exhausted and needing to re-hydrate and take a nap, riding the electric bike, I was able to take a quick shower and get on with a full day of other activities.

After riding rarely in the last few years, I am now excited about getting out on the bike. I expect to ride at least three times a week when weather permits and I expect to be able to re-connect with cycling friends with whom I've lately had trouble keeping up. I'll let you know if I get any blowback from folks who think that I'm cheating by using electric assist. ;) At this point, obviously, I'm having a blast.
Good for you!

AndyH said:
GRA said:
Nubo said:
Same here, and I feel the same way about hiking/mountaineering/X-C skiing. Personally, I hope someday to be able to emulate these guys:...
I definitely hear what both of you are saying. This 49 year old will trade you my damaged feet and knees for a time - I think you'll learn to appreciate the new-found freedom provided by the electric assist fairly quickly. ;)

I hope you both are able to continue to ride until you decide to leave the planet. ;)
I've got a few years on you, and will swap you my bad hip, back, and shoulder for your feet and knees :lol: Oh, and my hearing, although that doesn't restrict my exercise. I intend to age as gracefully as possible and stay as physically active as I can, only giving up sports as I become unable to do them anymore. Contact sports went first 20+ years ago, then tennis and :cry: volleyball (see shoulder), running (back), rock climbing (back) and my hip is shortening my hiking/backpacking/skiing trips. But as long as I can get out of bed and don't run out of vitamin 'I'*, I'll be out there.

*Ibuprofen, aka 'climber's candy'.

GRA said:
... *Ibuprofen, aka 'climber's candy'.
Yeah, we call 600mg Ibuprofen "Air Force Candy" as well.

After 21 years of military abuse, riding without assist is no longer an option if I want to function for two days after. Just walking around a college campus last year required hitting the Motrin before leaving the house and limping around between classes. I do miss running and riding, but when it comes to my (non)desire to keep up with spandex-clad 20-somethings or running around with my 10 year old, quality time with my son wins every time.

Enjoy the ride - with our without a battery pack! :lol:

I did a 25 mile ride to the beach and back today. Mostly flat, with a few hills. Averaged 13.4 mph and used 60% of the battery, so an estimated 42 mile total range in pedal-assist mode.

Just for fun, while riding I did a couple of energy efficiency calculations. My ride today, using pedal assist yielded 106 miles/kWh. The bike is rated at a 20 mile range on throttle only (no pedaling), which would be 50.5 mi/kWh. That last figure is the one that compares most readily with an EV's efficiency. So my e-bike is more than ten times more efficient than my LEAF, even if I were not to pedal the bike.

Of course, a completely human-powered bike is infinitely more efficient than an EV (if you ignore food energy), so whatever. :lol:

Boomer23 said:
I did a 25 mile ride to the beach and back today. Mostly flat, with a few hills. Averaged 13.4 mph and used 60% of the battery, so an estimated 42 mile total range in pedal-assist mode.

Just for fun, while riding I did a couple of energy efficiency calculations. My ride today, using pedal assist yielded 106 miles/kWh. The bike is rated at a 20 mile range on throttle only (no pedaling), which would be 50.5 mi/kWh. That last figure is the one that compares most readily with an EV's efficiency. So my e-bike is more than ten times more efficient than my LEAF, even if I were not to pedal the bike.
Fantastic! Glad you're able to get out and about on a bike again, and are having a blast. Who knows, after riding it for a while you may decide you're willing/able to do it all yourself, at least when riding for exercise/recreation. There's an article in the October Bicycling about a guy who does both, and why. Can't find it right now, but will post the reference when I can.

Boomer23 said:
Of course, a completely human-powered bike is infinitely more efficient than an EV (if you ignore food energy), so whatever. :lol:
Not that much (compared to an e-bike):

http://www.inference.phy.cam.ac.uk/withouthotair/c20/page_128.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Look down near the bottom left of the chart. I have seen it claimed ("Electric Bicycles: A Guide to Design and Use"; by Manchin, William C.; 2006) that an e-bike is more efficient energy-wise than a human-powered one, but it really depends on how far your food is transported. Good thing I have a farmer's market 4 blocks from me on the weekend, and live within 50 miles of the Central and Salinas Valleys so most of my food doesn't come very far.

The ultimate for me would be a road bicycle that performs well without electric assist, allowing it to be ridden as a traditional bicycle for the majority of its miles, including on a 45 mph mountain descent. It would need to have a large enough battery pack to assist me in doing a 5000' mountain climb in much less time than the ~ 2 hours it currently takes me on my non-assisted bicycle. As that climb takes place over about 16 miles, an e-bike should legally (at least in theory) be able to do it in well under an hour. An electric motorcycle would not be an acceptable alternative, as I do want to get significant exercise.

I'm afraid, however, that the energy density of current lithium ion batteries is not great enough to support what I'm asking for, at least at a semi-affordable price point. So my solution on many days is to ride my bicycle partway up the mountain, and have my wife pick me up in the LEAF. That way I don't take forever to get home at the end of the workday, and my wife gets to use the LEAF during the day, in the cool mountain air. :)

abasile said:
The ultimate for me would be a road bicycle that performs well without electric assist, allowing it to be ridden as a traditional bicycle for the majority of its miles, including on a 45 mph mountain descent. It would need to have a large enough battery pack to assist me in doing a 5000' mountain climb in much less time than the ~ 2 hours it currently takes me on my non-assisted bicycle. As that climb takes place over about 16 miles, an e-bike should legally (at least in theory) be able to do it in well under an hour. An electric motorcycle would not be an acceptable alternative, as I do want to get significant exercise.

I'm afraid, however, that the energy density of current lithium ion batteries is not great enough to support what I'm asking for, at least at a semi-affordable price point. So my solution on many days is to ride my bicycle partway up the mountain, and have my wife pick me up in the LEAF. That way I don't take forever to get home at the end of the workday, and my wife gets to use the LEAF during the day, in the cool mountain air. :)

You have my unceasing admiration for being capable of such a climb, or for even considering it possible. :eek:

We've met and you don't resemble a Tour de France winner, but you obviously have some of that grit, determination and stamina. My helmet is off to you, abasile!

abasile said:

Some of the newer e-bikes might be close to your ideal. The more serious frames should be able to handle a downhill speed such as that, and many of them offer brake regen to keep your pack full for the return trip. For the uphill portion, mine is rated at up to 45 miles in pedal-assist on flat ground, with hill climbing performance depending on hill steepness, speed and rider weight. I think you might well be able to do such a 16 mile climb on a full charge. My bike (Stromer) was designed in Switzerland with that kind of climbing in mind.

Boomer23 said:
Some of the newer e-bikes might be close to your ideal. The more serious frames should be able to handle a downhill speed such as that, and many of them offer brake regen to keep your pack full for the return trip. For the uphill portion, mine is rated at up to 45 miles in pedal-assist on flat ground, with hill climbing performance depending on hill steepness, speed and rider weight. I think you might well be able to do such a 16 mile climb on a full charge. My bike (Stromer) was designed in Switzerland with that kind of climbing in mind.
That's very interesting, and thanks for the compliments! Switzerland has my kind of terrain... :) With the shorter days, I won't be able to ride up the mountain a whole lot, but I'll have to re-visit this option come Spring. And I should mention that part of my initial motivation to bike to my new job down the mountain, aside from the exercise which I enjoy, was to keep the LEAF out of the valley summer heat as much as possible.

abasile said:
…a large enough battery pack to assist me in doing a 5000' mountain climb in much less time than the ~ 2 hours it currently takes me on my non-assisted bicycle...
350Wh to lift 200# bike + rider 5,000 feet in addition to Wh for equivalent speed and distance on level ground.

KeiJidosha said:
350Wh to lift 200# bike + rider 5,000 feet in addition to Wh for equivalent speed and distance on level ground.
In my case the total weight would be significantly higher, but my body can supply the energy for 20 mph on level ground. Figure on 0.5 kWh of capacity needed, minimum. That could be 15 lbs. of batteries, plus other hardware. Keeping the total weight of the bicycle under about 50 lbs. might be acceptable. Compared to my Cannondale R-800 it would feel like a tank, but maybe not too bad overall.

Back