Nissan to MSRP at a little over $37,000 in IL? Why?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chijayhawker

I just had contact with a Nissan dealer near where I live. He started to claim that the Nissan Leaf is going to have an MSRP of over $37,000 becuase of IL emission control rules? Was he correct? I thought the MSRP was supposed to be around $32,000 AND THEN subtract the $7,500 federal rebate (and I believe there to be IL rebate as well, but I'm still checking into this). Can I get some clarification? I'm trying to find a Nissan dealer that will work honestly with me.

chijayhawker said:
I just had contact with a Nissan dealer near where I live. He started to claim that the Nissan Leaf is going to have an MSRP of over $37,000 becuase of IL emission control rules? Was he correct? I thought the MSRP was supposed to be around $32,000 AND THEN subtract the $7,500 federal rebate (and I believe there to be IL rebate as well, but I'm still checking into this). Can I get some clarification? I'm trying to find a Nissan dealer that will work honestly with me.

Don't ask a dealer any important questions, they are usually uninformed or making things up.

chijayhawker said:

It sounds like he/she is making that up...they're just trying to make extra money on it...if I were you, I would try to find a Nissan company dealer instead of an independent because the Nissan owned dealers aren't allowed to charge more than MSRP. Also, the $7500 is a federal tax CREDIT, not a rebate, so you may or may not get the whole credit plus you would have to use it once, since you can't carryover the unused the next year. Bottomline...you would have to finance $35-36K up front (this is including taxes, etc. plus upgrades) minus your downpayment. However, if you choose to lease, you get the whole $7500 off the MSRP. :)

I haven't lived in Illinois for many years, but I have never heard anything like that before in any location. It is not even a good fabrication.

So what's a Nissan-owned dealer? I thought it was against federal law for a car manufacturer to sell products directly to the public (Nissan actually told me that on their Leaf Chat Line)...

What Illinois emissions? This car has no emissions. I think this dealer is full of XXXX. Contact Nissan directly at 1-877-NOGASEV

chijayhawker said:

Hey, chijayhawker which Chicago Nissan dealer? I'm in the NW 'burbs and I see at least 20 in Chicago Metro and the comment on 'IL emission control rules' sounds quite bogus to me ... for instance, the IL EPA doesn't even test diesel-powered cars (I know, I owned a '98 VW TDI New Bettle it was exempt) and electric vehicles should also be exempt (no tailpipe and no reason for an ODB connector which they use for '96 and newer vehicles now) so what would they even test? As always, sounds like a 'market price adjustment' charge similar to when other new vehicles came out (still remember the $5K over list mark up when the Miata came out in '89/'90).

As always, Nissan can't dictate what a dealer will sell the car for but they can strongly suggest through customer satisfaction surveys, etc. as well as car allocations, etc. that the dealer treats the customer right -- Mercedes did this with the smart franchise and there was no gouging.

If anything, the IL legislature is moving more towards encouraging EV's with the recent bill passed on EV registration costs (only $38 for 2 years) so it furthers the fact that sheds some doubt on what this dealer is telling you ...

EDIT -- OK, I found the specifics on the IL EPA site ... it reads:

Q. What vehicles are subject to vehicle emissions inspection?
A. Generally, most 1996 and newer gasoline-powered passenger vehicles, light and heavy duty trucks and busses are subject to testing after they are four years old.
Diesel powered vehicles, vehicles powered exclusively by electricity, and certain other vehicles are not required to test. Check the Exempt Vehicles List for details.

more info at:

http://www.epa.state.il.us/air/vim/faq/testing.html#15

redLEAF said:
Hey, chijayhawker which Chicago Nissan dealer? If anything, the IL legislature is moving more towards encouraging EV's with the recent bill passed on EV registration costs (only $38 for 2 years) so it furthers the fact that sheds some doubt on what this dealer is telling you ...

EDIT -- OK, I found the specifics on the IL EPA site ... it reads:

Q. What vehicles are subject to vehicle emissions inspection?
A. Generally, most 1996 and newer gasoline-powered passenger vehicles, light and heavy duty trucks and busses are subject to testing after they are four years old.
Diesel powered vehicles, vehicles powered exclusively by electricity, and certain other vehicles are not required to test. Check the Exempt Vehicles List for details.

more info at:

http://www.epa.state.il.us/air/vim/faq/testing.html#15

It looks like it was Gerald Nissan in Naperville that called me with this "bogus" information. I said to the guy, "What emissions rules?! This car has no emissions." :x

Thanks for the other information. I will have to look into it. I also have to go back to the website I found that had the IL tax rebate for fuel efficient vehicles. If I could take advantage of both the Federal and State rebates, it makes this car even more enticing.

Back