TickTock
Delivery Date: 31 May 2011
Leaf Number: 3626

The Anatomy of a Gid

Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:20 pm

I recently plotted gids versus time along side of energy versus time:

Since the perturbations in the gid curve during a charge occur between 25 and 50 gids (which bounds the knee in the voltage vs charge curve), I am starting to believe that gids are nothing more than a linearized version of the voltage. I am guessing a polynomial is applied to the voltage, the coefficients of which are re-computed periodically to adjust for degradation. Makes sense, really, because with a lot of driving and regen cycles, integrating errors will start to accumulate. Voltage gives a more absolute measurement than trying to keep track of electrons as they move in and out of the battery. Not sure how useful this is - just, explains why is varies and may even explain why some people observe more energy per gid below 50 gids and others may not.

Herm
Delivery Date: 29 Aug 2012

Re: The Anatomy of a Gid

Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:12 pm

You probably are seeing the linearity of the voltage/charge curve of the battery pack, per Enginier he insists that each gid is 80Wh of energy or 22.5kWh usable for a new battery.. whether that makes it to the road depends on conditions and driving style. Its possible Nissan cheapened out and is just using a temperature/voltage table but supposedly a coulomb counter is involved. Have you tried adding a temperature correction as the pack heats up slowly during discharge?.. Voltage should be increasing (for a given SOC) as it heats up, minus the IR losses also.

Then again it could explain the overall goofyness.

richard
Delivery Date: 21 Apr 2011
Leaf Number: 1009

Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:02 pm

Next on NOVA.. The Secret Life of Gids ;-)
2011 Nissan LEAF, Glacier White, SL-QC, Reserved: 4/20/10, Ordered: 9/2/10, Delivered: 4/21/11, 33,000+ miles, 12 bars, EVSEUpgrade Rev1
1997 S10 Electric Truck (converted to NiMH by EV Bones)
1981 Jet Electrica (sold '06)
Plug In America

JimSouCal

Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:13 pm

I have been embarrassed to ask what is a "GID". My bet is it is buried in hundreds of legacy posts. So...

What is the definition and units, and relative formulas, that comprise a GID? I will go back ~30 years to elementary college physics from that and figure it out...

I do know that having 281 in your battery with a meter is a good sign...

Stoaty
Delivery Date: 12 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 3871

Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:30 pm

Remember folks, the Wiki is your friend:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/wiki/index. ... e=Glossary" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2011 Leaf with 62,000 miles given to Nephew
2013 Tesla Model S85 with 251 miles rated range at full charge
Leaf Spy Manual
Battery Aging Model Spreadsheet

FairwoodRed

Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:40 pm

JimSouCal wrote:I have been embarrassed to ask what is a "GID". My bet is it is buried in hundreds of legacy posts. So...

What is the definition and units, and relative formulas, that comprise a GID? I will go back ~30 years to elementary college physics from that and figure it out...

I do know that having 281 in your battery with a meter is a good sign...
A GID is an arbitrary unit of measure that the community believes corresponds to battery pack state of charge. This unit was found by Gary Giddings by sniffing the cars CAN bus and it was named GID in his honor. Originally, 1 GID was thought to represent 80 watt hours. Lately, there has been questions on how exact that is under varying conditions.

So don’t bother with your physics books… :)

GeekEV
Delivery Date: 15 Feb 2011
Leaf Number: 0308

Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:41 pm

Stoaty wrote:Remember folks, the Wiki is your friend:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/wiki/index. ... e=Glossary" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
We have a Wiki? :lol: :lol: :lol:

2014 Chevy Spark EV 2LT
2013 Tesla Model S 60kWh[/url]
AV L2 EVSE + kWh meter
9.4kW Solar Array + enphase energy

OrientExpress
Delivery Date: 10 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2331

Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:04 pm

So what is the description of the CAN Bus message that is used to derive the GID.

What device(s) in the LEAF generate the message, how do they generate the message, and what devices in the LEAF use the message and for what?
2018 LEAF SL
Gun Metalic
Delivery April 10 2018

Prior LEAF:
2014 LEAF SV
Ocean Blue
Delivery May 23 2014
50,000+ miles - all 12 bars - Same range as new - No warranty issues ever!

TickTock
Delivery Date: 31 May 2011
Leaf Number: 3626

Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:55 pm

No one has confirmed for sure what the message is since the only people with access to the canbus definition are constrained by NDA. However, we are reasonably certain this message (5bc) is the "Charge Status Signal" described in the service manual transmitted from the EV/HEV to the TCU. We know it's units to be energy with nominal value of 80 watt_hours. It does not seem to be super accurate, though, with at least +/-10% variation. Despite this variation, it remains the best indicator of the available energy in the battery. None-the-less 10% error is a bit annoying when trying to figure out how many miles you have remaining. This is why we are trying to understand it better. In my chart I show that, for the simple scenario of a charge, I am able to much better compute the charge in the battery by monitoring the current and voltage into the battery and integrating the power over time. The reason I think the Leaf doesn't just do the same is this is much harder to do accurately when driving where charge moves in and out of the battery quite frequently - each time adding a little more error to the computation.

I have compiled everything I am aware of that we have reverse-engineered about the evcan and carcan busses here (don't forget to look at the tabs at the bottom of the spreadsheet).

JimSouCal

Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:23 pm

Stoaty wrote:Remember folks, the Wiki is your friend:

I did google search LEAF GID and my ROT was not so robust in clearing up any of my confusion.

Thanks for the pointer... This thread is revealing too, BTW. Thanks for that as well!

Return to “LEAF CANBus”