NREL LEAF Teardown and Detailed Testing

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveEV

cwerdna found the NREL detailed testing and teardown data for the LEAF. The goods are buried in these 2 PDFs:

http://www1.eere.energy.gov/vehiclesandfuels/pdfs/merit_review_2012/adv_power_electronics/ape006_burress_2012_p.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www1.eere.energy.gov/vehiclesandfuels/pdfs/merit_review_2012/veh_sys_sim/vss030_lohsebusch_2012_o.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

From the 2nd one comes this great slide showing system efficiency:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Energy from the wall from dead to 100%: 25.414 kWh
Energy from the onboard charger to battery: 22.031 kWh
Energy from the battery during discharge: 21.381 kWh

Good stuff!

drees said:
Energy from the wall from dead to 100%: 25.414 kWh
Energy from the onboard charger to battery: 22.031 kWh
Energy from the battery during discharge: 21.381 kWh
I'm shocked! :eek: Are you suggesting that the range test in Arizona, which used the figure of 21 kwh available energy from the battery (leading to a range of 84 miles for a new Leaf) was CORRECT??? Absolutely shocked! Who could have guessed that the guys who obsessed and argued about, tested extensively, etc. would be more accurate than the armchair quarterbacks penning articles for the internet??? Looks like vindication to me.

PS This info is going into the Wiki ASAP.

Stoaty said:
Are you suggesting that the range test in Arizona, which used the figure of 21 kwh available energy from the battery (leading to a range of 84 miles for a new Leaf) was CORRECT???
No, they were NOT correct. They were actually conservative! In other words, the degradation from new was actually higher than what was published!

RegGuheert said:
Stoaty said:
Are you suggesting that the range test in Arizona, which used the figure of 21 kwh available energy from the battery (leading to a range of 84 miles for a new Leaf) was CORRECT???
No, they were NOT correct. They were actually conservative! In other words, the degradation from new was actually higher than what was published!
Thanks for the correction. ;) Yes, the range at 4 miles per kwh would be 85.5 miles. 84 miles is too conservative, but let's give them a pass since the difference is only 1.8%. :D

Added to Wiki as more definitive documentation of the range of a new Leaf:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/wiki/index.php?title=Battery_Capacity_Loss#Range_Test_on_Cars_with_Battery_Capacity_Loss" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PS On the previous page of that second PDF there is interesting information on the energy used for heating/cooling using standard test protocols:

Heater - 2.5-5.2 kw
A/C - 1-1.5 kw

There are also figures on energy consumption per mile, assuming a much slower speed for winter driving.

It's a nice document. But I don't think there's much in it that we hadn't already figured out for ourselves (or were pretty close in guessing). Still, nice to have the validation, I suppose.

That these figures needed to be confirmed by a third party and not by Nissan should probably the biggest take-away! :?

Stoaty said:
Yes, the range at 4 miles per kwh would be 85.5 miles.
That does assume that the mi/kWh gauge is accurate. And since the gauge only reads to the 0.1 mi/kWh, technically a reading of 4.0 mi/kWh and 21.381 kWh usable could mean anything from 3.95 mi/kWh / 84.5 mi to 4.04 mi/kWh / 86.4 mi a 2.2% difference in itself. So any test results relying on the dash reading to be accurate should not count anything less than 2.2% as being significant or noteworthy.

The NREL advanced vehicle testing typically gives a full report of motor/vehicle efficiency at some point in time (look at the Sonata hybrid data in the first PDF). I couldn't find any such report yet, so hopefully they publish additional information at some point in time.

Boomer23 said:
FWIW my range test when my LEAF was new yielded 85.6 miles at 4.0 mi/kwh indicated.

Great find with this test.

Guys, we expected the "new" cars to pass 84 miles in Phoenix. We used that number to align with Nissan's data, and our over one year old 21kWh baseline (and Nissan's, too, effective Dec 2011).

I fully expected any car with 2600 feet air density, and 80F batteries would be 86-89 miles, which I would just call 104% (for 87.5 miles). But, of course, the car that went 59 mile is only 67% of 87.5 miles, and with 8 of 12 capacity bar segments is 60-66%.

I think we did well.

garygid said:
Too bad the testers did not report GID readings.

22000 / 281 = 78.2

Or 22000 / 80 = 275
Good point! I wonder if a GID has a slightly lower value going into the battery than coming out to account for this difference.

either way this is still a confirmation which means we are on the right track.

curious now that in my own calculations i was getting nearly same efficiency on modded EVSE running at 12 amps (averaging 84-85%) now wondering if relying on dash miles/kw introduced error biased towards the car.

wondering now that i am probably only getting just over 80%?

TonyWilliams said:
Guys, we expected the "new" cars to pass 84 miles in Phoenix. We used that number to align with Nissan's data, and our over one year old 21kWh baseline
As I recall, even that reference figure attracted a good bit of controversy. I know you wanted to find a "100%" car (that could store 281 GID) and run the test outright. Were you ever able to do this?

gbarry42 said:
TonyWilliams said:
Guys, we expected the "new" cars to pass 84 miles in Phoenix. We used that number to align with Nissan's data, and our over one year old 21kWh baseline
As I recall, even that reference figure attracted a good bit of controversy. I know you wanted to find a "100%" car (that could store 281 GID) and run the test outright. Were you ever able to do this?

I looked, and may have one source. But, my enthusiasm level is quite low. The arm chair quarterback crew would just find some miraculous problem, so I sure wouldn't be doing that for anybody but me. The rest of us already know the car will go 4 * 21 = 84 miles.

drees said:
...The NREL advanced vehicle testing typically gives a full report of motor/vehicle efficiency at some point in time (look at the Sonata hybrid data in the first PDF). I couldn't find any such report yet, so hopefully they publish additional information at some point in time.

Of course the full report was presented the day after you wrote that drees, and is available here:

http://www.transportation.anl.gov/D3/data/2012_nissan_leaf/AVTALeaftestinganalysis_Major%20summary101212.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem many of those commenting on LEAF battery capacity and range, or maintaining the Wiki, have full comprehension of it.

And since widespread misconceptions RE the LEAFs battery capacity and range seem to have originated in this thread, maybe the actual report should be discussed here.

The wiki repeats the misnomer of this thread, that the "Benchmarking of Competitive Technologies" data is:

...Further confirmation of the range of a new Leaf comes from a teardown of a Leaf by the NREL which revealed usable energy of a new Leaf at 21.381 kWh...

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/wiki/index.php?title=Battery_Capacity_Loss" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Which also misstates that the two sources on the first page of this thread:

http://www1.eere.energy.gov/vehiclesandfuels/pdfs/merit_review_2012/adv_power_electronics/ape006_burress_2012_p.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www1.eere.energy.gov/vehiclesandfuels/pdfs/merit_review_2012/veh_sys_sim/vss030_lohsebusch_2012_o.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Were reports of "NREL LEAF Teardown and Detailed Testing".

Which they clearly are not.

The "Leaf Recharge System Efficiencies Defined" diagram on page nine of the link closest above does not identify the condition, temperature, or actual battery capacity at the time the available battery capacity 21.381 kWh was found.

In contrast, the actual report states available battery capacity on p. 21:

Advanced Powertrain Research Facility
AVTA Nissan Leaf testing and analysis

Measurement point Average value
A) Wall Plug energy 21.722 AC kWh
C) DC energy to pack 18.529 DC kWh
E) DC Test energy * 17.957 DC kWh

Analysis Note:
Values are based on
13 level 2 battery
charge events from
completely depleted
to fully charged...

Obviously, the averages above cannot be for "new" batteries, as they are for multiple charge/discharge events. They also could be for LEAFs with packs that have already suffered significant total capacity loss, but I don't see any indications in the report that that is the case.

Multiple charge/discharge cycles are necessary to give an accurate picture of available battery capacity, given the LBC's well documented use of inconsistent percentages of the total battery capacity, either due to instrument error, or by design, as suggested by the reference on p.17 of the report to:

...Two different Leafs, two different voltage cutoffs
which could contribute to the battery
capacity difference...

IMO, the inference from the rest of the report is that the battery testing might have been conducted at widely ranging temperatures, from 20 F to 95 F, which could explain the relatively low average available battery capacity of 17.957 kWh.

Unfortunately, the battery temperature (and other test conditions) for the merit review 21.381 kWh available capacity which started off this thread, have (AFAIK) never been reported.

edatoakrun said:
Unfortunately, the battery temperature (and other test conditions) for the merit review 21.381 kWh available capacity which started off this thread, have (AFAIK) never been reported.
What's your point?

Energy from the wall has been confirmed by multiple sources for like new LEAFs:
~25 kWh from turtle to 100% for a new LEAF

The Oct 12 test only measured 21 kWh from the wall (and a noted 5750 miles at start of test) which corresponds according to the reduction in DC energy available compared to the May 12 report, which appears to be the same vehicle.

Are you arguing that Nissan LEAF batteries don't lose capacity over time?

This report clearly shows they do (note that it's not clear where exactly they are measuring capacity):
http://avt.inel.gov/pdf/energystorage/DCFC_Study_FactSheet_40k.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I contacted TTRDC @ INL asking them about their testing on the Nissan LEAF a few days ago. They put me in contact with Henning Lohse-Busch who is the Manager, Vehicle Systems Research at the Center for Transportation Research and got some good information from him on some of these tests. Notes from my discussion:

1. The LEAF tested at http://www.transportation.anl.gov/D3/2012_nissan_leaf_electric.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; is not a 2012 LEAF, but a 2011 (VIN 000356 ~4300 miles at the start of test).
2. The LEAF tested at http://www1.eere.energy.gov/vehiclesandfuels/pdfs/merit_review_2012/veh_sys_sim/vss030_lohsebusch_2012_o.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; is also a 2011 LEAF (VIN 001432 ~1200 miles at start of test).

VIN 0356 has more information on it here: http://avt.inel.gov/fsev.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Note that the maintenance records on 0356 indicate that it had two battery modules replaced at 22,606 miles - currently the best hypothesis behind 0356's reduced capacity (~57Ah when tested) is that the two modules were already significantly weaker at the time of the test. Unfortunately, the car is no longer available for further testing so that can't be confirmed.

They will be obtaining a 2014 LEAF and doing HVAC testing specifically to see how much more efficient the heat pump is - hopefully in addition to their usual suite of tests.

If there is anything specific one would like to see, let me know and I can relay it on, or you can contact them yourself.

Back