Bridgestone EP422 tires swapped for Michelin Primacy MXV4s.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i have done a few more chrge-full of trips, and the m/kWh are definitely down sharply; last night the 53-mile trip took 10 bars and the average was 3.8m m/kwh.
I never had a trip under 4.1 m/kwh before and it generally was around 4.5 and often more.
so, i am thinking more and more about what it could be besides a few pounds extra in the car for four tires.

Something is wrong somewhere. I drive the same route every day for work and have since the car was new (well, actually, my company moved to a new facility in the valley this month so that will no longer be true as of today) and when I went from the Ecrapias to the Michelins, my average trip mileage fell from 4.4 to 4.3... I was running 40 pounds in the tires at the time (44 now).

thankyouOB said:
i have done a few more chrge-full of trips, and the m/kWh are definitely down sharply; last night the 53-mile trip took 10 bars and the average was 3.8m m/kwh.

TomT said:
Something is wrong somewhere. I drive the same route every day for work and have since the car was new (well, actually, my company moved to a new facility in the valley this month so that will no longer be true as of today) and when I went from the Ecrapias to the Michelins, my average trip mileage fell from 4.4 to 4.3... I was running 40 pounds in the tires at the time (44 now).

thankyouOB said:

thanks. i will have the balance checked and up the pressure -- in two steps.

the various online factoid sites on tires (tiretrack in particular) says the Michelins are about 4 pounds heavier per tire, 19 lbs vs. 23.
does that make that much difference, as I am off about 10% in m/kwh.

A set of tires would have to be pretty bad before I'd consider replacing them before they are worn out. Guess I'm not too discriminating when it comes to such things.

LTLFTcomposite said:
A set of tires would have to be pretty bad before I'd consider replacing them before they are worn out. Guess I'm not too discriminating when it comes to such things.

I've already worn out one set of Ecopias in 25,000 miles on the previous LEAF. Since I do NOT foresee these tires coming close to meeting the lease terms on my current LEAF, and I don't buy new tires for the dealer when I turn the car in, I just bought the Nissan Juke wheels and 215R45-17 Michelin MXM4 Primacy tires to enjoy while I'm driving the car.

Then, at turn in, I'll pop the 7000 mile Ecopias back on. I can sell the Juke wheels/tires for a substantial portion of what I paid for them.

So, you see, there are methods to the madness.

I'm still having a hard time picking my next tire, but I need to make up my mind this week! I'm really leaning towards one of Michelin's non-all season tires, but still with the "Low Rolling Resistance" rating. I just don't need an all season tire in the Bay Area. I'm thinking about the Energy Saver summer tire. The MXM4 does seem like a fun tire though. Any rolling resistance observations to share Tony?

Electric4Me said:
Any rolling resistance observations to share Tony?

I hope to have those on the car in a few days, and we'll see how they perform!!!

For rolling resistance test, I have my favorite test hill just a few miles away. I'll be able to tell pretty quick if there is any significant loss (or gain?) of rolling distance.

We've had some freakishly warm weather here yesterday and today, so I'll have to wait for the air density to come back down to "normal".

Michelin Performance Rating:
9 Wear Life
10 Fuel Efficiency
10 Handling
10 Braking
9 Comfort

TonyWilliams said:
LTLFTcomposite said:

I've already worn out one set of Ecopias in 25,000 miles on the previous LEAF. Since I do NOT foresee these tires coming close to meeting the lease terms on my current LEAF, and I don't buy new tires for the dealer when I turn the car in, I just bought the Nissan Juke wheels and 215R45-17 Michelin MXM4 Primacy tires to enjoy while I'm driving the car.

Then, at turn in, I'll pop the 7000 mile Ecopias back on. I can sell the Juke wheels/tires for a substantial portion of what I paid for them.

madness to my method, too.
two out of four of my Ecopias were ruined; one by a gouge and a bubble in the sidewall from going through some kind of road hazard. i had brought them in for a leak that was repaired, and the repaired tire was too damaged to survive a second patch.
the damage to the tire structure made me feel the damn tires were not up to standard, particularly when working with no spare.
i guess i could have gotten just two new ecopias.
i think of it as my low-end version of a third house with a car elevator.

The Ecopias were easily "pretty bad..."

LTLFTcomposite said:

I have a similar hill I test with which is part of my daily commute. It's a gradual 3 mile downgrade. With the worn Ecopias, I stabilized at 61mph when coasting. With the new Michelin MXV4s, it was 59. Not much difference. Now that they are worn in some, it is back to 60. Keep in mind that the resolution of the display is only 1.0 so the numbers are somewhat meaningless except to show that there is not much difference, and remember that this was with tires with much more tread depth then the Ecopias, which increases rolling resistance.

TonyWilliams said:
For rolling resistance test, I have my favorite test hill just a few miles away. I'll be able to tell pretty quick if there is any significant loss (or gain?) of rolling distance.

TonyWilliams said:

Hmmm... I was hoping the tires would survive the three year lease term; that's starting to sound like wishful thinking. I don't even know what the deal is on tires at lease turn-in, probably just another unpleasant surprise waiting there to reinforce the hard lesson of making a bad personal finance decision in support of a cause.

LTLFTcomposite said:
Hmmm... I was hoping the tires would survive the three year lease term; that's starting to sound like wishful thinking. I don't even know what the deal is on tires at lease turn-in, probably just another unpleasant surprise waiting there to reinforce the hard lesson of making a bad personal finance decision in support of a cause.

No, the stock tires won't make it. My under 10,000 mile stock tires and wheels are now in big trash bags, stored until my car is returned on lease. Here's the new Nissan Juke 17 x 7 wheels, with Nissan center caps, plus the Michelin MXM4 tires:

199E13BF-15B8-47D8-BB4B-6D777D2C6E28-5380-00000771337DEE76.jpg

0c67ff40348a935d0a9fb84990135c83.jpg

83d48c61d31cda8c8105df864cf04970.jpg

488b2f90794fd35c7d33abbcf1cf78ff.jpg

5c55bd1d42bdca2ef63bd95ffbdb707b.jpg

Electric4Me said:
Looks good Tony! Let us know when you have some LRR data!

Well, I suppose I will get a baseline tomorrow, as I have 105 miles to drive to the new Blink DC charger in Diamond Bar, California. I predict a good outcome, though. I don't think I'll come up too short with about an hour of L2 enroute. 45-50 mph is a bit over 3 hours total time.

I drove 160 miles in just about 5 hours yesterday, with about 3 hours of 16 amp charging (I don't know if they were 208v or 240v). Long day of high concentration driving!

Drove the Infiniti today up to LA to pick up the wheels. About 200 miles round trip, about 3 hours 30 minutes TOTAL with fuel stop (10 minutes).

I ran 40 on the Ecopias and initially on the MXV4s bur changed to 44 since it did not dramatically affect the ride, and handling and braking did not fall apart at that pressure like it did with the Ecopias.

thankyouOB said:
tom and tony,
i take the week-old mxv4s to the dealer this am around 11 for balance check.
what psi are you each using?

TomT said:
I ran 40 on the Ecopias and initially on the MXV4s bur changed to 44 since it did not dramatically affect the ride, and handling and braking did not fall apart at that pressure like it did with the Ecopias.

thanks.
So, I was up at the tire shop before you posted and went with 40 psi. i will test it out and would like to go to 44, based on your report.
these are much more substantial tires and grippy.
the tire mgr says he doesnt know why they would have more rolling resistance then the ecopias, but noted that all manufacturers are different.
aside from the weight difference, i think the ecopias are not as well constructed -- one of mine had gouges and a bubble in the sidewall.

afterwards, I did a short trip and I was up to getting 5.5 miles per bar at 60, which was a gain.
I need, or want, to get miles per bar for my commute, so i can safely get there and back on days when i am shut out of plugging in.

With the ecopias, I was getting to work consistently -- 25 miles -- using four bars and the psi at 36. There is some slower than freeway driving, streets and, of course, during the commute the freeway rarely goes 60 for very long.

Back