My first winter in NE w/ my 2012 Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of the (secondary) reasons I decided to get a set of wheels & snow tires for my Leaf is because this is my first vehicle to not include a spare tire. In the winter, I'll probably throw one of the all-seasons in the back to have as a spare (in good weather, I'll just call my wife & have her drive the spare down to where I'm stuck).

Which reminds me, I still need to find an old Altima jack to keep in the car.

Kathy, for you and Eric and maybe CD the issue would definitely be if you do get stuck what would KCPD do regarding low rolling resistance tires and the snow removal/getting stuck ordinance. If I remember correctly the ordinance calls out specifically for winter and all weather tires and anything else that gets stuck is subject to ticket and tow.

If we want to continue this in the KC regional forum pop in there and and I'll look into the actual ordinance.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=8646" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Having said that all my tires until now have been all weather Goodyear tires and I've never gotten stuck in snow or ice (except for that one time when I took the Pinto plowing through snow banks in Des Moines when I was 17).

Tom

Tom, I'm familiar with the KC emergency snow ordinance, which was in the back of my mind when the tire issue first came up (I've always been legal with all-season radials). We can take it to the local thread, though.

At the time I got stuck in a drift, it was in front of where I used to live; I was pulling up to the mailbox (a curbless area, kind of a ditch, picture a Samba Green Royale Honda Del Sol snout deep in snow). I should have known better than to even try. It's embarrassing having to be towed in front of your own residence, at the entrance to your driveway :oops: BUT, it's VERY handy having a family-owned automotive service and the tow truck driver be your brother (no charge)! :lol:
-Kathy

dgpcolorado said:
I don't think you can reliably do 68 miles RT in a snowstorm in the LEAF. Unless you have destination charging it just isn't going to work. Even on dry roads on cold days you will be pushing the range a bit. To put it in perspective: I get about 4.9-5.0 miles/kWh on the dash in summer and about 4.0-4.1 miles/kWh in winter. (But I charge in a garage that never goes below freezing, so my battery will hold more charge than those who charge in subfreezing temperatures.) If you had a similar decrease you could still make your commute on dry roads, but pushing through a snowstorm with the heater on? Not likely, unless you have reliable destination charging. I use a Jeep for such conditions, but I also deal with very steep hills so it is a safety issue.

there is a Nissan Dealer next to my work and a few charge stations on the way home. Truth be told, id just take my AWD FX35 on a day where i'd have something like that to worry about and keep the wifey with the leaf. or just call outta work all together. But Im going to really push this car to its limits and right now i get home with 30miles left on the GOM and 4bars. So I feel like im doing pretty well. Just 2 slight hills to and from which kills the GOM i guess cause the power bubbles go to 5 vs most of the drive im 2-3.

We will just have to wait and see i guess. or Ill be taking an hr break at walgreens or the nissan dealer for a quick charge LOL. (guess the extra 3kWh from an hr charge will give me an additonal 15miles for buffer(heat use)

Good morning, snow bunnies! Just had our first winter storm in Kansas City and it's about to finish blowing through here around 9:00-ish a.m. Winds have died down now. Not too deep in my area, maybe 3" or so. Took a vacation day and all the schools are closed, due to blizzard conditions blowing in from Kansas. Traffic was snarled up on the interstates during the rush hour commute, according to the news. Worst part of the storm is very high winds, up to 65 mph. I'll be heading out within the next hour, negotiating nearby roads. Must do Christmas shopping. First time since 2001 without 4WD, but should be OK with front wheel drive in the LEAF. Pushed the timer override to get to 100% charge just in case I need the extra energy, but I may not go too far, we shall see! Should be an interesting day. Be safe, happy LEAFing and Happy Holidays!

Kathy

I wish I can callout of work(( well - I decided not to take my chances - my V-8 still hasn't been sold and there is something to be said about those monsters in the snow :cool:

I got through this morning with no problems at all. Drove from house to dealer
(http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=5313&p=251982&hilit=EV+system+warning+light#p251982" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)
About 1-2 inches snow on the ground and about 2 inches floating in the air. I think the snow I saw falling originated out in Goodland and was just now landing in KC.

Car handled the snow perfectly and I had no problems.

Seven inches here and fairly cold: -8ºF at my house last night and -20ºF down in town according to a friend. Took me four+ hours yesterday afternoon and this morning to shovel my 400 foot gravel driveway and it was up to 10º by the time I left home, sunny and clear. Snowpacked roads all the way—19 miles—to my one-day-a-week volunteer job, but the roads were plowed and sanded, so no big deal (but I'm glad I didn't have to go anywhere yesterday during the storm). The LEAF did fine getting up my steep curving driveway, with help from the traction control. No snow tires for me, I have a '96 Jeep Cherokee if conditions get difficult.

I keep hearing that a Blizzard is going to pass through here, but the local forecasts seem to be calling for mostly rain and probably just an inch or so of accumulation. I'm trying to decide if I should actually put the winter tires on yet.

Back