Confirmation needed: Level 3 quick charge only on the SL?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Randy said:
Straight from Fabiola on the Leaf chat...The port for a quick charge will be available only by request, for both SV and SL trim levels. There will be an extra charge for that but the exact $$ amount is not available yet. We will share that information as it becomes available
Via email from Nissan EV Customer Support:
The level 3 quick charger is only available on the SL trim level of the Nissan LEAF. [personal details deleted]... rest assured that your choices are not set in stone and if you did not add it earlier you will have the opportunity to do so later with a dealer.

I agree, the car should be carefully designed to protect itself from bad, false, wrong, failed, or faulty inputs from the external "charge" devices.

Measuring the inputs before closing internal relays, and continuing to monitor for potentially harmful input(s) would seem to be a necessary part of the "basic safety" of a design (to me). But, some designers tend to assume the inputs will be "up to spec.", and "nothing can go wrong, go wrong, go wrong, ...".

One should not have to "bet the car" and depend upon the random charger working properly (up to the standards) each and every time one connects to "e-fuel" (which could be frequently).

Perhaps Nissan will let us know if they have included such "protection"?

For example, one is L3 charging at 150 amps, and the car signals the "charger" to reduce to 50 amps, but the charger does not respond (or increases the voltage to increase the current). The car needs to protect itself with a big relay (or some such) that can be "opened" (interrupt the high voltage and high current) to "save" the battery pack from damage.

It's already been stated elsewhere that the Level 3 DC charge port will have a CAN bus for communication between the charger and the vehicles ECU's, the external charger is supposed to follow orders regarding charge current/voltage from the onboard BMS/ECU's, these are smart chargers, they likely have safe guards built in. It will all be defined in the ISO DC standard, if they can ever get it done :)

sparky said:
Randy said:
Straight from Fabiola on the Leaf chat...The port for a quick charge will be available only by request, for both SV and SL trim levels. There will be an extra charge for that but the exact $$ amount is not available yet. We will share that information as it becomes available
The level 3 quick charger is only available on the SL trim level of the Nissan LEAF. [personal details deleted]... rest assured that your choices are not set in stone and if you did not add it earlier you will have the opportunity to do so later with a dealer.

ACK! Which leaves us back at square one....not really knowing for sure.

mwalsh said:
sparky said:
Randy said:

ACK! Which leaves us back at square one....not really knowing for sure.

Yeah, and then that raises yet another question... can the level 3 charging port be installed later as an accessory/upgrade? That would work for me, take the car without, then add it later if charging stations appear and I feel like I want it. Also give them a chance to settle further on standards.

you are overlooking one thing: The DC charging port could also be used for your OWN higher current external charger. I fully expect 3rd partys to come up with 8-12KW external DC chargers that use the dedicated DC port, for those who have places to go and people to meet :-O who has 8 hours to wait for a charge even at home sometimes... with no external DC charging port, you will only have the 3.3KW onboard S L O W charger.

LTLFTcomposite said:
I reserved the base model and got no such popup.
I don't remember a pop-up either ... but now that you mention "pop-up" ... I have a "pop-up" blocker ... so that might explain it for me (and maybe others) !

(P.S.: My FIRST post on this forum! :) )

I thought I had been back to this thread, but perhaps not. We've pretty much confirmed it..AS OF RIGHT NOW SL only, but an extra cost option. Subject to change, of course, once Nissan figures this stuff out once and for all.

Back