ELROY
Delivery Date: 27 Oct 2012
Leaf Number: 023406

Re: IS THIS NORMAL FOR A LEAF?

Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:02 am

TonyWilliams wrote:
ELROY wrote:
dgpcolorado wrote: If you haven't already done so, please take a look at Tony's range chart.

I actually carry the chart in the car. Lots of variables of course, but at least I can tell by my mi/kw what range of the chart I fall in. I average 3.2 mi/kwhr normally, but the 80 mile trip was at 4.0 mi/kwhr....(Dash Read Out) ... I only got 80 miles till the -- -- -- range indicator.
Does anyone know the effect of having an extra 275lbs in passengers in addition to me (175lbs).???
You pretty much nailed the expected range. At 4 miles/kWh, with a new battery at 21kWh useable at 70F (or warmer), 4 * 21 = 84 miles of range. If you look on the range chart, you will see that there were four miles left from Very Low Battery (when the GOM goes to "---"), Therefore your 80 miles plus 4 more equals 84 of range to turtle. Your LEAF's range autonomy couldn't be more perfect to our baseline model.

Sorry, there is no specific data on extra weight, because its effect is relatively small on steady speed level road. Either stop-and-go or up-and-down will have a greater impact to range. I offer a caution blurb on the range chart for those planning it close to max range with more than a driver.
I was driving pretty conservatively because I didn't want to get stranded. I find it very hard to get an indicated 4mi/Kwhr, so its amazing hearing about people saying they are getting 5mi+ /kwhr on trips.

I never use my heater, (Because it doesn't work at all for some strange reason).
So in the interim, I am fine using the heated seat and steering wheel. But as winter approaches, I am thinking I may sometime need that heater to work for defrosting purposes.

Also...I noticed my steering wheel is often either baking hot, or doesn't work at all when I am driving at times. Is there some kind of a timer in which it only works for a few minutes or something? Does anyone else have this problem of the steering heater not working at times when you want it to, even though the switch light stays on?

surfingslovak
Vendor

Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:04 am

ELROY wrote:Also...I noticed my steering wheel is often either baking hot, or doesn't work at all when I am driving at times. Is there some kind of a timer in which it only works for a few minutes or something? Does anyone else have this problem of the steering heater not working at times when you want it to, even though the switch light stays on?
Yes, this was mentioned before, and there was a nice plot of this behavior. This could be just Normal(TM).

davewill

Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:39 am

ELROY wrote:... I was driving pretty conservatively because I didn't want to get stranded. I find it very hard to get an indicated 4mi/Kwhr, so its amazing hearing about people saying they are getting 5mi+ /kwhr on trips. ...
No big trick. The people getting 5+ mpk are going 45 or so, and are timing the lights to keep from using the brakes as much as possible.
2014 Rav4 EV, Blizzard Pearl White
2011 LEAF SL w/QC, Blue Ocean, returned at end of lease

ELROY

Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:14 pm

davewill wrote:
ELROY wrote:... I was driving pretty conservatively because I didn't want to get stranded. I find it very hard to get an indicated 4mi/Kwhr, so its amazing hearing about people saying they are getting 5mi+ /kwhr on trips. ...
No big trick. The people getting 5+ mpk are going 45 or so, and are timing the lights to keep from using the brakes as much as possible.
So I would assume even with the brake regen, the net amount of energy lost by totally stopping is probably 4x greater than cruising through at 40mph, etc.

I kind of discovered this by going up that 2.4mile 6% grade and losing over 20miles of range...and then going down the other side, only regained 2 miles. So around a 10:1 loss in the climb/descent ratio.

surfingslovak
Vendor

Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:30 pm

ELROY wrote:I kind of discovered this by going up that 2.4mile 6% grade and losing over 20miles of range...and then going down the other side, only regained 2 miles. So around a 10:1 loss in the climb/descent ratio.
I'm afraid that it does not work that way. The GOM is not an accurate measure of energy expended or gained. At least not in the customary scientific or engineering sense. The closest approximation for that would be Gids, although they are not 100% accurate either. If I wasn't clear enough before: I don't think that there is really any point in watching the GOM go up or down. This gauge borders on a practical joke.Image

ELROY

Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:41 pm

surfingslovak wrote:
ELROY wrote:I kind of discovered this by going up that 2.4mile 6% grade and losing over 20miles of range...and then going down the other side, only regained 2 miles. So around a 10:1 loss in the climb/descent ratio.
I'm afraid that it does not work that way. The GOM is not an accurate measure of energy expended or gained. At least not in the customary scientific or engineering sense. The closest approximation for that would be Gids, although they are not 100% accurate either. If I wasn't clear enough before: I don't think that there is really any point in watching the GOM go up or down. This gauge borders on a practical joke.Image
Not sure what GIDs are, or how to measure them, is there a thread on this?

Secondly, is there a reason why the Miles/KWHR gauge is stuck at maximum for quite a bit of delay when your resume acceleration after coasting?

JeremyW
Delivery Date: 23 Jun 2012
Leaf Number: 19136

Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:37 pm

ELROY wrote:Also...I noticed my steering wheel is often either baking hot, or doesn't work at all when I am driving at times. Is there some kind of a timer in which it only works for a few minutes or something? Does anyone else have this problem of the steering heater not working at times when you want it to, even though the switch light stays on?
Yup that's the way mine works. Maybe there will be a mod one day to fix its quirks.
Former 2012 SL leasee 6/23/12 - 9/23/15
Former Fit EV leasee.
Now driving Spark EV and Model 3.

mwalsh
Delivery Date: 05 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 0213

Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:54 pm

ELROY wrote:Not sure what GIDs are, or how to measure them, is there a thread on this?
Gids are named after one of their discoverers, Gary Giddings, and are measured with a Gidometer, which he happens to sell build kits for. Use the trusty search engine and you'll find many threads related to Gids and Gidometers.
2011 Blue Ocean SL with 86,000 miles
2015 pack on 12/30/15
Tinted windows
Bosch AGM 12v
Ecopia 422+ tires
L1 EVSE upgrade
FIAMM horns
Superbright LED lighting
2013 sun visors
LED shifter
Heated seats
GT-R map lamp lenses
Altima illuminated door switches

cwerdna
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:20 pm

ELROY wrote: Not sure what GIDs are, or how to measure them, is there a thread on this?
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.p ... 79#p235079" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

'19 Bolt Premier
'13 Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

ELROY

Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:06 pm

cwerdna wrote:
ELROY wrote: Not sure what GIDs are, or how to measure them, is there a thread on this?
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.p ... 79#p235079" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks for the info!

Last night I charged the battery from 9pm to 7am this morning and unplugged it right before I left for work. I left with 11 bars, and right now it has gone down 3 complete bars (8 bars) in 11.2 miles of driving. Here I was figuring on safely achieving 6 miles per bar (18 miles), and I am far off of that. I will not charge it at all tonight, and continue to keep track of the progression of how many miles it get per bar. At this rate, I don't think I will get more than 30-40 miles till reaching the final 2 red bars. This is representative of my daily city driving cycle with no highway speeds at all.

I know it is not advisable to charge the battery to 100% or deplete it all the way. But has it been proven it is better to deep cycle it between 2 bars-10bars, rather than charging it from 6bars-10bars daily as an example?

Return to “Problems / Troubleshooting”