Open Letter from Nissan, September 22, 2012

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Focus EV pack is $20,864 locally and must be ordered. there is an exchange clause but am unable to get the parameters right now. She thinks it might be one of those "management decisions" again like the like the early Escape hybrid battery pack replacements

Hawk0630 said:
This is my first post in the forum, so let me introduce myself. I’m Jeff Kuhlman, Head of Global Communications for Nissan Motor Co. I enter the forum a bit intimidated….

…. Finally, we have not talked to you as frequently and as transparently as was needed.

On the last issue, there has been a debate in our profession about whether or not to participate in enthusiast forums, such as mynissanleaf.com. Too often such efforts, while noble, came off as spin. So, companies typically monitor the forums and then answer issues through their owned social platforms, such as YouTube, Facebook and Twitter. We have all of that, but we’re willing to talk here if invited. After reading through the responses to yesterday’s letter I realize that the discussions will often be tough, but that’s part of being the face of any company or brand. So, tell me when we’re falling short of the three areas that I’ve outlined above. My commitment to you is to monitor frequently, comment often and bring Nissan people – executives, engineers, designer, technologists – to this forum….

Hey Jeff,

We didn’t run you off did we? It’s been a month since we’ve heard from you…I’m still hoping that you can get Nissan to provide not only battery pack best care practices, but also estimates of the impact for each of the recommendations. Even if you don’t have that, please check in – Okay?

FairwoodRed said:
We didn’t run you off did we? It’s been a month since we’ve heard from you…I’m still hoping that you can get Nissan to provide not only battery pack best care practices, but also estimates of the impact for each of the recommendations. Even if you don’t have that, please check in – Okay?

Auto show season has started - Paris the end of September; Sao Paulo last month; LAAS this month; NAIAS in January; etc.... - I would imagine he's quite busy now for a while.

Edit: Full calendar (for this year at least) here:

http://www.edmunds.com/auto-shows/calendar.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

According to news reports yesterday, Nissan's Japanese COO, Toshiyuki Shiga, is personally heading a "task force" focused on accelerating the sales of EVs. Who knows...maybe he's already hanging out here (or at least a member of the task force), trying to find out what makes us tick. ;)

mwalsh said:
According to news reports yesterday, Nissan's Japanese COO, Toshiyuki Shiga, is personally heading a "task force" focused on accelerating the sales of EVs. Who knows...maybe he's already hanging out here (or at least a member of the task force), trying to find out what makes us tick. ;)
There was definitely quite a bit of activity in recent weeks. Discussions related to Hurricane Sandy and the Dropout thread were of particular interest. Not too many visitors from Japan. At least not today or yesterday, from what I can tell. We even had readers from Chevron here :shock:

mwalsh said:

What makes this site tick? How about sharing of information openly and honestly. Even if others disagree, we share what we know and how we got the information.

I thought Nissan had made a commitment to more frequent and straightforward dialogue.

To me, that means making an appearance more often than the Great Pumpkin... :roll:

someone said it is car show season, so they are too busy to talk to us or formulate an answer.

they do have evchels on payroll -- i know she is an independent voice, regardless of $$ -- and she comes around in some posts, if you can spot them, even posts video. I also heard that the advisory group is getting formed in one of those posts.

but if you want to know where and when and for how much you can buy a battery, or when the USA made LEAFs will arrive or the made in USA batteries -- good luck with that.
gone fishing.

rmoney tried that exact PR ploy in his election race, and folks decided they liked OB better than what is behind the curtain. Nissan didnt learn a thing from that.

thankyouOB said:
someone said it is car show season, so they are too busy to talk to us or formulate an answer.

It's starting to be (end of this month, really), but I don't think that's having an impact on our getting any info- if anything, sounds more like their own internal stuff: quarterly reports, etc. Regardless, absolute radio silence isn't helpful.

thankyouOB said:
they do have evchels on payroll -- i know she is an independent voice, regardless of $$ -- and she comes around in some posts.... I also heard that the advisory group is getting formed...

It is. From this forum, DaveinOlyWA, TonyW, and RegGuheert are all on board.

thankyouOB said:
if you want to know where and when and for how much you can buy a battery, or when the USA made LEAFs will arrive or the made in USA batteries -- good luck with that.

US LEAFs are scheduled to hit dealers end of Q1 2013 from all I've heard (start production in Dec.) Got nothing new on battery price yet, but still making a nuisance of myself until I do!

thankyouOB said:
someone said it is car show season, so they are too busy to talk to us or formulate an answer. ...

Well, how long does it take to type a post or two?

It doesn't have to convey any new breathtaking definitive Nissan policies. Just touch base, show you're listening, maintain a dialogue, maybe ask a few questions....

Nubo said:
thankyouOB said:
someone said it is car show season, so they are too busy to talk to us or formulate an answer. ...

Well, how long does it take to type a post or two?

It doesn't have to convey any new breathtaking definitive Nissan policies. Just touch base, show you're listening, maintain a dialogue, maybe ask a few questions....

+1

I'm on the road right now and able to communicate. Being too busy doesn't send the right message that Nissan care, in the absence of any posts we are to assume they don't care that much. They can't allocate someone who is less busy?

vrwl said:
This is definitely NOT a priority with Nissan.

Yep, and at the rate they are addressing it, this will morph into the Rav4ev forum. Or we'll see the "What does your Leaf replace" thread get overshadowed by the "With what did you replace your Leaf" thread.

That's because many of them are just a CARB sham to meet regulatory requirements. They'll build the number they need for compliance and then we'll never see them again. Nissan and Tesla are about the only companies that have demonstrated that they are in to EVs for the long haul...

vrwl said:
Unfortunately, so many of the similarly priced EVs are California-only vehicles. Wish these auto manufacturers would show Texas some love!

really is a shame. i got TAylorSF's charge records for the time he used my meter and he is seeing roughly a 10% degradation on just under 57,000 miles which is well within Nissan's 20% after 5 years (or 62,500 miles) which really only means a good TMS would have provided the same results for everyone...

Back