100 Mile Club, 200 km, 300 km, 200 Mile Club (24kWh LEAF)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
surfingslovak said:
TonyWilliams said:
How new is your car?
September 2012 is listed as delivery date, but it might be interesting to know when it was manufactured. Judging by the VIN, it could be a late 2011 or early 2012 model year?

Yes, that car is down the magic 10% first year drop (which just doesn't stop dropping in hot areas). 8681 is a 2011 model year. That thing sat on some lot (or was a demo) for a LONG time.

2012's start at 15,000 serial number. I know we had a 9300 serial number in Jan 2012, because I gave out an award for newest car.

Ah yes, it's a rather old one. It was transferred to this dealership from another in Bakersfield in March 2012 as I remember from the papers. I think I remember taking my first test drive in this one with a friend when he found he could get test drives just by asking... which is something I was bragging about ("OMG I drove a LEAF!") for almost a week at the office, lol. :lol:

It's a 2011 model year, so that dates it at least mid-2011 at most (plus shipping, delivery, etc). I drove off with the thing the same day I was told I could actually get a lease in it :D

FalconFour said:
Ah yes, it's a rather old one. It was transferred to this dealership from another in Bakersfield in March 2012 as I remember from the papers. I think I remember taking my first test drive in this one with a friend when he found he could get test drives just by asking... which is something I was bragging about ("OMG I drove a LEAF!") for almost a week at the office, lol. :lol:
Interesting! Just to get it straight, the car sat at a dealer in Bakersfield for a few months, and then transferred to Fresno, where it was on the lot from March to September? If you could look up the manufacture date, it's on a sticker on the driver door pillar, that would be super awesome. How many miles on the odometer?

BTW I'm really glad that you followed Tony's advice and drove 50 mph all the way. Given the state of the battery, you might not have made it otherwise!

Yep, that's about how it happened! Never sat on a waiting list myself, because I never thought I'd be able to own one (financially). Just found that sticker for the first time - never knew the date was on there! And whoa, it's 14 months old... was a year old when I got it! :eek:

Not bad! :mrgreen:

edit: 1) uploaded wrong photo... "select a quality to save at", d'oh. 2) oh, right, I should answer that. 3) Oh, the odometer. It had 180 miles on it when I got it, and now it's got 1,080. 900 miles in a month? Yep, that's right on tick for the lease... even though I've been driving everywhere I possibly can! :lol:

Attachments

• Photo Oct 08, 8 57 36 PM.jpg
    Photo Oct 08, 8 57 36 PM.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 148
FalconFour said:
And whoa, it's 14 months old... was a year old when I got it!
Thanks for confirming that! I noticed that you had about 1,000 miles on the odometer, give or take?

Yep, that's the 1,080 - and counting. So yeah, it's sat for almost a year only being used for test drives I think... and amusingly, on the first day I drove it, I blew out the passenger's side front tire catching the edge of a driveway turn-in. Those things are just too fragile! :x

edit: D'oh, it was 1,080 when I left San Jose! So now it's almost 1,200... jeez! It was only like 890 when I left on Saturday! :lol:

edit edit: I'll bet I could do better if there was more city-street driving I could've done. About 75% of my charge there was spent at highway speed, 50-55MPH on mostly flat road. Feel kinda bad sneaking my way onto the charts with only 96.3 actual miles and the rest relying on the known conditions of VLB (and knowing there were still some miles left), but I'm pretty sure I'll be seeing that number again in the 4 year lease I'm on ;)

I just got 102.6 miles on 100% charge yesterday, 20th november, 2012. This was done over 3 days of driving starting on 18th november. This was partly on freeway and partly on city streets / expressways. On freeway I stayed in right lane mostly with cruise control at 56 mph and sometimes going at higher speeds depending on mood of rest of the traffic! Other times it was on expressways at around 40 mph and other city streets at 25 - 35 mph.
I had low battery warning and --- on GOM.
I didn't reach turtle mode and didn't want to push the car further to go to turtle.

leafetarian said:
I just got 102.6 miles on 100% charge yesterday, 20th november, 2012. This was done over 3 days of driving starting on 18th november. This was partly on freeway and partly on city streets / expressways. On freeway I stayed in right lane mostly with cruise control at 56 mph and sometimes going at higher speeds depending on mood of rest of the traffic! Other times it was on expressways at around 40 mph and other city streets at 25 - 35 mph.
I had low battery warning and --- on GOM.
I didn't reach turtle mode and didn't want to push the car further to go to turtle.
Congrats! Would you have a photo of the dash? :)

Thank you Tony for the title of Mr. 42! Our club numbers are now approaching close to the president numbers! I got the same number as Clinton! Who wants to be Bush of this club?? :)

surfingslovak sorry I forgot to take pic of the dashboard in excitement.

TonyWilliams said:
New requirement; your trip must start and end at the same elevation, or end at a higher elevation.
Well, shoot. This new requirement is completely fair, but sort of caught me by surprise. We finally got around to doing 100 miles without recharging, but our starting elevation was 6100' (home) and we ended up at 2000' (east of Barstow, CA). With that kind of elevation drop, doing 100 miles was not hard at all. We started with 87.5% (in gids, and not even a full charge) and ended with 11.3%. But no "100 mile club" for me...
img2074reduced.jpg

abasile said:
TonyWilliams said:
New requirement; your trip must start and end at the same elevation, or end at a higher elevation.
Well, shoot. This new requirement is completely fair, but sort of caught me by surprise. We finally got around to doing 100 miles without recharging, but our starting elevation was 6100' (home) and we ended up at 2000' (east of Barstow, CA). With that kind of elevation drop, doing 100 miles was not hard at all. We started with 87.5% (in gids, and not even a full charge) and ended with 11.3%. But no "100 mile club" for me...

Honorary membership in the club!

TonyWilliams said:
Honorary membership in the club!
Thanks for the sentiment! That was a neat drive, by the way:
- Drove from our house up to Big Bear Lake, maxing out at 7100'.
- Went down the "back side" of the San Bernardino Mountains to Lucerne Valley, staying behind slow vehicles to maximize regen on the steep 3000' descent.
- Headed up CA-247 across some very lonely desert to Barstow, including a 4000' pass.
- Hopped on Interstate 15 for several miles and then drove up to the Calico ghost town.
- Went back to the nearby KOA campground by the freeway, then did some more driving just to hit 100 miles without charging.

The next day, after charging at the KOA, we drove further east into the desert, partly on a dirt road. We returned via I-15, passing through the CA agricultural inspection station in a car that could not have easily left the state.

After a full charge at the KOA (elev. 2000'), we drove 44 miles to Victorville where we charged at the Mojave AQMD (elev. 2900') and walked to Home Depot and In-N-Out Burger while charging for 2+ hours. We left the AQMD with 83.9% charge, drove surface streets to CA-173 and CA-138 past Silverwood Lake and up to Crestline, then CA-18 (Rim of the World Highway) back home. We ended the 50 mile drive home from the Mojave AQMD with 15.6% charge indicated, having climbed a net of 3200'. Beautiful drive up the mountain from Hesperia, with nice fall colors, by the way.

abasile said:
GRA said:
I expect we'll be reading accounts this winter of Leafers stuck on a freeway in really cold weather when the road gets shut down for an accident, and running out of charge. No big deal here in coastal California, but I'd hate to be in the situation of having to decide between running my heater for a couple of hours in temps at or below zero to avoid frostbite/hypothermia, or else being able to get off the freeway unassisted. In those kinds of conditions, I'd want to have a reserve that would give me at least 2 hours of heater/defroster use in addition to the range requirement, and that really sinks a Leaf-range car's practical commute range.
There is a simple solution to this. No matter what kind of vehicle one is driving, it is always wise to carry an extra blanket and extra clothing when driving in winter conditions. Gasoline cars can and will occasionally break down and strand their occupants in poor conditions. Driving a battery-powered car, the concern is not so much the possibility of mechanical breakdown, but rather preserving enough charge to complete the drive. If I find myself stuck behind an accident in frigid conditions, I am not going to run my LEAF's heater continuously. I will instead take out the warm blanket and extra jacket that I keep in the trunk, right next to my tire chains and charging adapters. If it's really cold, maybe consider keeping a couple of quality, compact sleeping bags in the trunk; they are great for keeping warm in an emergency. This isn't hard, and would be good advice for all cold-weather drivers.
I'm late to this part of the thread (from Dec 2011 as I make my way through it), but thought I should mention two simple inexpensive options I've found helpful for keeping warm in below freezing weather. Both of them would easily fit in a normal glove compartment, so it's easy to carry a few of each in the corner of the trunk. Hopefully some here will find this info helpful.
1. Emergency blanket (aluminum coated plastic that reflects back about 95%+ of body heat) for about $2.
A friend and I used a pair to wrap up in and sleep a few hours sitting in the front seats of a cargo van in Portland one winter with snow on the ground waiting for my return flight to So Cal after driving up with him. We were surprised at how well they worked.
2. ThermaCare heating belt for several dollars. You can also buy other sizes, but the belt is easy to put on and keeps you plenty warm.
These are packets of an iron mixture that heats up due to oxidation upon opening the package. They say they keep you warm up to 8 hours, but I've found they last a lot longer.

I've also used PCM (phase change material) like pouches of sodium acetate aka "hot ice" that when triggered releases latent thermal energy in an exothermic reaction at a fairly constant 113 degrees fahrenheit. They are rechargeable and reusable a number of times.

From Wikipedia:
"Heating pad
Sodium acetate is also used in consumer heating pads or hand warmers and is also used in hot ice. Sodium acetate trihydrate crystals melt at 58.4°C,[4] (to 58°C [5]) dissolving in their water of crystallization. When they are heated to around 100°C, and subsequently allowed to cool, the aqueous solution becomes supersaturated. This solution is capable of cooling to room temperature without forming crystals. By clicking on a metal disc in the heating pad, a nucleation centre is formed which causes the solution to crystallize into solid sodium acetate trihydrate again. The bond-forming process of crystallization is exothermic.[6][7][8] The latent heat of fusion is about 264–289 kJ/kg.[5] Unlike some other types of heat packs that depend on irreversible chemical reactions, sodium acetate heat packs can be easily recharged by placing in boiling water for a few minutes until all crystals are dissolved; they can be reused many times."

As an experiment I am planning on testing other PCMs such as those used in greenhouses and other buildings to reduce thermal cycling in my existing ICE. Since I live in the Idaho panhandle, I'm looking for ways to mitigate cold weather effects on the LEAF's range before I get one. When I'm further along, I will post my progress and results for others to consider. Note that these PCMs should work both ways in keeping the LEAF warmer in cold temperatures and cooler in hot temperatures.

My primary interest in the 100 Mile Club is learning how to maximize the LEAF's range especially in colder weather to make it a viable solution for our next car. Our typical week involves one or two 40-50 mile round trips during the week and one 75-80 mile trip on Saturdays. Occasionally we have one day that involves multiple errands resulting in 95-110 miles of travel with little time for recharging and we have limited charge options in the area (Spokane, Washington).

I keep getting close but the need for charge the next day requires recharging. I've hit 88 miles 2x. I did to over 300 in one day but obviously that was recharging...4x at L2. Took 18 hours.

RWatkins said:
abasile said:
GRA said:
My primary interest in the 100 Mile Club is learning how to maximize the LEAF's range especially in colder weather to make it a viable solution for our next car. Our typical week involves one or two 40-50 mile round trips during the week and one 75-80 mile trip on Saturdays. Occasionally we have one day that involves multiple errands resulting in 95-110 miles of travel with little time for recharging and we have limited charge options in the area (Spokane, Washington).

Thanks, RWatkins for tips about keeping heat with aluminum blanket, etc.
Just trying to answer your question.
There are many people here who can share tips about how to maximize your range. But, for whatever it's worth, I will share what I think. Try to go slow and try to smooth out acceleration and decelerations. Try to not light up more than 2 dots/bubbles on either side "Power" or "Regen". Ideal would be only one dot lighting up. Going up the hills gradually slow down while reducing the power you use to climb up and going down hills, let it naturally increase speed without too much regen so at the peak your speed would be at minimum point. Try to use cruise control as much as possible. I like that a lot and I just forget about driving and kind of set the car on auto-pilot and listen to NPR! I find it is a more relaxing and less stressful way of moving instead of what I used to do with my previous ICE car - speeding up, overtaking people, slowing down quickly etc. Another thing is heating a person is always way more efficient than heating all the air in the whole car. So, try to use heated seats and I don't think they cost much energy. Using blankets / warm jackets, etc. would be the same thing - heating a person instead of heating the whole car. Also heating a person has much more immediate impact than waiting for the whole car to heat up. I am told that the new LEAF has a much more efficient heating method - air source heat pump, which is similar to the way LEAF AC works. Leaf AC is so efficient that it doesn't impact range by much unlike the current heater which uses resistance heating and costs lot of energy.
Use Tony's range chart to decide on speed appropriate for you to make it without recharging. Using one Level 2 charge over lunch (1.5 hours) and one QC, I could drive Leaf for 200 miles in one day. See if you can use charging at some campgrounds with evseupgrade. Your weekly 40-50 mile roundtrips should be easily do-able. Even if you have to rent a car for some long weekend trip, Leaf is still worth it. Just the gas savings from daily trips can easily pay for your weekend rental car. At least it does in my case and I can even manage to do longer trips of 130+ miles without renting car.

leafetarian said:
RWatkins said:

Thanks, RWatkins for tips about keeping heat with aluminum blanket, etc.
Just trying to answer your question.
There are many people here who can share tips about how to maximize your range. But, for whatever it's worth, I will share what I think.
Use Tony's range chart to decide on speed appropriate for you to make it without recharging. Using one Level 2 charge over lunch (1.5 hours) and one QC, I could drive Leaf for 200 miles in one day.
Thanks for your reply and suggestions. I won't be getting a 2011/2012 so the heater issue should be no problem. Only the cold weather battery capacity hit, but I think we can handle with preheat in an insulated unheated garage. After further checking it looks like our Saturday trips will allow a L1 4-hour charge with preheat in winter, so that also looks okay. Lots more reading for me to do while I try to get our finances lined up to handle a new LEAF.

RWatkins said:
I live in the Idaho panhandle
[...]
I won't be getting a 2011/2012 so the heater issue should be no problem.
You'll want to be aware that the heat pump only operates down to some temperature like 40F. Below that, the resistive heater uses the same power it always has. This will be important "in some areas", and I would guess, that includes Idaho.

ksnogas2112 said:
I keep getting close but the need for charge the next day requires recharging. I've hit 88 miles 2x.
Having topped 100 miles 15 times (and 200km 3 times), I made some of those 100-mile charges by driving around needlessly for another 12 miles after hitting the 88 miles you have gone. Just keep going until you hit 100 miles and then recharge for the next day.

gbarry42 said:
RWatkins said:
I live in the Idaho panhandle
[...]
I won't be getting a 2011/2012 so the heater issue should be no problem.
You'll want to be aware that the heat pump only operates down to some temperature like 40F. Below that, the resistive heater uses the same power it always has. This will be important "in some areas", and I would guess, that includes Idaho.
Thanks for the heads up.
We had a ground source heat pump specified instead of a gas furnace when we had our home built years ago. i knew at the time that an air to air hp wouldn't work as well here. We'll have to actually see what the specs are on the 2013 LEAF hp. From what I've read, newer air to air hps are better designed to handle lower temps and should work fine for us most of the winter. There is also the preheat and heated seats and steering wheel already available with the 2012s, so we should be fine for our needs.

Back