Experience after 2 months

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PhilRW said:
Old rules for old technology. If I read it correctly, this item applies to an automatic transmission, which the Leaf arguably does not have.

Local ordinance by way if inheriting the state traffic codes states that ALL motor vehicles are required to have a muffler.

ksnogas2112 said:
Local ordinance by way if inheriting the state traffic codes states that ALL motor vehicles are required to have a muffler.
I was worried there for a second, but fortunately Colorado has CRS 42-4-225 Mufflers - prevention of noise: (4) This section shall not apply to electric motor vehicles.
Phew! I feel better now. :)

PhilRW said:
ksnogas2112 said:
I was worried there for a second, but fortunately Colorado has CRS 42-4-225 Mufflers - prevention of noise: (4) This section shall not apply to electric motor vehicles.
Phew! I feel better now. :)

For States were electric vehicles need to have a muffler installed:

woolen-muffler-02-805797.jpg

I leave it up to you as to where you wish to install it.

I participated in an Earth Day event this past Spring.

The EVs were parked on a grassy section in a large park. As we arrived one of the event volunteers directed us to our parking spots, and as we exited the vehicles, instructed us that local regulations and Event Rules required we place the large cardboard square she was handing out under the vehicle to protect the grass from motor oil. My incredulous look did not overturn their rules. Using one-eyed-thumb-aiming techniques I made an estimate of the most likely offending oil drip location, and flung the cardboard under the EV.

I completed the setup job by mounting the "No Gas, No Oil, No Tailpipe" sign.

:roll:

Devin said:
mdh said:
The felt on the door armrest is really a bad choice.
+1!!!

After two months they're getting grungy. I'm pretty good about keeping my hands clean but one hazard of EV driving is that immediately before I get in the car I coil up the charge cord which has been sitting on the ground so my hands get dirty. Looking forward to getting leather.

Keep a pair of garden gloves in door sill pocket.

dcxplant said:
Devin said:
mdh said:
The felt on the door armrest is really a bad choice.
+1!!!

After two months they're getting grungy. I'm pretty good about keeping my hands clean but one hazard of EV driving is that immediately before I get in the car I coil up the charge cord which has been sitting on the ground so my hands get dirty. Looking forward to getting leather.

Keep a pair of garden gloves in door sill pocket.

are we not getting darker interior color choices for 2013?

that is an honest question. there has been so many rumors going around on that i have kinda lost track

i still love it, but i'm really needing Nissan to get more charging stations in my town. aren't that many. get with the program people

briando said:
i still love it, but i'm really needing Nissan to get more charging stations in my town. aren't that many. get with the program people
We just got our first station in town, and it certainly wasn't Nissan that put it there, because it is at a Ford dealership. I think you are directing your plea to the wrong place. Tesla uses a proprietary charging connection, so they are having to put in all of their own stations, which is going to limit them dramatically. Nissan has used standard connections; a Japanese standard for Quick Charge and a nearly worldwide standard for other charging. In our capitalist economy it is and should be companies in the business of distributing energy and/or vehicle support that provide the charging stations.

Ray

3,300 miles, 2+ months, one of the hottest climates in North America (Palm Springs area) = highest praise for an excellent car.
I've posted little, but I've read many complaints. Negative posts give an unreal picture. Our Leaf is the closest to perfect commuter/runabout car in my 58 years of driving.
Of course, more options and more models, longer range, readily available and free DC public chargers would be nice. In reality, Nissan is building a hyper MPGe commuter that most of us can easily put in our driveways, which returns enjoyable driving with frequent spontaneous smiles passing by gas stations and repair centers.
Biggest change noticed: we were spending $450 each month on gas, now $50 in electricity. We are happy with our Leaf and look forward to the future of EVs and all EV driving issues.

Herm said:
SSS said:
3,300 miles, 2+ months, one of the hottest climates in North America (Palm Springs area) = highest praise for an excellent car.

I sure hope you leased..
Yes, I did, not out of fear for battery capacity and the Phoenix losses but due to the attractive lease offer from Torre Nissan, La Quinta -- $7,500 rebate up front, very generous trade-in, plus good terms on the lease "gotchas."
The potential battery loss in hot areas is merely a depreciation item. If I keep any EV long enough there will be a need to maintain batteries and renew as needed. That's a fair trade-off for me to never have to deal with winter. Depletion is a fact of life, anyplace in varying amounts.

I've lived in the desert southwest all my life and heat damages all kinds of things. In 1972 I was the proud owner of a new "2 Liter" air-cooled VW bus/van. One year and 24,000 miles later the air-cooled engine sucked an intake valve through a piston head due to over heating . . . even a new air-cooled engine melted from this climate and the heat coming off the blacktop road surfaces. Puzzled me why the brilliant German engineers didn't foresee that. Depreciation happens, we deal with it. In the meantime, I keep on smiling and am constantly amazed as I cruise around in this technical marvel which is also an absolutely silent and clean vehicle.

SSS said:
Herm said:
SSS said:

I sure hope you leased..
Yes, I did, not out of fear for battery capacity and the Phoenix losses but due to the attractive lease offer from Torre Nissan, La Quinta -- $7,500 rebate up front, very generous trade-in, plus good terms on the lease "gotchas."
The potential battery loss in hot areas is merely a depreciation item. If I keep any EV long enough there will be a need to maintain batteries and renew as needed. That's a fair trade-off for me to never have to deal with winter. Depletion is a fact of life, anyplace in varying amounts.

I've lived in the desert southwest all my life and heat damages all kinds of things. In 1972 I was the proud owner of a new "2 Liter" air-cooled VW bus/van. One year and 24,000 miles later the air-cooled engine sucked an intake valve through a piston head due to over heating . . . even a new air-cooled engine melted from this climate and the heat coming off the blacktop road surfaces. Puzzled me why the brilliant German engineers didn't foresee that. Depreciation happens, we deal with it. In the meantime, I keep on smiling and am constantly amazed as I cruise around in this technical marvel which is also an absolutely silent and clean vehicle.

Hey!! better watch that common sense now!

Back