Official Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV SUV thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
being able to choose a charger mode could prevent running the battery way down and hurting it. A couple of years back we got a freak ice/snow storm here that coated the highway with a porcelain finish of ice so slick cars were going from a standstill to sliding sideways spontaneously if the road was even a little sloped. It was an awful round of shuffle board on the highway. we were in our 2007 hybrid hylander for 11 hours going 1/4 of a mile an hour with no way off the highway (it was to be a 30 minute trip to the airport!). apparently the hybrid system is not designed for that, the motor never kicked in and charged the battery up for some reason and the battery level dropped to colors I've never seen. After a while various fault messages came up, demanding that we drive the car to the side of the road and turn it off. The next day, the codes came up again and the gas mileage dropped quite a bit, permanently! We took it in and got the "couldn't find a problem" run around, with "but we "refreshed" the software, if the code comes up again just ignore it". Toyota did not admit the battery could have been damaged... since the 2007 battery was one huge pack and not modular, we got cold feet and traded it in fearing a $10K premature pack replacement post warranty as well as crappy MPG's from there out. The 2011 we traded up for has a modular battery, which helped us feel more comfortable knowing a single module could be replaced if there was an issue with one. But recently we were doing some unusually slow driving in CA in heavy traffic, stopping with the AC on for long periods with the kids in the car and the same thing began happening again but fortunately we were able to get back up to speed before anything weird happened. I would very much have liked the ability to tell the car to charge the battery to protect it at that point. One would think the BMS would take care of all this but after our first experience, we would rather have piece of mind and be on the safe side as proving battery degradation and getting it "repaired" under warranty is dicey with more than just Nissan.

DaveinOlyWA said:
i would find it very extraordinary to see mileage anywhere near that high but with a 30 mile EV range it would be very tempting for us as well to replace our Prius. a larger car would be nice because we do have storage issues frequently which up to now has been solved by going camping with other family members who can take some of our gear. this would cover that and plus put us in a situation where it would still be all EV most of the time.

Sounded interesting until I saw the specs. The 30 miles are on the JP08 cycle.. so expect 18-22 on EPA. PlugInPrius was 16.2 on JP08, 11 on EPA and its more areodynamic Higher speeds have higher impact in the SUV. And with a 20ish mile range, not clear what QC provides, and they will not be that dense a deployment of QC anytime soon. Maybe they will be selling QC for home use to make up for the short range.

DrInnovation said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
i would find it very extraordinary to see mileage anywhere near that high but with a 30 mile EV range it would be very tempting for us as well to replace our Prius. a larger car would be nice because we do have storage issues frequently which up to now has been solved by going camping with other family members who can take some of our gear. this would cover that and plus put us in a situation where it would still be all EV most of the time.

Sounded interesting until I saw the specs. The 30 miles are on the JP08 cycle.. so expect 18-22 on EPA. PlugInPrius was 16.2 on JP08, 11 on EPA and its more areodynamic Higher speeds have higher impact in the SUV. And with a 20ish mile range, not clear what QC provides, and they will not be that dense a deployment of QC anytime soon. Maybe they will be selling QC for home use to make up for the short range.

"...The 30 miles are on the JP08 cycle..."

Over 34 miles (projected) electric range on JP08, actually.

Has the Volt ever been officially rated on the JP08? What would it get, about 50 miles range?

QC capability means it could burn less gas than a Volt, or any other PHEV without QC capability, on longer trips, by recharging en-route.

For example, I could probably make my regular 85+ mile trip (most of which is at or below JP08 speeds) using very little gas with one QC (In "downtown" Burney, where I almost always stop anyway) and could do the entire trip on Electricity, if I chose to stop twice.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=9064" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This would be the perfect "back-up" ICEV for those BEV drivers, like me, who actually need 4wd capability for winter and off-road driving.

edatoakrun said:
DrInnovation said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

"...The 30 miles are on the JP08 cycle..."

Has the Volt ever been officially rated on the JP08? What would it get, about 50 miles range?

QC capability means it could burn less gas than a Volt, or any other PHEV without QC capability, on longer trips, by recharging en-route.

For example, I could probably make my regular 85+ mile trip (most of which is at or below JP08 speeds) using very little gas with one QC (In "downtown" Burney, where I almost always stop anyway) and could do the entire trip on Electricity, if I chose to stop twice.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=9064" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This would be the perfect "back-up" ICEV for those BEV drivers, like me, who actually need 4wd capability for winter and off-road driving.
Yeah, while I tentatively like the C-Max Energi, having AWD is a big plus for me, even though I haven't been taking as many ski trips as formerly (more scuba trips instead). It does appear that Mitsubishi decided not to go with that awful high-beltline/low-roofline look which I think of as 'Gangster Staff Car' (think Chrysler 300), that they showed early on. A very good thing, as especially with the large A and B pillars, trying to see out of the car would have been like looking out of a cave.

This is a very practical PHEV. I like it much more than the C-Max Energi but I suspect it's not going to be cheap. Anyone have any information on the est price?

http://portland.craigslist.org/nco/tls/3259136848.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This 65kw stand by generator runs on natural gas or propane and has a V8 engine :shock: . Cost 7500 used :eek: . The Outlander will have a 70kW running on a 2l 4 cylinders. If they come up with a good EV to home at least 20kW, one can claim it saves money on a standby generator by buying the Outlander.

When do they usually announce the price?

Press Release: World Premiere of Mitsubishi Motors' Outlander PHEV with State-of-the-Art Plug-in Hybrid EV System at 2012 Paris Motor Show
http://www.mitsubishi-motors.com/publish/pressrelease_en/motorshow/2012/news/detail0853.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

1) Automatic Selection of Three Drive Modes for Optimal Efficiency
2) High-capacity Drive Battery Offers Driving Versatility (12kWh battery)
3) Twin Motor 4WD System (60kw X 2)

adric22 said:
edatoakrun said:
The driver can also manually switch to Battery Charge Mode in which the gasoline engine acts as a generator (70 kW generating capacity) and charges the drive battery whether the vehicle is stationary or on the move. Battery Charge Mode gives the driver the flexibility to use the gasoline engine as a generator at any time they want; for example if the driver wants to use EV Drive Mode at a specific time, they can make sure the drive battery has enough energy for that time.

That is an interesting feature I've often wondered about on other PHEV systems. I understand that it is probably more efficient to use the engine to drive the car than it would be to charge the battery for driving later. But being that the only thing needed to add such a feature would essentially be a software change, I think it is a neat feature to have. If I preferred the way the vehicle drives when it is in EV mode but didn't have enough range to make it to work and back, I could allow it to recharge the battery while sitting in the parking lot at work. Then drive home with EV mode again. I suppose one benefit is that the I.C.E. could run at its most efficient configuration during the entire charge session, rather than adjusting for driving conditions.

Some cities in Europe are friendlier to EV vehicles, so you can make sure that your car acts as EV when you arrive to city centre. On other hand idling car is usually illegal in Europe... ;-)

edatoakrun said:

I've never found JP08 data for the Volt, but the Opel Ampera official all-electric range under the EU-approved UN ECE R101 standard (a.k.a. NEDC or New European Drive Cycle) for plug-in hybrids is 83 km (52 mi). My understanding is JP08 is just slightly harder (e.g. 100MPGe on NEDC would imply 97MPGe on JP08), so yes about 50 would seem to be correct. But cannot just consider 35EPA/52 or 11/16.8 suggesting 30 JP08 -> [18-21], because the higher speeds on EPA testing have a non-linear areo impact so more impact on the outlander than the volt or Prius PHV. I'd expect lower more like [15-18].

I doubt most people would stop for QC every 14-15 miles (QC to 80% of 18), even if QC charger density every became that high. I doubt I would. I would be an EV around the neighborhood and ICE on any trip.

But if it could make a good awd replacement when the wife's subrau eventually dies.

Has anybody found any specs showing the interior dimensions yet? The most detailed I've come across is for the non-PHEV Outlander, which is now on sale in Russia, but the specs there don't list the interior dimensions. Aaargh!

ahagge said:
Has anybody found any specs showing the interior dimensions yet? The most detailed I've come across is for the non-PHEV Outlander, which is now on sale in Russia, but the specs there don't list the interior dimensions. Aaargh!
Good news, bad news:

Good news: More information is now available, at least for the non-PHEV Outlander.
Bad news: It's all in Japanese (today is the official introduction in Japan). AND it still doesn't appear to have interior dimensions.

Sigh. The wait goes on...

Any guess as to how much this would cost?? If the price is right, we would live to have this to complement the leaf??

Will the generator be sufficient to power the home as well??

Saleem

ICE-version interior dimensions.
http://www.mitsubishi-motors.co.jp/reference/newmodelfaq/outlander/2-2.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
[1] passenger room length 2580mm
Over all room length 2750mm
[2] Width 1495mm
[3] Height 1265mm
Model with sunroof 1205mm

ht2 said:
ICE-version interior dimensions.
http://www.mitsubishi-motors.co.jp/reference/newmodelfaq/outlander/2-2.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
[1] passenger room length 2580mm
Over all room length 2750mm
[2] Width 1495mm
[3] Height 1265mm
Model with sunroof 1205mm
Thanks, but I'd already found that, and it's not too useful. What I need are the head-, leg- and shoulder-room specs, per the US "standard" method of measuring.

Hopefully something will come out of the L.A. Auto Show later this week...

Short review from Autocar UK.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/first-drives/first-drive-review-mitsubishi-outlander-phev" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Kataphn said:
Is there information available yet on what the towing capacity will be for this plug in?

Towing capacity is 1500kg / 3300lbs

ahagge said:
Thanks, but I'd already found that, and it's not too useful. What I need are the head-, leg- and shoulder-room specs, per the US "standard" method of measuring.

Hopefully something will come out of the L.A. Auto Show later this weefk...

This pdf might help
http://www.mitsubishi-motors.co.jp/outlander/spec/pdf/outlander_figure.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There is less headroom with the sunroof option. You lose about an inch, ~39" w/o sunroof or ~38" with for front passengers. Rear passengers get 37-38.5".

Front seats are about 20" wide, total front width is 59". Rear bench is 50".

The problem is - this won't come to US until end of this year (or early next). This is what Mitsu did to i as well - brought it very late after introducing it in Japan. If they had brought it sooner, they would have got a bunch of early adopter sales, which they lost of Leaf.

Mitsubishi said it will be released here in Jan 2014. I agree it would be nice if it came sooner, they claim it's due to the additional regulatory requirements here.

I don't think they're in the same position as the MiEV, however. There is no other comparable vehicle currently scheduled to intercept the market earlier. GM may be positioned to reveal a Voltec based SUV but given there haven't been any announcments to that effect it would seem unlikely they will have anything sooner than Mitsu

Just wondering if anyone else here find the position of the charging port in the rear quarter panel to be problematic.

I don't understand why the vehicle designers had to pick the rear quarter panel. The MiEV has it in the same location.... :-(

Back