Climate control Fogs up car!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have just experienced this for the first time after the huge amount of rain we've had in N. California. I was out last night and ran the defroster all the way home (which by default turns on the A/C). All was well - no problems.
Upon pre-conditioning the car this morning with car plugged in (temp about 55 in my garage) I found after 1/2 hour the inside like a steam bath/sauna! Even the "piano black" panels were steamed up.
Yes - there WAS a lot of moisture in the car from wet feet, wet jackets, etc. but I can't fathom why Nissan would not consider this might be a problem in humid areas (the problem of using recirculated air only when pre-condioning).
I had to open the doors and let the car "air out" for 10 minutes before I could drive off with mostly clear windows.
I imagine that residual moisture in the A/C system contributes to this issue as well as I've noted "fog" appearing on the windshield at night when starting out even when there is no rain but I've used the A/C previously in the day.
I can only hope Nissan will address this issue in a future software update.

WAM said:
I imagine that residual moisture in the A/C system contributes to this issue as well as I've noted "fog" appearing on the windshield at night when starting out even when there is no rain but I've used the A/C previously in the day.....

Sounds reasonable.

One good practice for automotive AC is to turn it off a few minutes prior to arriving at your destination. This gives the blower a chance to dry residual moisture off of the condenser coils. Sounds like this might help with the pre-heat fogging but the reason I do it is to prevent mold and mildew growth in the ventillation system. Stinky AC systems are nasty and a hassle to clean and deodorize once they've gone mildewy.

I have same problem in climate where A/C is not used due to coldness, hence I think it might not be A/C reason for humidity. I solved my issues by keeping in car some dehumidifiers.

Back