EVSE Installation, Info and Cost Comparison Thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guess its clear at this point Nissan should not have put its eggs in one basket with aerovorment or whatever and had Leviton and some other comapnies to creat competition

plus a company used to dealing with the government is used to chgarging alot for jobs and taking their sweet time

anyone in touch with Nissan should be asking them to hook up with Leviton or others and create some competition.

Kevin

suresnoi said:
That's simply amazing how SO MUCH work and money spent in designing and manufacturing what seem to be a great EV vehicle can be tarnished by just a stupid charging dock that could have been a transportable, affordable and convenient cord from day 1. :?

How is Nissan not seeing that this is tarnishing the whole operation ?

If I were part of the car's R&D teams I would be so upset to see our hard work tarnished by some silly decisions.
So, whose decisions are you complaining about? If I understand correctly, Nissan is providing a transportable cord for 220v charging in Europe. Do you really think that they decided they wanted to discriminate against the US?

I believe Nissan was caught in a box created by US electrical standards. The one bad decision I see them as having made was their agreement with AeroVironment, and I'm sure they are seeing that as clearly as we are, and regretting it deeply.

this is ridiculous...

standard installation * 1,296.68
charging dock, wall mount 25' cable * 721.12
installation permit and processing * 94.50
shipping and delivery * 49.95

sales tax * US$172.98

total US$2,335.23

[/quote]
I believe Nissan was caught in a box created by US electrical standards. The one bad decision I see them as having made was their agreement with AeroVironment, and I'm sure they are seeing that as clearly as we are, and regretting it deeply.[/quote]

I think that this is correct. I believe that the NEC committee is of the opinion that the typical new EV owner needs to be protected from their own stupidity and we are all paying dearly for that.

I am persuaded that it would be better for all if the dealers were responsible to work out the method of charging with the customers after getting personally acquainted with those customers. This "one size fits all" procedure just can't work for everyone. It is sure to upset many and be unworkable for a few. Besides, this would be a good learning experience for both the dealer and the customers. Finally, the dealers are a lot more convenient to work with than some distant company we have never heard of before.

With the EV we are dealing with some like me who have been living with an EV for years. Others have never touched an EV. The needs are not the same. We live in a world where protecting the "you know what" is more important than being flexible to meet varying needs. There are more "newbies". Its no fun.

The Aerovironment fiasco is the only real black spot on Nissan's record so far with the Leaf. For a time, I considered just skipping the purchase of the Leaf altogether, because I was so disgusted. Now I have decided to just skip the assessment and go with another company (probably Leviton when they come out with their own charger).

standard installation 1,296.68

charging dock, wall mount 15' cable * 721.12

installation permit and processing 200.00

shipping and delivery 49.95

sales tax * US$70.31

total US$2,338.06

The electrician even marked my house as pre-wired for a car charger and this is what they came up with to hang it in my garage?? Looks like I will be going with another company, or just installing it myself!

Nissan used AV because of their previous market experience and they needed a company to assist in the initial roll out of the vehicles to insure a controlled process, this makes complete sense. The AV pricing is a result of a mismatch of a service offering with the wrong company but also one of necessity and this will likely change over time. To Nissan's defense they are in a tough position with the AV agreement but it will likely change as a result of the issues and also the simple fact that AV has likely found that this is not profitable for them and as market awareness increases this will become even more evident. The EVSE market will go through a radical change in the next 6-12 months and this will all be mute. I have done many product launches for a fortune 50 company and from what I have seen so far Nissan has done a good job considering the aggressive schedule. Granted the web experience could be improved quite a bit in some areas I also suspect this is partly due to a quick launch, learning a new process and the people doing their data management. Many companies do this over long periods of time fine tuning the process, Nissan gets points for even having a call center and insuring if not by accident, that buyers don't pay crazy prices. I'm happy to not being stuck fighting at dealers for excessive pricing like the Volt and having the opportunity to even buy an EV at a relatively reasonable cost.

garygid said:
Apparently, you MUST check "Custom", not "Standard" install to have a chance of getting a lower price.
Another reason to avoid AV. The guy comes out and gives an estimate. That sounds custom to me. Why does he not check the right box for a lower price?
I could have done a standard on the phone and saved the $100 sucker fee. My home is completely prewired specific for EV.
It even has a phone connector and ethernet connector 12" from the unit for communication and wifi if needed.

smkettner said:
garygid said:
Apparently, you MUST check "Custom", not "Standard" install to have a chance of getting a lower price.
Another reason to avoid AV. The guy comes out and gives an estimate. That sounds custom to me. Why does he not check the right box for a lower price?
I could have done a standard on the phone and saved the $100 sucker fee. My home is completely prewired specific for EV.
It even has a phone connector and ethernet connector 12" from the unit for communication and wifi if needed.

My thoughts exactly.

He is checking the "Standard" box because that is what he was "trained" (told) to do.

He is not doing the pricing and bidding, and gets nothing for his efforts.

For a "Standard" install, 1-inch or 30-feet, he gets a flat $500 (so a birdie told me), and even that ONLY IF AV actually gets the job.

He does not know what we do about the AV "bids" and the AV pricing.

If you want to waste your $100, that is up to you, and you can choose who to blame it on.

Here I am just trying to offer a suggestion that might help you.

So why would anyone use AV? Look up "electricians" in the yellow pages and get three quotes (for free), just like you would for any home improvement job. With the residential housing construction in the tank, these guys are looking for work.

companies are not yet selling evse direct to the public yet

even leviton wants the evse sold thru an electrician or one of their certified installers

we need em to just sell us outright and use our own electrician

kmp647 said:
companies are not yet selling evse direct to the public yet

even leviton wants the evse sold thru an electrician or one of their certified installers

we need em to just sell us outright and use our own electrician

Um, yes there ARE companies selling to the public. It's just that the public isn't buying them ... and for good reason. I know someone that has purchased their EVSE and has it up and running. Doesn't make sence? Read on and you'll understand.

palmermd said:
bgj said:
It took them from July 19 till September 17 to give me an outrageous estimate of $3155.29. I just filled out a survey that Nissan sent about this company’s service. Needless to say I said it was the worst possible experience I could have had and it cost me a $100 to be insulted.

I'm still waiting for my insult to arrive (since Aug 9). I'm already preparing to send my nasty response. For some reason, I keep getting this small thought in the back of my mind that they might send me a reasonable quote. Every time I see a response here like yours, I realize that it is not going to happen.

My assessment was the cookie cutter assessment. But maybe this will help. With a bit of patience, I got 3 quotes on the existing plugs that have already been U.L. approved. If you think the $700 AV is over priced (not even counting labor) consider $2,000 to $3,000 (not counting install/permits/breaker/etc). Yea yea yea, some day they'll cost less. But there's a reason we have 60 pages of whining here. No one else is selling for $100. NO one is going to for a while. When it happens, people won't have to keep whining because they'll simply get the $100 model. I say, let's suck it up ... move on ... and just be glad there's an ev on the horizon. Even so ... let me know if/when the $100 version ever gets here.

;)

I don't think people are sitting waiting for a $100 version but you can certainly go with AV and spend quite a bit of money or wait until the end of the year for other options. What units are you quoting? Sounds commercial.

Columb is sending out special offers to Leaf buyers for special discounts and installation. Not sure if this was posted.

Special Program for CA EV Buyers.

Get your networked home charging station installed before your new Nissan LEAF arrives.

Specially priced Coulomb Technologies’ ChargePoint networked home charging stations are available to order NOW.

The ChargePoint CT500 charging station:

is a 7.2 kW single output station
delivers Level II (208/240 V @ 30 A) charging
is compatible with all plug-in electric vehicles that comply with the SAE J1772™ plug-in electric vehicle-charging standard
Media coverage:
engadget
GreenBeat

Why buy a “networked” home charging station?
With your ChargePass™ card you can activate SMS and email alerts for:
Vehicle Fully Charged
Plug-Out Detection
Ground Fault Detection (GFCI Trip)
Over-Current Detection
Your ChargePass account will collect all Usage History for your home and public charging with:
Start and End times
Energy (kWh) used
Greenhouse Gases Saved
Occupied Time
*Future feature coming soon: through your ChargePass account you can schedule when you want your vehicle to begin charging, thereby ensuring you receive the best utility rates.

Two ways to order your ChargePoint Networked Charging Station.
ONE:

Contact an authorized Coulomb distributor.
Place an order for your ChargePoint Networked CT500 with special limited pricing that includes an at-home inspection and installation quote.
Schedule an at-home inspection and receive a written installation quote from the installer.
Place your order for installation and receive $100 off the cost of installation.
TWO:

Contact an authorized Coulomb distributor.
Place an order for a $100 at-home inspection (refundable with purchase of installation).
Schedule an at-home inspection and receive an onsite written quote containing your ChargePoint Networked CT500 and installation.
Place your product and installation order with the installer.
Act now. Limited time offer. Contact now for details and pricing.

To order your ChargePoint Networked Charging Station or schedule your home inspection, please contact:

Clean Fuel Connection, Inc.
1-888-890-GOEV and ask for Kristine
[email protected]

Coulomb Technologies is the leader in electric vehicle charging station infrastructure with networked charging stations installed in municipalities and organizations worldwide. Follow Coulomb on Twitter at twitter.com/coulombevi.

Unsubscribe.

There's that $100 home assessment ("inspection") again :roll: Sounds like an AV MO. Where's the price for the station ? Sorry ... not "buying" it :lol:

Back