Meeting with Nissan, Phoenix, Jan 8, 2013, 6pm, drinks prior

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
question:
what will a new battery cost to install and what is the credit for the old one?

that is all i want to know, really.
and looking at the PR tea leaves, it aint going to be a pretty number, or they wouldnt be holding it in reserve and issuing the warranty for degradation first.

the good news leads, the bad news trails.

hill said:
LEAFfan said:
A CHAdeMO quick charger may be available.
On the back of a diesel truck hauling a diesel generator? . . . or a real one. As for chademo - I hope someone has the cojones to ask why corporate Nissan located next to Irvine spectrum (one of the high tech capitols of the nation) doesn't have a QC. Talk about fail. OOpppps no ... don't talk about fail. don't wana hurt any feelings. I'm sure they have TONS of great reasons for NOT getting on the ball w/ QC in So. Cal. That's what really matters ... having tons of great reasons ...
;)

That's Tony's quote, not mine. Mine is that there will be one, not may be one.

TonyWilliams said:
Why don't we leave this thread for the actual event?

Also, it would be wise to post SPECIFIC questions you want answered. Naturally, not every question may get responded to, or it may be changed into a different question.

I'd like to see Phoenix area Nissan dealers involved, and of course, the Arizona LEAFers, past, present and future.

I hadn't thought of driving the Rav4. It's 373 miles door to door. I could leave Sunday and arrive in Yuma Sunday night, and leave Yuma early Monday to arrive Monday evening in Scottsdale:

120 miles - Imperial, CA (two hours 40 amp charging needed on RV Park NEMA 14-50)
60 miles - Yuma, AZ (overnight, full range charge on any charger)

180 miles - subtotal, 3 hours travel, 2 hours charging during dinner Imperial, 5 hours total time

120 miles - Gila Bend, AZ (three hours 40 amp charging needed on RV Park NEMA 14-50)
80 miles - 6850 E. Main Street, Scottsdale, AZ

200 miles - subtotal, 3.5 hours travel, 3 hours charging during lunch, 6.5 hours total time

TOTALS each way - 380 miles, 11 hours enroute, 5 hours enroute charging, 6.5 driving at 60mph average

Anyone with a Tesla Model S going? Can I be your passenger?

I, too would like to request that you ask a couple of questions that have been on my mind. I suspect that not all that many people bought a G.E. Wattstation, but I am one of those that did. Every time I call Nissan, I'm told "don't worry, it's under warranty if you have a problem" even though my QUESTION was: "when will a fix be available for my Leaf?" "Are you even working on it?" I bought the Wattstation because it complied with the most standards, and here I am stuck with an ($1,000, unsellable) EVSE that makes me worry every time I charge. I would like a straight answer from Nissan: When is a solution coming? Or are they just hoping I don't have a power fluctuation until the warranty expires?

The 2013 model will supposedly have an addition showing % SOC on the dashboard. Can this be made available as an upgrade for 2011 & 2012 owners? (Personally, I'd pay for it if the price wasn't unreasonable; but it really should not cost us anything to have good instrumentation)

So, if you have time, I'd love to hear answers to the less important but nagging questions on my mind (and maybe other people, too). I'd like to actually enjoy my Leaf instead of worrying as I charge and worrying how much charge I really have left as I drive. Thanks!

I've got a question for Nissan regarding usable capacity. At some point, there was a software update that reset the LBW threshold. The owners manual says that you should charge as soon as possible after LBW and 'preferably' EDIT OUT['definitely'] before no segments remain EDIT OUT [you hit VLBW]. So, the software update effectively reduced the available range of the car (that should be used). In our Phoenix test, RED 500 went over 10 miles past VLBW, and somewhere around 10-12 miles between LBW and VLBW. Those 20 miles to near-turtle improved the overall range of my car by 43% after the 3 lost bars. Is there anything that should be done (for other owners) to restore the range that they once had above LBW or should that part of the battery really rarely be used?

azdre said:
Is there anything that should be done (for other owners) to restore the range that they once had above LBW or should that part of the battery really rarely be used?
That's a really good point. There was more than one LEAF that behaved this way, and exhibited disproportional range loss above the low battery warning. If this type of behavior could not be changed easily, through a software update or a sensor replacement perhaps, could the requirement that an owner needs to charge as soon as hitting the low battery warrning be waived instead?

Haven't had a chance to read through this completely, but I'm seriously thinking about going. Is anyone else flying in? Any airport shuttle service available? ;)

Anyone else who's flying in... maybe we can coordinate how to get to the meeting (shuttle, taxi, etc).

Unfortunately, it is bad timing for me as I'll be working at the CES convention in Vegas then... Otherwise, I'd have been flying in and could have carried a couple of extra passengers..
I'll be interested to hear the reports from those that attend.

JeremyW said:
Haven't had a chance to read through this completely, but I'm seriously thinking about going. Is anyone else flying in? Any airport shuttle service available? ;)
Anyone else who's flying in... maybe we can coordinate how to get to the meeting (shuttle, taxi, etc).

JeremyW said:

I would imagine Phil is flying in from OAK. I will either drive, or fly commercial or private. If there's interest in SoCal, I wll fly into Scottsdale SDL airport and "share expenses" for the trip. Departure from San Diego MYF airport, which is easy LEAF distance from LA and OC with the QC in south Orange County. We can leave your LEAF charging here while we are in Scottsdale.

It's 267 nautical miles, or about 2 hours enroute.

Sadly, looking at flight prices has given me cold feet. I thought I had enough frequent flyer miles, but it turns out I only have enough to get there and I'd have to buy the "miles" to make the return trip. It would cost me a good chunk of change to go out there, since one week notice when it comes to plane tickets is fairly expensive.

From the other threads, I don't doubt my questions about the batteries and the future of the Leaf will be asked. :)

I do ask that someone bring up if there are any plans in place for the second life for spent packs/modules. So far, the answer seems to be no.

palmermd said:
surfingslovak said:
I think the earliest flight from OAK or SFO arrives around 9 am on Jan 8.

Leaf rental at the airport in AZ?
I'd be up for it, I would have to go with Hertz. The only concern is that we might miss the first hour of the event.

Hi all,

First, thank you so much for submitting questions! I'll update the draft list I posted on the warranty thread this afternoon and add here too. Some of the questions will probably end up as "homework" for either the Tony/Phil battery task force or the regular advisory group, but I will make sure any question submitted this week gets sent to Nissan before next Tuesday's event.

Second, a quick poll- Nissan is looking at travel schedules and such to see if it might be possible to move the meeting to the evening of Tues 8th (prob in the 6-8ish window) if it would be helpful for more people to attend. If it doesn't make a positive impact we won't move it, so please chime in if it matters to you.

Next, a couple quick answers- no, no cost to cover refreshments, etc. Seats are not limited, though it would be helpful to get some sense of how many folks to expect. So while RSVPs are not required and all are welcome, I'd be grateful to anyone that does let us know they're planning on coming. I'd set up a quick general email for the advisory board: LEAFadvisors at gmail dot com, which you're welcome to use for that purpose as well as to submit any questions or topics (for this meeting or the general group) that haven't been submitted here.

Last but definitely not least, a reminder that a 2013 LEAF will also be on display for those interested in seeing it. It's not the main topic, of course, but Tim and Jeff thought you guys might like to check it out before the official events at the Detroit Auto Show. I'm told it'll be a pretty red, fully loaded SL...

Looking forward to seeing some of you there!

chelsea

Most worrisome are the posts about the 12V battery causing driveability issues. Is there a way for Nissan to monitor that or to display 12v battery voltage and charging state in Carwings. Also - how do we know the solar panel is working or keeping the 12v battery properly trickle charged.

Back