Battery Aging Model

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ronwright38 said:
I have 14,000 Miles and I lost one Bar and the miles when charged is any way from 88 mile to 95 mile and when I drive for 5 or 6 miles it drops to 80 , then after 25 miles it drops to 55 miles and some time i just make back home to charge it . what can be done to get the battery pack fixed as when I picked up the car it was in the showroom for 6 months as a demo and think that's why the batteries did not hold the charge and i live in Arizona . ;)

First, we don't care what range is displayed in the dash. Unfortunately, it is grossly inaccurate.

Second, losing one capacity bar is 15% loss in capapcity. The official battery capacity value, per the Nissan service manual for LEAF is as follows. It's important to note that Nissan removed all reference to this data in the April 2011 update of the service manual.

12 of 12 bars - 100% to 85%
11 of 12 bars - 84.99% to 78.75%
10 of 12 bars - 78.74% to 72.50%
9 of 12 bars - 72.49% to 66.25%
8 of 12 bars - 60% to 66.24%

Third, the new warranty will only apply if you have lost 4 bars (leaving 8 illuminated). You have a long way to go.

In other words, everything is Nissan Normal(TM).

In the light of the recent announcement, I had a closer look at the current version of the battery aging model on the Wiki over the holidays. Given the fact that Nissan has decided to warranty 70% of original capacity for 5 years and 60K miles, I found it nothing short of surprising that the table Stoaty has compiled predicted this type of outcome several months ago. It's also an interesting coincidence that Stoaty selected the same EOL criteria (70%), and the same average annual mileage (12.5K). Although the model is an approximation, and a synthesis of several best guesses, the number of years needed to reach EOL seems to match the proposed warranty length very well. Kudos, I'm impressed!

agingmnl

Click to open

surfingslovak said:
In the light of the recent announcement, I had a closer look at the current version of the battery aging model on the Wiki over the holidays. Given the fact that Nissan has decided to warranty 70% of original capacity for 5 years and 60K miles, I found it nothing short of surprising that the table Stoaty has compiled on the Wiki several months ago predicts this type of outcome. It's also an interesting coincidence that Stoaty selected the same EOL criteria (70%), and the same average annual mileage (12.5K). Although the model is an approximation, and a synthesis of several best guesses, the number of years needed to reach EOL seems to match the proposed warranty length. Kudos, I'm impressed!
Do you think Nissan might have cheated and just used the Battery Aging Model to set their warranty cutoff points, or did I just luck out with my assumptions and calculations? ;)

If the model is correct, they might have to replace up to half of the battery packs in a few select (and relatively small) markets like Phoenix. Most areas of the country won't get close to to the 70%, so they will probably be pretty safe overall.

Stoaty said:
Do you think Nissan might have cheated and just used the Battery Aging Model to set their warranty cutoff points, or did I just luck out with my assumptions and calculations? ;)
Ha, who knows! ;-) What I do know that they read here prodigiously, which I believe is a good thing.

Stoaty said:
If the model is correct, they might have to replace up to half of the battery packs in a few select (and relatively small) markets like Phoenix. Most areas of the country won't get close to to the 70%, so they will probably be pretty safe overall.
Well, if the model predicts the median value, then the announced warranty would indeed be not very favorable to Nissan. I have to assume that they selected the best possible warranty metrics and thresholds, while minimizing the number of expected claims. We probably agree that this should be expected from any warranty. Although, given the change of attitude, and the number of goodwill gestures, I wouldn't be surprised if they decided to pursue a more generous arrangement in this particular instance. Batteries will only get better, and there is no doubt in my mind that they are already working on the next iteration or two of their core technology. Given the number of vehicles that will be sold in markets such as Phoenix in the meantime, and the number of miles driven there on average, this could still be an economically sensible arrangement.

this chart showing a significant percentage in certain areas needing warranty replacements should be more than enough evidence that Nissan has addressed this exact issue in the 2013 model resulting in the hints provided during Palmer's warranty statement.

there is no way a company could continue to put out product that is "scheduled" to fail. The retro active warranty is more a "thank you for your patience" (of which we had waaay too much) more than any admittance of wrong doing.

i still think the timing of the announcement along with the timing of the battery plant and suspected extra batteries now available all points to a major development that is American specific since there is no where in the primarily marine climate controlled Japan where heat is a major issue.

DaveinOlyWA said:
this chart showing a significant percentage in certain areas needing warranty replacements should be more than enough evidence that Nissan has addressed this exact issue in the 2013 model resulting in the hints provided during Palmer's warranty statement.
Let me restate what I said above: the model does not predict a median outcome for a population of vehicles, it predicts individual outcomes. You would have to take a representative sample from Phoenix, apply the model to each car, come up with a projection, and see what the result is expected to be at the end of the five year period. Then you look at the distribution of these individual outcomes, and determine the median.

To be clear, I think Stoaty needs to be commended on the model, especially since there were many diverging views and opinions. While we cannot expect this approximation to be super accurate, I believe the warranty announcement and its terms indicate that this model is at least in the right ballpark. I would be more worried if it showed that a LEAF in Phoenix will be down 30% after 30K miles and 1 1/2 years, which I believe is what happened to Scott Yarosh. If this was the expected outcome, then I agree, that this warranty is not possible without some major product changes.

DaveinOlyWA said:
there is no way a company could continue to put out product that is "scheduled" to fail. The retro active warranty is more a "thank you for your patience" (of which we had waaay too much) more than any admittance of wrong doing.
I'd curious to know what you are basing this on. Do you think that there will be a change of chemistry or a TMS in the US 2013 model?

surfingslovak said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
I'd curious to know what you are basing this on. Do you think that there will be a change of chemistry or a TMS in the US 2013 model?

yes

well maybe not a TMS per se but a significant change to the BMS overall that will address the heat issue.

now its not like we were not told several months ago

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1079191_nissan-leaf-to-get-better-battery-no-news-on-capacity-loss" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

we already know there is a configuration change in the JPN version which is a country with minimal heat issues that we have so it would make sense to apply other changes to the pack as well since there was already a redesign in place anyway.

since i still fully believe that TMS was part of the original LEAF plan that was removed due to cost, the normal development cycle for such a major change i believe to be doable within the few months they have had time to react.

now, its all speculation and i fully admit to being an optimist and nothing will ever change that and maybe i am deluding myself but as much as Nissan has been maligned here and elsewhere, i am still grateful for what they have done because its now 17 days short of two full years and there is still nothing out there that is a better fit for my transportation needs and my budget...nothing even close.

did i compromise to make it "fit better?" oh ya!! i did but its nothing more than any other thing I have done in my life since life for most of us is a series of compromises. we give a little to get a little. my compromise to make the LEAF work imm has been minimal.

Nissan still has the advantage in the EV game and I think they want to keep it

DaveinOlyWA said:
surfingslovak said:
yes

well maybe not a TMS per se but a significant change to the BMS overall that will address the heat issue.
While there is a number of things Nissan could do to improve instrumentation and other things in the car, I think it's doubtful that there is much they can do in such a short period of time.

surfingslovak said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
surfingslovak said:
yes

While there is a number of things Nissan could do to improve instrumentation and other things in the car, I think it's doubtful that there is much they can do in such a short period of time.

i edited my post because had to look for a link but i think it not wise to think that Nissan just started working on the problem when we brought it to their attention. despite what they have claimed, I fully believe they knew about the issues way in advance and had been working on a solution for a long time

DaveinOlyWA said:
i edited my post because had to look for a link but i think it not wise to think that Nissan just started working on the problem when we brought it to their attention. despite what they have claimed, I fully believe they knew about the issues way in advance and had been working on a solution for a long time
Right, I suppose that's possible, and they have proven to be working very diligently, albeit quietly. That said, I choose not to believe in this theory. I hope you don't mind. I took enough flak for trying to raise awareness last May, and even more so in the subsequent months. Although the right hand might not know what the left hand is doing when it comes to large corporations, I have to think that there was at least one element of surprise in the mix. It might not have necessarily been battery performance though.

I had a look at the GCR article you referenced above, and I believe that Ghosn was referring to the Mk2 battery there. He specifically mentioned lower manufacturing costs, and the MK2 battery and its modified packaging would fit the bill.

Carlos Ghosn said:
There is a second generation of battery coming (online) now...which is less costly than the previous one, we are in a race in which you reduce the costs and adapt the price.

surfingslovak said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
Right, I suppose that's possible, and they have proven to be working very diligently, albeit quietly. That said, I choose not to believe in this theory. I hope you don't mind. I took enough flak for trying to raise awareness last May, and even more so in the subsequent months. Although the right hand might not know what the left hand is doing when it comes to large corporations, I have to think that there was at least one element of surprise in the mix. It might not have necessarily been battery performance though.

I had a look at the GCR article you referenced above, and I believe that Ghosn was referring to the Mk2 battery there. He specifically mentioned lower manufacturing costs, and the MK2 battery and its modified packaging would fit the bill.

Carlos Ghosn said:
There is a second generation of battery coming (online) now...which is less costly than the previous one, we are in a race in which you reduce the costs and adapt the price.

oh i dont mind if you disagree. disagreement and different POVs are is the value of this forum. there has been many times i thought for sure I and others were right only to be proven wrong.

in fact, for a lot of things, i want to be proven wrong. it only helps me. Only a fool would be upset when others pointed out their mistakes.

either way, it is only a few weeks away now.

Stoaty said:

It would surprise me not. They may not have used your model as is. But since they have much more complete data than we do, they may have used the models method and approach to the problem to arrive at a reasonable cut-off point.

Can you tell me why i did not get to the turtle mode when i was 3 blocks to go to get home??
my leaf was sitting in the dealer showroom for 6 months and i did not know about the 12 bar's
i am sure that i did not have them as when i charged the car only showed 102 or 103 Miles and
it used to get about the 72 or so mile after driving 10 or 15 mile at 48 MPH when new then it is gitting worse . I think the battery show get a good check as it was checked and the report show 5 Stars and now i only get 55 miles after a full charge , it starts out at 88 miles and drops after 3 miles to 70 MPH
and keep's going Down going at the speed of 48 MPH. What has to happen to get the weak or bad cell or cell's replaced. If I have to wait till the bar's get to 9 to have them fixed what will the miles that i can go?? :|

ronwright38 said:
Can you tell me why i did not get to the turtle mode when i was 3 blocks to go to get home??
my leaf was sitting in the dealer showroom for 6 months and i did not know about the 12 bar's
i and sure that i did not have them as when i charged the car only showed 102 or 103 Miles and
it used to get about the 72 or so mile after driving 10 or 15 mile at 48 MPH when new then it is gitting worse . I think the battery show get a good check as it was checked and the report show 5 Stars and now i only get 55 miles after a full charge , it starts out at 88 miles and drops after 3 miles to 70 MPH
and keep's going Down going at the speed of 48 MPH. What has to happen to get the weak or bad cell or cell's replaced. If I have to wait till the bar's get to 9 to have them fixed what will the miles that i can go?? :|

You are referring to the dash instrument that we call the Guess-O-Meter. Please use another method to determine how much range you may have. I recommend the Range Chart that is linked in my signature line.

Would it be possible to calculate the relative aging factor for the following location: St. George, UT 84770. It would be much appreciated.

agingmnl
ivinsut

ronwright38 said:
i am sure that i did not have them as when i charged the car only showed 102 or 103 Miles and

you need to update your profile and add a location. it is critical in these kinds of battery situations.

at least update your profile or explain to me how your car was sitting in a showroom 2 months before the first American delivery

surfingslovak said:
Would it be possible to calculate the relative aging factor for the following location: St. George, UT 84770. It would be much appreciated.
I'll try to get to it in the next day or two.

TonyWilliams said:
ronwright38 said:
i and sure that i did not have them as when i charged the car only showed 102 or 103 Miles and
I only use the trip meter and add the guess meter to get the 55 miles

You are referring to the dash instrument that we call the Guess-O-Meter. Please use another method to determine how much range you may have. I recommend the Range Chart that is linked in my signature line.

DaveinOlyWA said:
ronwright38 said:
My car was sitting in the Showroom for 6 months as it was a demo for people to see before ordering the car as they did not have a supply. I live in Arizona and when it was 110 it got better mileage with the air on ,Does the heater takes more?

you need to update your profile and add a location. it is critical in these kinds of battery situations.

at least update your profile or explain to me how your car was sitting in a showroom 2 months before the first American delivery

Back