All EV Rally, BC2BC-2013, 1500 miles from Canada to Mexico

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BIGneutrino said:
Tony,

I hope the momentum for this rally is still going.

Also, if anybody is looking at shipping their vehicle from SoCal back to the Seattle area after the rally, please PM me. Perhaps something can be coordinated to get the best possible price on the transportation of our EVs.

Interesting concept. One truck to haul numerous cars.

I'm not too concerned with a big turn out; I'm going to do it for fun.

Here are some possibilities for check points along the route:

The LeMay Car Museum is in Tacoma, WA (approx. 32 miles south of Seattle)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/America's_Car_Museum

OMSI--The Oregon Museum of Science and Industry (located in downtown Portland)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oregon_Museum_of_Science_and_Industry

The Evergreen Aviation & Space Museum in McMinnville, OR (approx. 40 miles south of Portland)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evergreen_Aviation_&_Space_Museum
This could be a great location for a check point, as drivers would have a plethora of charging (Level 2 and 3) scattered between Portland and McMinnville.

The ScienceWorks Museum in Ashland, OR (approx. 24 miles north of the Oregon/California border)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ScienceWorks_Museum_(Ashland)
With the likely bottleneck of folks waiting to charge at the DCQC in Ashland, this may help pass the time.

Obviously, this is a narrow approach to looking at possible check point locations. It gives us a start, though, and hopefully more auto-specific events start to show up on calendars in the coming months.

BIGneutrino said:
Here are some possibilities for check points along the route:
(various locations along I-5)

I know this is being organized by LEAF drivers and I'm not entirely opposed to these suggestions for rally checkpoints, but I wonder if other EV drivers would prefer to avoid I-5 and instead take 101 at Grant's Pass; If they're relying on RV hookups then it might be preferable to fully-booked campgrounds along the Interstate. These are mandatory checkpoints for the purpose of this rally, yes?

leec said:
These are mandatory checkpoints for the purpose of this rally, yes?

This is for all EV's, including LEAF's. I drove my car on the reverse of this trip last year. I'll probably drive the Toyota Rav4 this year. I'm confident that there will be some Tesla's also.

There will be mandatory checkpoints. Last year, I drove north up 101 through Crescent City and 199 to Grant's Pass, and the return southbound was down the 5.

Both have plenty of RV stations enroute, but 199/101 adds a bunch of miles to the route. Maybe we should make that split at Grant's Pass optional, coast or central valley route. This will be the most brutal part of driving a 3.3kW LEAF for the whole trip. You'll want a drink when you get here:

Chateau Montelena Winery
1429 Tubbs Lane
Calistoga, CA 94515

From Grant's Pass:

351 miles - Interstate 5 / CA-20 / CA-53 / CA-29

385 miles - US-199 / US-101 / CA-128

418 miles - US-199 / CA-96 / CA-299 / US-101 / CA-128

From the winery, it's just a short jaunt over the hills to the DC charger at Nissan of Santa Rosa, CA, then on to the SF Bay Area.

Last trip over the Grapevine, I was glad the Leaf stayed home, because I didn't see any chargers from Castaic to Bakersfield, and the grade there is brutal. Please tell me I'm wrong, because that is a real deal breaker for my Leaf, and our Tesla is, wait, I'm the poor guy here, the Leaf is my nice car.

SSS said:
Last trip over the Grapevine, I was glad the Leaf stayed home, because I didn't see any chargers from Castaic to Bakersfield, and the grade there is brutal. Please tell me I'm wrong, because that is a real deal breaker for my Leaf, and our Tesla is, wait, I'm the poor guy here, the Leaf is my nice car.

If you're considering this rally, I absolutely DO NOT recommend only considering actual J1772 pre-installed charging stations. Any source of electricity will be your friend, and that will typically be RV Parks with a 16 amp EVSE (for a LEAF) and a NEMA 14-50 plug. Obviously, 2013 LEAFs with 30 amp chargers will want a 30 amp EVSE in the car (I'll bet those round wall mount AV units are the cheapest way to go here). I will be carrying my OpenEVSE to pull 40 amps in the Rav4, and every Model S will have a 40 amp portable EVSE.

I probably carry 20 different plug connections with me. Planning will be the key to your success.

$1099 from AeroVironment:

http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/10/15/aerovironment-e-v-charger-goes-portable/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AV-portable-station-550x325.jpg

Tesla UMC for 40 amp charging. You could remove the Roadster connector from this and install a J1772 nozzle for up to 40 amp charging:

http://shop.teslamotors.com/collections/charging/products/universal-mobile-connector-available-october-2009" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

universal_large.jpg

chart-2_grande.jpg

SSS said:

PlugShare shows DCQC (x5?!?) at the junction of I-5 and 99 (29 miles south of Bakersfield).

BIGneutrino said:
SSS said:

PlugShare shows DCQC (x5?!?) at the junction of I-5 and 99 (29 miles south of Bakersfield).

Those are Tesla Model S/X.

My previous long trip (150 miles) was to the El Segundo Plug-In Sunday. I was the guy in the black wheelchair-(my decades old EV). Maybe it's naïveté, perhaps old age, but I've been an avid EV reader over the past 4 years, and carrying all these adapters has missed my in box. Oh sure, I bought Phil's adapter for my EVSEupgrade, but where do I find these others? Are there specific brands, or is this a DIY job that is just assumed knowledge?
These connections in order to make such a trip are new to me, but vital to know to guys like me who plan on EVs for the long run. I imagine some other Leafers may need the same info.

SSS said:
My previous long trip (150 miles) was to the El Segundo Plug-In Sunday. I was the guy in the black wheelchair-(my decades old EV). Maybe it's naïveté, perhaps old age, but I've been an avid EV reader over the past 4 years, and carrying all these adapters has missed my in box. Oh sure, I bought Phil's adapter for my EVSEupgrade, but where do I find these others? Are there specific brands, or is this a DIY job that is just assumed knowledge?
These connections in order to make such a trip are new to me, but vital to know to guys like me who plan on EVs for the long run. I imagine some other Leafers may need the same info.
For adapters, look here:http://www.evseadapters.com/

Bill

ebill3 said:
SSS said:
For adapters, look here:http://www.evseadapters.com/

Bill

I had no idea these adapters were available...or needed. Just thinking of a bunch of EVs scattering around Northern California on the rally looking for atypical charging opportunities is cracking me up!

I propose that the drivers along this rally coordinate use of chargers by a group in the Waze application and/or the Twitter account BC2BCbyEV

The Waze group can only be joined in Seattle where it was created, but can be used anywhere with cellular data service thereafter. Twitter can be accessed and updated by SMS as a fallback method.

Besides this, there should be a staggered start where vehicles should be spread out based on average speed and charger type (having all the Tesla's, LEAFs, or MiEVs leave simultaneously is a recipe for conflict at the next compatible charger).

Contention at RV parks and campgrounds is slightly less of a concern, but perhaps we could negotiate a group rate allowing use for a day by all drivers on the rally.

It's hardly a BC2BC rally if we don't start in Vancouver. I've set that as the starting point on this event listing and at least one of us will begin from that point. I'll get in contact with the Vancouver EVA to coordinate their involvement.

I've taken the liberty of reserving Peace Arch Park in Blaine, Washington. This way, it will be easy for Canadians to come for the send off as they won't technically have to cross the border. There's also a kitchen and indoor seating for 100 people, so any crowd that gathers will have a space to prepare food. There's 200 parking spots in the adjacent lot but you need a $10 day pass to park there (it's the Discovery Pass, which is good for either of two vehicles if you've the $30 yearly version).

They have 50 amp electrical service, too.

leec said:
I've taken the liberty of reserving Peace Arch Park in Blaine, Washington. This way, it will be easy for Canadians to come for the send off as they won't technically have to cross the border. There's also a kitchen and indoor seating for 100 people, so any crowd that gathers will have a space to prepare food. There's 200 parking spots in the adjacent lot but you need a $10 day pass to park there (it's the Discovery Pass, which is good for either of two vehicles if you've the $30 yearly version).

They have 50 amp electrical service, too.

Awesome work and planning. We don't have a handy Peace Arch in San Diego.

How many 50 amp outlets (presumably with 14-50 RV plugs?)?

What plug adapter does one need to build in order to use
Tesla charging stations to charge a LEAF?

Are there two kinds of Tesla charging stations, one AC
and one DC, or are they all higher power AC?

garygid said:
What plug adapter does one need to build in order to use
Tesla charging stations to charge a LEAF?

Are there two kinds of Tesla charging stations, one AC
and one DC, or are they all higher power AC?

Well, there are two different plugs. The Supercharger station plugs are DC quasi SAE Frankenplug communication connectors, and not suitable for a LEAF. Plus, even if you could make it work, I believe it is outright theft to use them for anything other than a Tesla Model S/X, as Tesla outright owns these stations and never intended or offered them for other cars to use. They have no way to collect money at the sites either.

The Clipper Creek units that are out there are for the Roadster. Those are not associated with Tesla at all, and are essentially "public" use. Having said that, expect a full hissy fit if a Roadster driver pulls in for his (free) charge and finds a lowly LEAF blocking "his" spot. Also, Tesla is selling (currently back ordered) a Roadster charging station to Model S adapters to complement their J1772 adaptors. Therefore, you can expect to see Model S or X drivers fighting for those spots, too, at least until the Supercharger network is built out.

For an adaptor for J1772 equipped cars like the LEAF, you need the Tesla Roadster inlet to a J1772 nozzle. Or, you could use the new (but currently back ordered) Roadster to Model S/X adaptor, then cut off the Roadster part and attach it to a J1772 nozzle.

About $600-$800.

Here's some information that Roadster owner Tom Saxton provided concerning a Roadster inlet:

"Here are the part Tesla part numbers I have, with prices from February, 2011."

6000523 : $817 (for the 2008 model)
6003434 : $725 (for the 2010 model)
6001535 : $1,193 (unsure which model)

The 2010 has a 7-foot cable with simple lugs at the end. The 2008 has a
2-foot cable that's terminated in an expensive Amphenol twist-lock connector.

Maybe somebody can identify the correct part from this long list? Or just call Amphenol and ask?

Amphenol ACA-B Series connectors

leec said:
TonyWilliams said:
How many 50 amp outlets (presumably with 14-50 RV plugs?)?

I'm expecting a callback on Saturday with those details. We'll get our money's worth from EV charging: it's 24.7 miles to the first quick charge but I imagine people will want to start off as close to 100% as possible to minimize pack heating.

Ok, awesome work, and a great find to launch. Sounds like a picnic brunch is in order there.

Also, not every car will be able to use CHAdeMO.

Back