Meeting with Nissan, Phoenix, Jan 8, 2013, 6pm, drinks prior

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hill said:
So .... they're still too tall. Back into the trunk, until rear passengers use em. Guess it's too complex to have the all too common completely collapsible ones used. (sigh) Maybe by 2020 ... I should live so long.
I'm under the impression that the rear headrests were significantly smaller, even though they are not collapsible, as you rightly noted.

any word from the Chels on last night?
or efforts to get Nissan to fill in our questionnaire.
I am particularly interested in their fudge on the battery price issue. is there a date yet?
my birthday is at the end of March...that would be a nice gift.

thankyouOB said:
I am particularly interested in their fudge on the battery price issue. is there a date yet?

Andy said sometime in the Spring, Mar./April.

thankyouOB said:
Andy vowed to provide a battery price by Spring, but no firm date was given.

Chelsea's compiled list of questions was completely skipped over and not brought up at all last night. There's no indication that Nissan would answer it outside of the meeting, either.

Nissan started out by making their statements in 3 main areas of concerns, then went straight to taking the audience's questions.

Herm said:
The 6.6kW charger is optional on the stripped model, also a display is optional so you dont have to stare at that Ok question if you choose the stripped model
Actually, the charger is 6.0kW output. I was surprised at this, as the output of the old one was 3.3kW, so they've actually only added 2.7kW instead of doubling it.

-Phil

LEAFfan said:
thankyouOB said:

Translation: The price is so high right now that you'd laugh at us if we told you...

Ingineer said:
Herm said:
The 6.6kW charger is optional on the stripped model, also a display is optional so you dont have to stare at that Ok question if you choose the stripped model
Actually, the charger is 6.0kW output. I was surprised at this, as the output of the old one was 3.3kW, so they've actually only added 2.7kW instead of doubling it.

-Phil

Yep, that's listed in the 2013 spec chart that someone posted. Nissan has a7 hour charging time for the 3.3 and 4 hours for the 6.6/6.0.

Randy said:
LEAFfan said:
thankyouOB said:

Translation: The price is so high right now that you'd laugh at us if we told you...

what did Andy actually say:
"sometime in spring"
or
"sometime in spring, march/april"

spring runs until June 20th. and I got the impression that Andy didnt mention a month.
i could be wrong about that.

thankyouOB said:
Randy said:
LEAFfan said:

what did Andy actually say:
"sometime in spring"
or
"sometime in spring, march/april"

spring runs until June 20th. and I got the impression that Andy didnt mention a month.
i could be wrong about that.

When Andy was asked for a date, he said Spring. Then someone asked when in Spring, and he said Mar./Apr.

LEAFfan said:
Yep, that's listed in the 2013 spec chart that someone posted. Nissan has a7 hour charging time for the 3.3 and 4 hours for the 6.6/6.0.

I've always wondered why they quote long charge times, i.e. worst case scenario. I have gone from below LBW to 100% in about 4 hours at L2, no where near the 7 hours they typically quote.

However they are happy to advertise 100 mile range (best case scenario) when talking range, which I have never been able to achieve even when new.

Nissan's glass half full stance for range and glass half empty stance for charging has always puzzled me. Both are factors potential purchasers ask about the LEAF in my experience.

So if they are quoting 4 hours for a 6.0kWh charger we can expect typical LBW to full charge times of 2 1/2 hours in practice?

JPWhite said:
LEAFfan said:
VK6iSY

Did he say which year? :cry:
It will be undoubtedly in this century though.

One thing Andy mentioned a few times at the meeting about the accuracy of the capacity bars is that they took the approach to give a more pessimistic report on the capacity bars instead of a more optimistic report, meaning that they would under report. For example, if the capacity bar shows 10 bars left, according to Andy, the actual remaining capacity may be more a little more than the 10 bars displayed.

He said that as they try to improve the accuracy of the capacity bar reading in the future through software, they will try to reduce the gap between the true capacity and what's shown in the read out, but they'll still be on the negative side (under report).

Volusiano said:
... He said that as they try to improve the accuracy of the capacity bar reading in the future through software, they will try to reduce the gap between the true capacity and what's shown in the read out, but they'll still be on the negative side (under report).
In other words, they're going to keep tweaking the bars so that they hide more degradation? Makes me wonder how low they think 9 bars is supposed to be.

hill said:
TickTock said:
Also, rear headrests are about 1" shorter.
So .... they're still too tall. Back into the trunk, until rear passengers use em. Guess it's too complex to have the all too common completely collapsible ones used. (sigh) Maybe by 2020 ... I should live so long.

Apparently it's a USA regulatory issue.

JPWhite said:
LEAFfan said:

I've always wondered why they quote long charge times, i.e. worst case scenario. I have gone from below LBW to 100% in about 4 hours at L2, no where near the 7 hours they typically quote....

So if they are quoting 4 hours for a 6.0kWh charger we can expect typical LBW to full charge times of 2 1/2 hours in practice?

I've used 7 hours to charge the LEAF using the 3.3kW/3.8kW charger. If you're only using 4 hours, that's because you still had plenty of energy left in the battery.

The same is true of 4 hour charges with the new 6.0/6.6kW charger.

Got all my Pix uploaded:

pic

The "Engine" Bay

pic

Reversing valve assembly (for heat pump)

pic

Heat Pump Compressor

pic

Charge Ports with Camera built in to door

pic

Detail of J1772 Locking mechanism

pic

Cameras in side mirrors

pic

Bose Subwoofer in trunk

pic

Multi-Cam view can be activated any time by button on head unit

pic

When you turn off the Leaf it now shows the status of the J1772 Lock

pic

New Climate control unit. Can independently enable heat/AC and select different temps. Heat pump was only drawing 1.5kW on full heat with doors open!

pic

Unfortunately no improvement to the charge timers, same clunky stuff

pic

ECO mode now selects from steering wheel! Double-selecting drive enables high-regen "B" mode. You can have B and Eco on together.

pic

Now there is an extra charge time prediction!

pic

New SoC gauge can be selected! It read 60% when the actual SoC was 62.25%.

pic

Now there's a forced 80% mode, so no timer use needed, and you can set the remote climate temp!

pic

It can be set from 60-90 degrees!

pic

Standard Toyota-Style foot operated parking/emergency brake. There is a little cubby in the console now for change where the brake switch was.

pic

Bose "Energy Efficient" Speakers! Sounded better then Gen1 stock, that's for sure. XM sounded even worse through them!

pic

Michelin Energy 17" LRR

pic

This Leaf's fate is likely the crusher. It was a production test car with several issues I found, so Nissan is still working out the kinks in Smyrna.

pic

LEAFSCAN™ works the same!

pic

Charge port light comes on when door is first popped

pic

You can choose when the J1772 connector is locked by the 3-position dash switch

pic

Now there's a built-in Google place search. (Didn't work on this car because there was no CarWings activation)

pic

Extra button on remote and button on dash to "pop" charge door!

pic

New Overhead console with LED map lights

-Phil

Great photos with descriptions. Thank you so much, Phil. I guess I don't need to go to San Francisco Saturday to see it. You photos save me a trip.

Thanks for posting the picture Phil! I'm super jealous of all those features, but I'm still happy with having a 2011 model. (was one of the first 40 available to Canadian public)

Back