Official Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV SUV thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mxp said:
Just wondering if anyone else here find the position of the charging port in the rear quarter panel to be problematic.

I don't understand why the vehicle designers had to pick the rear quarter panel. The MiEV has it in the same location.... :-(

Agreed that is an issue. I've seen some PiP's at work, which also have their port in the rear quarter, have to back into charging spaces to get the cord to reach. Many EVSE have 18' cords which barely reach the back. My Volt has also been a bit an issue at times as well, with its front left location, when I've had to park in the left spot of a public charger. A couple times I've had to stretch the cord over my hood. I definitely have to give Nissan credit for their location on the Leaf right front and center.

Still, this would only be a minor issue for me with the Outlander.

If I may quote from the movie Napoleon Dynamite :lol: -"I want that." Too bad I just bought a 2013 Ford Escape.

JouleThief said:
mxp said:
Just wondering if anyone else here find the position of the charging port in the rear quarter panel to be problematic.

I don't understand why the vehicle designers had to pick the rear quarter panel. The MiEV has it in the same location.... :-(

Having the PiP charging port on the right rear panel has worked out great for us. The LEAF takes the right parking position in the driveway, the PiP takes the left. We park the cars in a slightly off set manner so that the cable can be drawn from the Blink on the back of the house across in front of the LEAF and into the port of the PiP. No shifting around of cars required.

Rear port is a problem. For us even the side port would be a problem - since after putting cars, the space is tight. The side port would mean we can easily walk between the two cars or on the side (carrying stuff). Leaf's front charging port is truly out of the way, even though connecting it is somehwat cumbersome.

JouleThief said:
Mitsubishi said it will be released here in Jan 2014. I agree it would be nice if it came sooner, they claim it's due to the additional regulatory requirements here.

I don't think they're in the same position as the MiEV, however. There is no other comparable vehicle currently scheduled to intercept the market earlier. GM may be positioned to reveal a Voltec based SUV but given there haven't been any announcments to that effect it would seem unlikely they will have anything sooner than Mitsu
That is possible. I guess, currently only GM would be the competitor - unless Toyota suddenly announces a plugin Rav4 or Honda does that with CRV.

One thing that happened last time was the unexpected Leaf announcement that derailed Mitsu plans for i.

FYI, Mitsubishi Motors North America headquarters on Katella in Cypress had a 2014 Outlander GT in their parking lot this morning! I grabbed a couple of shots as I was L3 charging. Pictures in this post. Anybody want to stop by during business hours and see if they can talk someone into a test drive? Pretty please? And bring a tape measure to get (and post!) the interior head- & legroom... :D

evnow said:
BTW, Statik thinks the price will be well north of 40k. If so, a lot of us will be disappointed.
Who is "Statik" and what is "well north of 40k"? So far it's all just speculations. According to this article they are planning to target in below Volt pricing in Australia (which is 59k)

http://www.caradvice.com.au/204550/mitsubishi-outlander-phev-50k-price-tag-tipped-for-plug-in-suv/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Right now our utility vehicle is an older Element with very few miles on it, which is perfect for our needs other than being a pure ICE and that they aren't being made any more - as an eventual replacement I'd be content with 30 or so mpg in gas mode from something like this if it really has 25 miles of electric range but more importantly really has enough room in the back. It's going to be hard to beat the Element's flexible capacity for bikes placed upright, surfboard, trash cans, dogs, and other random cargo - even sleeping. What I really want is the drivetrain scheme of something like this in the Element form factor. Maybe by the time we're ready Honda or someone else will move back into that space but perhaps it's too limited in appeal. I think the Element died off because everyone who needed one got one, and we don't sell them to get new ones, since they are pretty solid.

IBELEAF said:
evnow said:
BTW, Statik thinks the price will be well north of 40k. If so, a lot of us will be disappointed.
Who is "Statik" and what is "well north of 40k"? So far it's all just speculations. According to this article they are planning to target in below Volt pricing in Australia (which is 59k)

http://www.caradvice.com.au/204550/mitsubishi-outlander-phev-50k-price-tag-tipped-for-plug-in-suv/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Statik a.k.a. Jay Cole (from the old gm-volt days).

http://insideevs.com/nissan-prices-new-leaf-s-model-at-28800-puts-plug-in-competition-on-notice/#comments" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Even more ‘user-friendly’ vehicles like the Accord PHEV/Fusion Energi are going to seem very pricey at 40K…same for the upcoming Outlander PHEV (with 12 kWh of battery) that you know Mitsu wants to price well north of 40K as well.

Note that in Australia, Volt sells at a high premium compared to US.

wsbca said:
Right now our utility vehicle is an older Element with very few miles on it, which is perfect for our needs other than being a pure ICE and that they aren't being made any more - as an eventual replacement I'd be content with 30 or so mpg in gas mode from something like this if it really has 25 miles of electric range but more importantly really has enough room in the back. It's going to be hard to beat the Element's flexible capacity for bikes placed upright, surfboard, trash cans, dogs, and other random cargo - even sleeping. What I really want is the drivetrain scheme of something like this in the Element form factor. Maybe by the time we're ready Honda or someone else will move back into that space but perhaps it's too limited in appeal. I think the Element died off because everyone who needed one got one, and we don't sell them to get new ones, since they are pretty solid.
Yeah, if I'd have been able to wait a few months to replace my '88 Subie after it got stolen, I would have gone for an Element instead of the Forester (they had just introduced the Element, but there weren't any with manual transmissions or AWD available yet). Less need to worry about mucky cargo (I cross-country ski, scuba dive and ride bikes, need to sleep in it frequently etc.), good reliability and adequate if not exciting performance. I wish they had altered the gearing of the manuals as they did with the later automatics to give it a couple more mpg, but by then the Element was already on its way out and the number of manuals sold in this country was a tiny fraction of what were already small Element sales, so I assume Honda couldn't be bothered.

I did talk an ex-girlfriend into buying one for her home-staging business a few years later, but then she got married so I never got to borrow it. :lol:

The Element never really clicked with the market Honda was originally aiming at, 20-somethings who largely went for the 1st gen. Scion Xb (or as I referred to it, the box the Element came in). Instead, the Element seemed to sell largely to boomers who were perhaps looking for a modern version of the VW bus of their youth (whether they had one or not), i.e. not flashy but utilitarian as all get out and reliable as hell, with a working heater and air conditioning and without the rolling chicane aspect of the Bus. I was never too crazy about the Element's lack of a full-size spare (or room for one in the well) though, given some of the roads I've driven my Subies.

Consumer prices incl taxes in the Netherlands:

PHEV Intense+ € 43.490
PHEV Instyle € 48.990
PHEV Instyle+ € 51.990

Considering that prices are much higher in Netherlands on regular Outlander, US Outlander PHEV should be closer to 40k

IBELEAF said:
Considering that prices are much higher in Netherlands on regular Outlander, US Outlander PHEV should be closer to 40k
It is very difficult to translate prices from EU (or Japan) to US esp. once you include the taxes, which can be different for ICE & PHEV.

Today is the official release in Japan. And the European spec model is going to be presented at the Geneva Motor Show in Mar. So far pricing is looking very good in Europe and Australia.

PlugIn Cars is now predicting a price of $35k with the tax credits
http://www.plugincars.com/mitsubishi-recalls-i-miev-over-faulty-brakes-126217.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

North American sales of the Outlander PHEV are scheduled to begin in 2014, with a starting price estimated in the region of $35,000 (including Federal and state incentives).

Also, take a look at what the Mitsubishi Australian VP said regarding pricing at my latest post here
http://www.insideoutlander.com/posts/outlanderphevonsaletodayinjapan-europeanmodeldebutingatgeneva" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm still optimistic that US pricing will be below the Volt and that Statik's prediction is high. Don't get me wrong, I fully expect a loaded model will be in the high $40s, but the base model will be under $40k I believe (before any tax credits are applied).

JouleThief said:
PlugIn Cars is now predicting a price of $35k with the tax credits
http://www.plugincars.com/mitsubishi-recalls-i-miev-over-faulty-brakes-126217.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

North American sales of the Outlander PHEV are scheduled to begin in 2014, with a starting price estimated in the region of $35,000 (including Federal and state incentives).
What is the meaning of "including" ? Does that mean after tax credits ?

In that case including "state" credits is dubious - since that will vary from state to state. Assuming CA, we are looking at $9k (7.5+1.5) in tax credits. So, close to $45k would be the MSRP. That sounds close to what Statik has heard.

IBELEAF said:
$35k for a plugin suv = winner for mitsubishi

If it comes in at $35,000 after rebates and includes adaptive cruise control then I will sell/trade my 2013 Ford Escape (providing it is as comfortable and as much fun to drive). I just can't stand having a vehicle burning gas and money at every stoplight. I have become spoiled by my Leaf.

Back