Leafs in Japan

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ht2 said:
Thanks.
That will be very useful.

You're welcome. You might want to bring some money. I just ran down to the mini mart in the basement where I paid 105 yen for a banana. But it was very neatly wrapped in plastic and almost looked like it was worth nearly a buck and a half.

Clippy, guessing they were making 2012's ? Any Left hand drives?

did you say 1 out of 7 off the line is a Leaf? , down from 1 out of 5?

Meaning they have slowed production?

kmp647 said:
Clippy, guessing they were making 2012's ? Any Left hand drives?

did you say 1 out of 7 off the line is a Leaf? , down from 1 out of 5?

Meaning they have slowed production?

Couldn't tell if they were '11 or '12. The way the line is set up they can build LH or RH drive interchangeably. The dash assembly is performed by workers from a subcontactor right on the line (Hello, UAW). It's placed on an assembly robot and delivered to the assembly point for the worker to install using a purpose built machine. Still missing that little piece on the bumper, though. And that little bitty window glass on the A pillar is installed very early in the assembly process.

Yes, they have slowed production. I asked that question specifically. I wasn't about to ax why.

Inroom demitasse coffee ain't cutting it. Off to vie de france for some real stuff with the rest of the gaijin. Of which there are very, very few. I've been thanked more than once for just being here.

Clippy said:
Off to vie de france for some real stuff with the rest of the gaijin. Of which there are very, very few. I've been thanked more than once for just being here.

Good for you Clippy!

I would totally be there too if I a) had the spare cash and b) didn't already take my remaining vacation days just to keep things going on the home front. Damn this recession! :(

Clippy said:
ht2 said:
Thanks.
That will be very useful.

You're welcome. You might want to bring some money. I just ran down to the mini mart in the basement where I paid 105 yen for a banana. But it was very neatly wrapped in plastic and almost looked like it was worth nearly a buck and a half.

So I guess you missed $100 a each Musk Melon. :D
http://www.jnto.go.jp/eng/attractions/dining/food/jfood_11.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ht2 said:
So I guess you missed $100 a each Musk Melon. :D
http://www.jnto.go.jp/eng/attractions/dining/food/jfood_11.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The cantaloupe was $5-$10 USD, but the bright red cherries were $100, just for a box of 80.

It took a week of looking, but I finally found one in Shinjuku, doing exactly what mine does most of the time.

vqjqys.jpg

Another fun 3 weeks in the land of the Rising Sun. Total Leaf count? Lets just say I saw many more Leaves at LAX on the way to the Hilton to sleep off some jet lag than I did the entire trip.

The factory is still at one Leaf to every seven cars produced (same as last September). The difference this time is the shipping lot was full to the brim with Leaves. Don't know where they were going, but there were bunches of them sitting there. Nissan seems intent on selling the Leaf to someone. Embarrassingly so at times. Anyone who attempts to use an Apple Computer on a three week trip is an idiot (that would be me). Thank G-d I brought a Motorola Xoom and HP TouchPad. "Son, can I borrow your tablet, I need to get some work done. You can watch that on this thing. Call me when the file crashes."

One interesting thing I picked up was this EV Tourism/Charging Location brochure. Some scans for your enjoyment.

And the Swallows took three straight from the Giants. A Golden Moment just before Golden Week.

6t05sw.jpg
357ew60.jpg
jz77mf.jpg
70fb7o.jpg

^^^
At first, I was going to ask if you took a Nissan plant tour but then realized you'd already been one before. Since fruit came up, did you see any square watermelon (http://www.snopes.com/photos/odd/watermelon.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)? I've been to Japan 4x before but never saw any (but didn't know to look for it).

Ok, you didn't see many Leafs but did you see many J1772 or CHAdeMO charging stations?

cwerdna said:
^^^
At first, I was going to ask if you took a Nissan plant tour but then realized you'd already been one before. Since fruit came up, did you see any square watermelon (http://www.snopes.com/photos/odd/watermelon.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)? I've been to Japan 4x before but never saw any (but didn't know to look for it).

Ok, you didn't see many Leafs but did you see many J1772 or CHAdeMO charging stations?

Just checked with my ActiveE driver (wife) and she said no weirdly shaped fruit. I went to a couple of Farmer's Markets (in an unrelated matter) and saw nothing unusual, except myself. Now weirdly shaped Baseball food, I've got for you. Prize in Cracker Jacks? Hell boy, this here's got an Octopus Tentacle piece in each and every Fish Ball!

2jezig8.jpg

I took the factory tour again. Because I'm boring. The tour is not. The people are extremely friendly and my son is enjoying his tiny Nissan Leaf model he received as a gift (gave mine away, sorry). The factory is so festooned with Leaf stuff (and Ghosn's photo) it reminded me of a ChiComm plant I visited in the bad, bad old days, just much nicer and with Ghosn playing the role of Mao.

CHAdeMO? Just the one at the Oppama plant visitor's center. There's another one in Oppama but I don't have enough suck to get into the Special VSP Grand Drive area (i.e. I can't convince someone that my internet presence is more than 6 page views per annum) to check it out. Supposedly there are a bunch of them at the ENEOS chain of gas stations, but the several I checked didn't have one.

^^^
I'm guessing that's http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Takoyaki" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. I don't eat seafood other than fish so no octopus for me.

Interesting. Well, if I ever end up getting a Leaf and end up in Japan again, maybe I'll try for another tour at Oppama. Back when I went, I don't recall Ghosn's photo anywhere in/around the plant. But, that was in 03.

Getting kinda OT, I started a thread of weird/quirky stuff see in Japan at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=8651" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Had a very nice trip to Japan. Only saw 5 Leafs. One was charging with CHAdeMO at a dealer (closed for new years) in Nagasaki. Stopped by the dealership near Tamachi station in Tokyo and talked with their Leaf rep about accessories and such. Though we were in Yokohama, I didn’t check if they were giving tours at the Oppama plant.

Noticed that when accelerating from a stop, the Leaf sounds and feels like the electric trains there, especially the Shinkansen (bullet trains). Great train system great rail pass!

Pictures: http://imageshack.us/g/1/9976052/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back