EVSE Installation, Info and Cost Comparison Thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMO there should be no EVSE. Just a cord to plug in. Put the cord in a small hatch in the front so we can draw it out.
There are plenty of options for a power inlet on the car that already existed if the cord should be detached.
All the new connectors are simply redundent IMO.

OK I can see a new connector is probably needed for the L3 connection.
There is just no reason to make L1 & L2 so complicated.

garygid said:
Your AV-bid for your minimal but "standard" job would get the "contracted" installer only $500, including materials, I was told.

However, this "different" job might need another non-standard quote, right?
No minimal (custom) assessment for us.
Heck, we had no clue AV would even need to set such a process up, so we just got the standard $2k cookie cutter assessment. Back in July, I'm not certain if AV had even dreamed up the concept of a custom assessment. But therein lies the beauty, because whether AV assesses your job as big or teeny (w/out a 'custom' quote ... not that custom quotes are even necessary, because ALL quotes should be uniquely drafted) they simply regurgitate the standard $2k quote. There's no way we're going to send our self to the back of the line this late in the game, by requesting a new/custom assessment. But if AV's going to charge us $2k to install 'everything', you can be SURE we'll get the full service that their hoakie quote implies they'll be doing ... IOW, they can do the quoted work, on a new EV TOU meter. How could AV possibly take issue with doing the very work they quoted?
:D

evnow said:
smkettner said:
There is just no reason to make L1 & L2 so complicated.

What exact plug format will that cord support for L1/L2 ?
The same inlet already accepts 120 or 240v so just have a standard 240v plug (6-20p?) and give an adapter to plug into 120v.
The car will know if it is plugged into 120 or 240 and could just as easy only pull 12a when 120v is present and 16a when 240v is presented.

OK maybe the L1 EVSE has a step up transformer to present 240v? I really doubt that considering the small size.

Even if the Leaf needed two separate cords to protect the clueless it would be far less money than a $800 EVSE and all these high quotes to install a simple outlet.

smkettner said:
Even if the Leaf needed two separate cords to protect the clueless it would be far less money than a $800 EVSE and all these high quotes to install a simple outlet.

All the high quotes & expensive evse is just a short term thing. In a couple of years all the prices will come down.

We may also get something like what you are proposing a single evse cord with both 120/240 plugs with adopters on one side - but with a j-1772 on the other.

Nema-6-20P-Inlet.gif

http://www.gfci.com/accessories/Nema6-20P.html

No J-1772 needed

Just an off the shelf extension cord

Due to a further (and hopefully short-term) reduction in hours at work, I now only need to commute 3 days a week and have 16 hours from the time I get home to needing the car the next day (or 15 hours if I wait until off-peak hours begin at 6pm). As I result, I may postpone the EVSE purchase from AV, see what the market brings in terms of alternatives during the interim, and ask my solar vendor to prepare the junction box and wiring as part of their install.

smkettner said:
Nema-6-20P-Inlet.gif

http://www.gfci.com/accessories/Nema6-20P.html

No J-1772 needed

Just an off the shelf extension cord

No pilot signal which is needed and those last six months and fail. I have charged EVs for years with many cords adaptors and configs, I like the new standard and it does make sense for many reasons. In time it will be a non issue. It's about time there is a standard.

smkettner said:
The same inlet already accepts 120 or 240v so just have a standard 240v plug (6-20p?) and give an adapter to plug into 120v. The car will know if it is plugged into 120 or 240 and could just as easy only pull 12a when 120v is present and 16a when 240v is presented.
So, with a single wire and no EVSE, how is the car supposed to know whether it is connected to a 20A, 40A, or 70A circuit? You do want Nissan to be able to put a bigger charger in the car in the future, don't you?

Even though I don't expect to be using 240v charging myself, I think it is a really good idea that L2 charging is being standardized, so any car of any brand can use any charging station of any brand.

Nope, the 3.3Kw is fine. Just like any appliance it will not draw more than the connector.

So if a new vehicle needs a 50 amp connector it would use a NEMA 10-50P and of course your supply must match.

I don't care to prepare now for all future possibilities. I just want to plug in the Leaf with no added BS.

I suppose this is all needed for public charging that must accomodate every future possibility.
Just saying something basic for home charging should be available IMO.

The "something basic" exists for most of the world: the simple, plug-in, in-line, "230 volt", L2 EVSE that plugs into a common, standard, safe-to-use wall-socket.

Unfortunately, in the USA, we have no such common, standard, safe 240v wall-socket, and our 120v wall-socket (not "safe") is the closest thing available.

Also, our "regulators" have refused to move us toward a safe world standard socket, and (apparently) actually forbid us from using those "better" sockets.

Thus, these "wise" people say, a 120-volt version of the EVSE, 1.4 kW, is (essentially) all we can be allowed to use. Thus, Nissan supplies the "Emergency" (VS = Very Slow) L1 EVSE with the LEAF.

In practice, we SHOULD have a "universal" EVSE (for 120/240 operation), with safe sockets we could install in place of our "unsafe" sockets, and adapter plugs to put in the "standard" wall-socket (and leave in an often-used socket). As EVs become common, there will probably be an EVolution, but for now we are being extra-cautious, in the hopes of avoiding ANY bad press. So, in helping the USA to get off oil, and to make EVs a success, we should do the best we can, IMO.

evnow said:
All the high quotes & expensive evse is just a short term thing. In a couple of years all the prices will come down.

First the EVSE + Install costs will go up, then they will start going down.

Broken Record said:
They go up in 1 Jan 2011, when the tax credit expires.

Hello.
I received a card from Nissan LEAF in the mail today! When you open it says on the yellow card "Congratulations. This is the start of something big" Inside the folded booklet are some cool LEAF bumper or window stickers- one says "For Sale Switching to Electric" the other sticker says "no gas, no tailpipe, no emissions."
Wonder who else received this in the mail from Nissan?

malloryk said:
anyone get an email today from Coulomb saying they're now taking orders for EVSEs and scheduling home assessments?
I got the email. And this is what it said:

September 28, 2010

Special Program for California EV Buyers.

Get your networked home charging station installed before your new Nissan LEAF arrives.
Specially priced Coulomb Technologies’ ChargePoint networked home charging stations are available to order NOW.

The ChargePoint CT500 charging station:

is a 7.2 kW single output station
delivers Level II (208/240 V @ 30 A) charging
is compatible with all plug-in electric vehicles that comply with the SAE J1772™ plug-in electric vehicle-charging standard
Media coverage:
engadget
GreenBeat

Why buy a “networked” home charging station?
With your ChargePass™ card you can activate SMS and email alerts for:
Vehicle Fully Charged
Plug-Out Detection
Ground Fault Detection (GFCI Trip)
Over-Current Detection
Your ChargePass account will collect all Usage History for your home and public charging with:
Start and End times
Energy (kWh) used
Greenhouse Gases Saved
Occupied Time
*Future feature coming soon: through your ChargePass account you can schedule when you want your vehicle to begin charging, thereby ensuring you receive the best utility rates.

Two ways to order your ChargePoint Networked Charging Station.
ONE:

Contact an authorized Coulomb distributor.
Place an order for your ChargePoint Networked CT500 with special limited pricing that includes an at-home inspection and installation quote.
Schedule an at-home inspection and receive a written installation quote from the installer.
Place your order for installation and receive $100 off the cost of installation.
TWO:

Contact an authorized Coulomb distributor.
Place an order for a $100 at-home inspection (refundable with purchase of installation).
Schedule an at-home inspection and receive an onsite written quote containing your ChargePoint Networked CT500 and installation.
Place your product and installation order with the installer.
Act now. Limited time offer. Contact now for details and pricing.

To order your ChargePoint Networked Charging Station or schedule your home inspection, please contact:

Clean Fuel Connection, Inc.
1-888-890-GOEV and ask for Kristine Manukyan
[email protected]

Coulomb Technologies is the leader in electric vehicle charging station infrastructure with networked charging stations installed in municipalities and organizations worldwide. Follow Coulomb on Twitter at twitter.com/coulombevi.

I was quoted $1850 for the CT500, plus installation. They expect to have them in stock in the next few weeks. Is it worth the extra money to get a better charger?

Back