Opening the charger port could be easier

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TonyWilliams said:
It seems like the charge port door needs the same secondly latch that the hood of virtually every car has. Has anybody put a timer inhibit switch up front yet?
Not really. A hood accidentally flying open is a very dangerous occurrence. The charge door flying open is at best a nuisance. I, for one, think the current design is a good balance between security and ease of use...besides it's how all gas ports have worked for the last 20 years or so.

Are EV drivers dumber or more forgetful than ICE drivers?... ICE cars don't have an indicator for their fuel door and seem to get along just fine without it...

TonyWilliams said:
I would like to see a basic dash warning whenever the car is powered and in gear, and the charger door is open.

TomT said:
Are EV drivers dumber or more forgetful than ICE drivers?... ICE cars don't have an indicator for their fuel door and seem to get along just fine without it...
...and I see plenty of folks driving down the road with their fuel door open. Your point? ;)

My point is that you don't hear THEM bitching about there being no light... Hey, maybe we could also motorize it so it opens and closes automatically like the tailgates on some SUVs for the exceptionally lazy... :lol:

johnr said:
TomT said:
...and I see plenty of folks driving down the road with their fuel door open. Your point? ;)

turbo2ltr said:
I'd like to see a key-fob controlled actuator so I don't have to remember to pull the lever when I get out.

Agreed. It should be solenoid actuated from the fob.

So, this could be done relatively easily. Mount a power trunk release actuator to the existing lever (just like others have attached a rope or cable tie.) You could use this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Crimestoppe...pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

Then run one button up where one of the dummy panels is on the dash, and mount a second button upside down in the grill opening on the front of the car. Presto! Walk up, push a button and voila!

it is certainly among life's very very minor inconveniences to be ready to charge and realize -- oops, have to walk 8 feet and open the driver door and release the latch.
hardly something worth a kvetch.
yes, it would be cool to have a release on the fob or for the thing to have a button that opens in proximity to the fob, as the rear hatch does. but it is such small beans.

Forgot to open Charge Door... have to walk all the way back now.

1bhf.jpg

Supposedly the 2013 addresses this issue :

"Improved convenience of the charging port, including a locking mechanism for the normal charging connector, LED light for charging at night and electromagnetic opener for the charging port lid."

http://sfbayleafs.org/news/2012/11/updated-nissan-leaf-announced-in-japan/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (look about midway down)

Apologies if this was mentioned in the thread already.

GroundLoop said:
Because they didn't want anyone but the owner to be able to open the charging hatch. The last thing I want to find in there is a lit cigarette, urine, or a beer.
However, any time you are charging the car the port is open and thus "vulnerable".

I would prefer a push to unlock function over the existing hood release or even a fob option. I also have a 2012 Prius-PHEV which used a push to unlock and I absolutely love it. It's low tech so there is very little to fail and it would be cheap to replace. I has a built in weather cover as part of the door so when closed it seals the port from moisture. I find the orange weather cover on the leaf a little annoying as well when this could have been built into the large door such that it caused a seal when closed.

The Prius also has a light on the port when open, I very much miss this option on the Leaf when it's dark at night when I come home and plug it in.

The Prius also has a charge port door open indicator, unfortunately it uses the display screen to warn you and you can not cancel the warning.

I will defiantly be looking into this thread: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=3930" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just thought I would add my opinion to the topic, I'm not "complaining" but rather I'm simply looking to help improve the leaf. Shoot, get the the last reply and it looks like everything is solved now, shucks..

Dolio said:
Just thought I would add my opinion to the topic, I'm not "complaining" but rather I'm simply looking to help improve the leaf. Shoot, get the the last reply and it looks like everything is solved now, shucks..
Welcome, thanks for contributing. Have a look at the photos Phil took in Phoenix. They were buried in the Town Hall meeting thread.

2013chdoor4

2013chdoor3

2013chdoor

2013chdoor2

newownermnl

Does the light in the charge port area ...

1) come on when open a certain angle ?
2) when opened remotely (via fob or "pull" by release in car) ?
3) time out after it first illuminates (from whatever action) ?
4) come back on at any point during or after completion of charging ?
5) come on if an already popped-open charge port cover is raised to the full open position ? (We frequently "pop" it when arriving home, but don't plug in until later.)

I don't expect answers to the above unless someone has had the benefit of playing with a MY2013, or has its manual ... but I am curious to know how they designed it.

It seemed to come on anytime it was "popped", and then it went off after a delay. It doesn't have a sensor of any kind on the lid (other than the camera), so it won't turn back on if you lift the lid.

Since you can now pop the lid from the fob as well, that will turn on the light.

I wasn't able to check what happens during/after charging, but I'd guess it doesn't come on. After all, you don't really need it to remove the handle.

-Phil

Nubo said:
With my 2012 "stealth" charger port I will be safer from zombies. :lol:
Except as soon as you connect your J1772, the Leaf will go "BEEP" "BEEP" "CLUNK" "CLUNK" right before it starts charging, and then they will come and eat your brain. :lol:

-Phil

Im not sure if this had been mentioned before but I just traded in an Infiniti for my Leaf. In the infiniti the key FOB would unlock the gas cover if you were close to it and it would just pop open for you if you touched it. That would be awesome, I certainly loved it in the Infiniti...Who owns Infiniti again? oh yeah......

aarong12 said:
Im not sure if this had been mentioned before but I just traded in an Infiniti for my Leaf. In the infiniti the key FOB would unlock the gas cover if you were close to it and it would just pop open for you if you touched it. That would be awesome, I certainly loved it in the Infiniti...Who owns Infiniti again? oh yeah......

That is way slicker than the key fob button. Technology is clearly in the LEAF to do such a thing but I'm sure it was just a cost of the additional sensor and touch interface vs the button. TBH I'm pretty content with my rope hanging through the grill hack.

Back