LEAF advisory group

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RegGuheert said:
Nubo said:
The rationale for LA-4 that I remember, was because EPA had not quantified a test leading up to the LEAF launch. That rationale is gone. I know it's probably hard to let go of that 100 mile value, but LA-4 doesn't help the US consumer. Maybe it's close to the Japan model, but nowhere close to the market standard here.
I do not think the range number is nearly as critical to the Japanese customers as it is to American customers. The reason is that many of the LEAFs in Japan are right around Yokohama and they have access to a bunch of quick chargers. If the battery gets low, no big deal! Simply plug in for a few minutes and continue to your destination.

Where I live, I do not expect to have that option for quite some time.
Same here so one stick for all is not so good. 100 miles is not reasonable and people complaining. EPA minus reasonable reserve.

Right and regional differences and the needs for public charging were also one of the topics that will be tackled with this group as well.

Reg is in an area where 40 miles from his home is halfway to nowhere so quick charging is not gonna do anything for him but i am in the puget sound regiofn where most of my destnatins can be just over 50 miles making a fast charge critical

DaveinOlyWA said:
Reg is in an area where 40 miles from his home is halfway to nowhere...
:lol:

Well, that all depends on which DIRECTION I drive! In one particular direction, I can drive the LEAF directly into Washington, DC. It's getting home that would make quick charging interesting!

RegGuheert said:
... - Everyone working on the LEAF within Nissan ALWAYS quotes LA4 cycle results when they discuss vehicle range. It is not just marketing and sales doing this, but everyone. Their entire culture seems to be built around this concept that the LA4 range of the vehicles is THE range of the vehicles. Most (all?) of the members of the advisory board found this somewhat disturbing. My personal feeling is that it does not bode well for us to get any changes in how they communicate the capabilities of the car outside of Nissan, but we'll see. I think this needs to be a point for further discussion with them going forward. Would anyone else like to propose a different range for them to use in discussions? Perhaps the EPA five-cycle range test result? ...
I find myself wanting to contact the FTC to request they require carmakers ONLY advertise the EPA number as is done for gas mileage. Cherry picking the number they want is crazy.

davewill said:
I find myself wanting to contact the FTC to request they require carmakers ONLY advertise the EPA number as is done for gas mileage. Cherry picking the number they want is crazy.
+1

I think that's likely the only sensible way to approach this, and it would help change the entrenched range "culture" at Nissan and elsewhere in a jiffy. Thank you for the detailed trip and meeting reports. Great and much appreciated read.

OrientExpress said:
If you guys are at the Nissan Yokohama headquarters today, can you snap a picture of the QC stations that are there at the entrance to the Nissan Gallery? When I was there last month, I forgot to get a shot of them.

Thanks! Sounds like you are having a great time.

I took this pic of the two QCs. Let's see if I can post them here.

Edit: Sorry, I don't know what I am doing so will send the pic to OrientExpress by email.

Not to go too OT...
davewill said:
While you're at it, maybe you should suggest they outlaw my pet peeve of being able to cherry pick the highest # out of city/highway and combined EPA numbers for ICEVs. As I've posted here and elsewhere:

It should be illegal to cherry pick and advertise only the highest mpg #. If they're going to state only 1, then it should be combined. Otherwise, state all 3 (city/highway/combined) in equal prominence.

surfingslovak said:
davewill said:
+1
+2
It should be illegal to advertise anything else, and the combined number should be the one advertised for ICE.

surfingslovak said:
davewill said:
+1

I think that's likely the only sensible way to approach this, and it would help change the entrenched range "culture" at Nissan and elsewhere in a jiffy. Thank you for the detailed trip and meeting reports. Great and much appreciated read.

+++++++One Million

TonyWilliams said:
surfingslovak said:
davewill said:
+1

+++++++One Million

Heck I raise you 16 Trillion pluses. If its good enough for Obama it's good enough for me.

Seriously tho, I agree that they should stick to the EPA number. In years gone by the EPA number was optimistic as well, but the recent tests they do are pretty good IMHO.

cwerdna said:
It should be illegal to cherry pick and advertise only the highest mpg #. If they're going to state only 1, then it should be combined. Otherwise, state all 3 (city/highway/combined) in equal prominence.

I've come to expect manufacturers to pad the specs as far as they can legally. The thing that puzzles me is the 7 hour charge time. That's worst case, why not say 2 hours for most commutes?

My educated guess is that everybody is still trying to wake up and catch up with their lives. I personally finally arrived home at midnight last night, and have been plowing through a ton of backed-up tasks ever since. I am willing to take a moment to at least throw you a generalized "bone" to get things rolling.

Starting a new thread is probably prudent, too. Good idea. Far too much confusion at the beginning of this one, I'm afraid. It would seem that there are still folks who think we were meeting with Nissan to "solve" the AZ battery issue, or to ask for more LEAF features, or.... whatever.

In a nutshell, it was a fantastic experience by all accounts. There was a tremendous amount of give and take on both sides. Our goal was to represent the EV market from as many different backgrounds and angles as we could. I am convinced that the individuals in our group learned as much from each other as the Nissan representatives learned from our group. Each one of us comes to EVs from a different set of circumstances and experiences. And we all have different wants and needs. We also all participate in different EV owner groups regularly. Amazing to me is how cohesive our message was in general, while having distinct differences in the details. And it was our cohesive message that really struck a chord with Nissan (so we were told more than once). We had unprecedented access to everything "Nissan" - and I think (and certainly hope!) that it was well worth the time, expense, effort and risk that Nissan put into our visit. Trust me when I say that there is not one "yes man" (or woman!) in our group. None of us was chosen for our ability to roll over and play dead. Everybody contributed, criticized, and even praised when appropriate. And everybody - on both sides - learned a great deal.

I come away from this experience with a tremendous respect for how committed Nissan is to their EV program. Of course I also came home with a healthy respect for the number of EV learning experiences that can be stuffed into a single day!

Let me see if this works for pictures: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/fk9hikj87rn6y9r/Y_kcpwfN1k" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

darelldd said:
My educated guess is that everybody is still trying to wake up and catch up with their lives. I personally finally arrived home at midnight last night, and have been plowing through a ton of backed-up tasks ever since. I am willing to take a moment to at least throw you a generalized "bone" to get things rolling.

Thanks. Didn't mean to sound entitled. There just seemed to have been a steady number of tidbits and then nothing. Wasn't aware of the departure schedule. Regards.

Nubo said:
Thanks. Didn't mean to sound entitled. There just seemed to have been a steady number of tidbits and then nothing. Wasn't aware of the departure schedule. Regards.

No worries. Most folks probably got home before I did (I couldn't come straight home from the airport) - but everybody is busy, certainly. My big worry is hearing too MUCH from this group... not to little. ;)

surfingslovak said:
darelldd said:
My big worry is hearing too MUCH from this group... not to little. ;)
Why? Given the past history, there could not be enough communication.

Correct me if I'm wrong... the lack of communication was between Nissan and the owners. There has never been a lack of communication among the EV enthusiasts, certainly!

darelldd said:
Correct me if I'm wrong... the lack of communication was between Nissan and the owners. There has never been a lack of communication among the EV enthusiasts, certainly!
Yes, that's correct. Jeff's presence here on MNL has helped greatly, IMHO anyway. Regarding owner-to-owner communication: there were certainly others with access to privileged information. Unfortunately, their interactions on this board have been, for the lack of a more polite term, underwhelming.

surfingslovak said:
darelldd said:
Yes, that's correct. Jeff's presence here on MNL has helped greatly, IMHO anyway. Regarding owner-to-owner communication: there were certainly others with access to privileged information. Unfortunately, their interactions on this board have been, for the lack of a more polite term, underwhelming.

Ah. Well, I can't speak for others. But this group seems to be plenty vociferous (at least in person! Current posting rate not withstanding). Anything in particular that you'd like to know about this initial visit? You'll of course understand that there are some things that we cannot discuss publicly, unfortunately.

Ah... and Jeff. How great is Jeff? Trust me when I say that he's even more fun in person. ;)

I just about have a handle on the jet-lag now. But I still need to get to bed!

Back