EVSE Installation, Info and Cost Comparison Thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would rather order the Tesla model and swap the cord for 16kw. The unit is $1950 and is 70A. These are the CC model and I believe sold at a loss.

garygid said:
Apparently a Coulomb Distributor:

http://www.cleanfuelconnection.com/contact.html

Arcadia, CA
But, the $1.8k price a WAY high, IMO.

Too many pointless features that make it costly.

Price update. You get 2 years free of their networking service then it is $150 year. It is also a 1 year warranty - they do not know the cost of the 5 year warranty.

josh said:
Price update. You get 2 years free of their networking service then it is $150 year. It is also a 1 year warranty - they do not know the cost of the 5 year warranty.

$150 a year for networking, what a joke. Why would one care if you can get what you need via the Leaf. A one year warranty is poor as well when companies like leviton offer 10 years.

smkettner said:
I want a low cost featureless box and cord that just connects. $150 network fee per year, no possible chance.
And $1800 to purchase is a joke.

These guys won't last and good luck getting people to pay any fee for something that connects to your home network and can be port forwarded. It's low power as well for the price.

josh said:
it actually does not connect through your home network - it is cell based networking.

Just another fee to get texts, silly. I don't need some 3rd party monitoring my usage to sell either.

EVDRIVER said:
garygid said:
Apparently a Coulomb Distributor:
http://www.cleanfuelconnection.com/contact.html
Arcadia, CA
But, the $1.8k price a WAY high, IMO.
Too many pointless features that make it costly.

Today I received another email regarding the CT500 from Clean Fuel Connection:

Thank you for your inquiry regarding the special offer for Nissan Leaf and other plug-in vehicle buyers. Here are the details :

CT 500 unit only (excluding sales tax)

$1850

Shipping for charger

$ 50

Site Visit—deducted from installation if use CFCI

$ 100

Standard Installation—approximately 35 feet of conduit,

mounted on the exterior of the home, no trenching, coring or boring, one penetration from exterior to garage,

sign quote at the time of site visit. Excludes permits.

$ 900 (approx.)

Permits (if pulled by installer)

$ 200 (approx.)

Installation if you have had an EV charger and already have a 40 amp circuit (includes removal of existing charger if necessary)

$ 450

We expect units to be available for shipping in two to three weeks. We will also have them in stock for immediate installation. A federal tax credit of up to 50% of the total cost is available until December 31, 2010. Links to the 2009 form (with instructions) and 2010 draft form (without instructions) are attached.

2010 http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-dft/f8911--dft.pdf

2009 http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8911.pdf

Other items to consider:

1. You can choose to install the unit yourself or have your own electrician install it, however, we will ask you to sign something indicating that you will follow electrical codes and local procedures for installation. If the unit is not properly installed or is tampered with, the one year parts and labor warranty will be void.

2. If purchased by December 31, 2010, the unit comes with two years free network software license; after two years you may need to pay a license fee of $140 per year. We are currently discussing this with the manufacturer.

Clean Fuel Connection (CFCI) has been in the electric vehicle infrastructure business since 1999 and the President has 18 years prior experience with a major investor-owned utility. CFCI has sold and installed approximately 8,000 chargers from multiple manufacturers. We are currently the exclusive California distributor of Coulomb ChargePoint charging units. Over the past two years, we worked with BMW to install the infrastructure for the MINI E program. We drive a total alternative fuel fleet of two EVs (RAV4 and MINI E) in our fleet and one CNG Honda Civic GX.

If you are interested in purchasing the charger and/or installation, please let us know where you live and we will have one of our dealers contact you immediately.

Thanks,

Enid

Enid Joffe

Clean Fuel Connection, Inc.

127 La Porte Street Unit M

Arcadia, CA 91006

http://www.cleanfuelconnection.com

626 445-1445 ext 100(office)

626 445-1450 (fax)

626 533-2225 (cell)

$1900 (inc. CA tax and $50 shipping)
$140/year after the first 2 years
At first glance, it appears to be no bargin, especially for home use.

Requiring "free" WiFi network connectivity is bad enough, but "requiring" a paid service of some sort would seem to be more for isolated commercial installations. No real reason for larger groups of "charge-stations" to not all use one "connection" for the whole group.

So, the cost and complexity make the simple $836 (inc. tax and shipping) AV EVSE seem good, ... if one wants a hard-wired EVSE.

lettcco said:
Hi, any word on Leviton's price/availability yet? I am trying to decide if I should jump on the green bay group EVCA EVSE deal or not....

lettcco, can you point me in the direction of info on that group buy? I missed it somehow.

Boomer23 said:
lettcco, can you point me in the direction of info on that group buy? I missed it somehow.

now that you mention it, I also cannot find the thread to the EVSE group buy. But here's the thread for the EVSE I am interested: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1177&hilit=EVCA

For both Leviton and EVCA, it appears that there is no availability (single or group) or "real" price info yet.

(For more info, see the two EVSE-specific threads linked to above.)

GM is offering a unit from SPX for $490. Not sure they will be offered separately though they do set some base on the price. I guess $490 is reasonable enough for a unit that costs maybe $175 to make. http://www.chevroletvoltage.com/index.php/Volt/chevrolet-volt-home-charging.html

There seems to be good money to be made selling supplies to the 49ers. Or put another way, being in the first wave that lands on the beach comes with some issues.

I was reading the EVSE agreement for the EV Project. I get to keep the unit after it is over but with only basic funtion I can sign up for a membership network to get WHAT? Is that less then the nissan or more?:twisted: :evil:

5 Ownership
Title to and ownership of the Equipment will be retained by ETEC through the Term of this Agreement and perpetually if the Agreement is terminated for cause. At the end of the Term, or upon termination of the Agreement without cause, ownership of the Equipment will be transferred to and vest in Participant. Participant acknowledges that upon termination of this Agreement and transfer of Equipment title to Participant, the Equipment will provide basic charging services only and that full functionality of the Equipment will require Participant to enroll in an ETEC EVSE membership network.

Back