Blink / Rav4 Blows Out a Contactor Pin (with gory pics)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Red said:
Just checked my J1772 connector after it had been charging the 3.5KW Leaf for a couple of hours. One pin was at 92 degrees, the others all in the 60's. Will contact Blink to see if they will replace the cable.
Ouch! I checked mine, but the difference was much smaller 75 and 82. I'd really push 'em.

Red said:
Just checked my J1772 connector after it had been charging the 3.5KW Leaf for a couple of hours. One pin was at 92 degrees, the others all in the 60's. Will contact Blink to see if they will replace the cable.
Yes, this is a bad handle. If you attempt to charge another EV at 30A, you will melt something.

I've publicly suggested Ecotality issue a software patch to their Blink units ASAP to reduce the pilot to 24A (at most) until such time as they can ascertain what to do about the defective crimps. This will save a lot of potential damage and problems, especially for public units.

Be warned, that while replacing your blink's J1772 cord with a new ITT/Leviton 30A unit will indeed solve the problem, as well as give you a longer cord, it still violates your agreement and they can (and apparently have) come remove the EVSE from your property. If you ignore my warning and do this upgrade, save your old assembly so you can reinstall it when/if your Blink needs service. It's a simple thing to swap.

Here's a picture of one of the badly crimped pins in the Blink's J1772 handle (Rema):
pic

-Phil

Well, the FitEV Blink EVSE issue (and Colby's Plug In Cars article) has gotten the attention of ABG now.

Honda "monitoring" Fit EV recharging problems at Ecotality Blink stations:
http://green.autoblog.com/2013/02/04/honda-monitoring-fit-ev-recharging-problems-ecotality-blink/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My REMA on my Blink home EVSE is bad. Below are my temperature measurements I made of the REMA, Yazaki and ITT plugs while charging my 2011 Nissan Leaf.

Note, temperatures measurements were measured with a CEN-TECH IR Thermometer Item # 93983 running in “MAX” mode ½ inch from the socket or plug.

All measurements made after 40 minutes of charging:

Panasonic (Nissan) upgraded by EVSE Upgraded to 16 Amp. EV cord set that comes with the Leaf.

Yazaki Plug

11.7 °C ambient temperature next to plug & inlet.

15.6 °C AC Power L1, delta T = 3.9 °C
14.5 °C AC Power L2, delta T = 2.8 °C

Leaf Inlet

15.8 °C AC Power L1, delta T = 4.1 °C
15.4 °C AC Power L2, delta T = 3.7 °C

======================================================================

The next plugs and inlet were on a SAE J1772 extender I made connected to 16 Amp. Panasonic EVSE above so the current was the same, 16 Amps.

ITT Plug

8.4 °C ambient temperature next to plug & inlet.

11.1 °C AC Power L1, delta T = 2.7 °C
11. 1 °C AC Power L1, delta T = 2.7 °C

Red Point Engineering Inlet

8.4 °C ambient temperature next to plug & inlet.

11.0 °C AC Power L1, delta T = 2.6 °C
10.8 °C AC Power L1, delta T = 2.4 °C

======================================================================

Next, the REMA plug connected to my Blink home EVSE model WE-30CIRE, S/N 101940 running at 16 Amps.

REMA Plug

5.5 °C ambient temperature next to plug & inlet.

17.5 °C AC Power L1, delta T = 12.0 °C
17.4 °C AC Power L2, delta T = 11.9 °C

Leaf Inlet (same Leaf as above)

17.7 °C AC Power L1, delta T = 12.2 °C
15.4 °C AC Power L2, delta T = 9.9 °C

I am getting a Tesla Model S at the end of February. The Tesla will be drawing 32 Amps. versus 16 Amps. Power goes up by the square of the current so all of the above delta temperatures will increase by a factor of four. So, at 32 Amps. the Yazaki will have a temperature rise of 15.6 °C, the ITT plug 10.8 °C and the REMA 48.8 °C. The REMA is clearly defective so I call Blink customer support. I told them my REMA connector is too running too hot and here is their response:

Hi Jim,

Thank you for contacting the Blink Network in regard to the charging hose assembly on your Blink unit. At present, ECOtality is investigating reports of overheating issues with the J1772 plugs, however, these issues only appear to be affecting two vehicles: the Toyoya RAV4 and the Honda Fit. Tesla vehicles have been and are used extensively with the Blink charging stations without issue. The charging nozzles on the Blink units will reach temperatures around 90°F during normal operation due to the power flowing through the connector pins. Does the connector appear to be melting, smoking, or giving off any strange odors? Does the unit appear to have any issues while charging your vehicle? We hold customer experience as the utmost priority and will work to ensure your unit is safe to use with your vehicle. Please advise us of any of these problems so we can better resolve your issue; if you have any questions or concerns, we are available 24/7 via phone or email for your convenience.

Best Regards,

S. Dustin Seyfert
Blink Network Contact Center
e: [email protected] | d: +1.888.998.2546

I am sure I do not want to plug my new Tesla Model S J1772 adapter (when I get it) into the REMA plug so that it can “be melting, smoking, or giving off any strange odors” so that Blink (hopefully) will fill fix it. I am not sure why they want me to burn something up and why the above data is not sufficient for them to replace the REMA so the charger is ready with I get my Model S. I will replace it myself or buy another EVSE.

Comments or Advise from anyone?

Jim

JimLovewell said:

Jim

Do like me and buy another unit. Buy one specifically designed for Tesla. I wouldn't be too worried if you are doing a bit of vanity charging at the local shopping mall, but it's not worth burning your house down.

He's right, that Blinks have been charging Teslas for a while now, and maybe the metal Tesla adapter dissipates enough heat to negate the issue, but why take a chance with such an expensive car (or again, your house)? After talking with Blink I decided not to take any chances and bought the Toyota-recommended Leviton unit for our RAV4, saving Blink for the Volt.

I bought a Clipper Creek CS-40 unit from this eBay seller and it works well (hint)....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Clipper-Creek-CS-40-J1772-EV-charger-Level-2-charger-/261165541010?pt=Battery_Chargers&hash=item3cceade692" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

JimLovewell said:
... I am sure I do not want to plug my new Tesla Model S J1772 adapter (when I get it) into the REMA plug so that it can “be melting, smoking, or giving off any strange odors” so that Blink (hopefully) will fill fix it. I am not sure why they want me to burn something up and why the above data is not sufficient for them to replace the REMA so the charger is ready with I get my Model S. I will replace it myself or buy another EVSE.

Jim
A short test with the Tesla should be safe enough. Run it for a few minutes, then check temps. If OK, try a little longer. If it gets too high, there's your smoking gun to hit Blink over the head with. Just tell 'em you "smelled something burning." Be sure to tell them to bring their own car to test with when they come out to fix it.

JimLovewell: Thanks for your thorough tests and explanation of findings! I wish there were others who had done the same. Please take the time to repeat similar tests when you get your Tesla -- I feel confident that you can find a way to do all such tests safely.

If you still feel otherwise (and even if you don't), since this is a Leaf forum and most here would find it hard to adequately translate your test results made on a Tesla to their Leaf anyway: perhaps you could persuade a nearby Nissan dealership to allow you to do these same tests using their Blink and a 2013 3.3kW charger Leaf and a 2013 6.6kW charger Leaf. Any results could not help but be illuminating.

Ingineer: You wrote "once the oxide has formed in the interface...". Could you please elaborate on this for me (as I don't understand)?

MikeD said:
Ingineer: You wrote "once the oxide has formed in the interface...". Could you please elaborate on this for me (as I don't understand)?
I think he's referring to the interface between the two materials/objects: the wire itself and the inside of the sleeve (pin?) that's crimped.

To me, one could cut off the ruined portion of the wire and crimp again... but then there's the other side.

cwerdna said:
.. To me, one could cut off the ruined portion of the wire and crimp again... but then there's the other side.
You would have to have a new set of pins, and the proper crimping tool. For most of us, changing out the whole cable assembly is probably the way to go.

davewill said:
cwerdna said:
.. To me, one could cut off the ruined portion of the wire and crimp again... but then there's the other side.
You would have to have a new set of pins, and the proper crimping tool.
Yep. That's what I meant. The pin/sleeve's inner surface would still be messed up, if it's not replaced.

JimLovewell said:
I am getting a Tesla Model S at the end of February. The Tesla will be drawing 32 Amps. versus 16 Amps....
Jim

Does your car have a single 40 amp Tesla charger, or 80 amp "twin" chargers?

A cheap repair is just modify the Blink and replace the REMA J1772 with a Yazaki, ITT or Leviton quality cable for under $200.

End of issue.

A cheap repair is just modify the Blink and replace the REMA J1772 with a Yazaki, ITT or Leviton quality cable for under $200.

End of issue

Yes, I agree. I have already order the ITT from Leviton to replace the REMA plus cable.

I cannot help to wounder what is going bad in the REMA plug. It is bad workmanship (the wire crimps) or is something wearing out on the connector sockets? Or manybe both.

JimLovewell said:

End of issue

Yes, I agree. I have already order the ITT from Leviton to replace the REMA plus cable.

I cannot help to wounder what is going bad in the REMA plug. It is bad workmanship (the wire crimps) or is something wearing out on the connector sockets? Or manybe both.

Defective crimps

JimLovewell said:
Does your car have a single 40 amp Tesla charger, or 80 amp "twin" chargers?

I am getting the "twin" chargers. Getting an additional 10KW of chargering for only $1500 is quite the deal compair to the cost of DC charging equipment.
Then why not get the Tesla EVSE ?

Back