Bridgestone EP422 tires swapped for Michelin Primacy MXV4s.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
EVDRIVER said:
Any verdict on the new Michelin Energy VS the Primacy? Pros/Cons? I believe there is a LRR version and non-LRR version of the Primacy as well. Looking to pull the trigger soon as there is a sale and the specs on these tires are confusing. MXM VS MXV?
I was wondering the same thing (MXM vs MXV). Sounds like TomT picked the MXV4 91Y over the MXM but others in this thread chose the MXM (which from what I can tell are more "performance" tires). But am I reading right that TomT got Y-rated MXV tires from Costco?

Also, is it worth the expense (if I don't NEED a second set of rims) to upgrade to 17" (Juke or other) wheels? Or can one get the MXM times in a 16" size that works for the Leaf? Costco shows a 91-H 16" MXM, but not the V-rated one sounds like it available in the 17" size...

Fortunately (or unfortunately) I'm only at 13K miles so I may have another year or two to suffer with the Ecopias unless I decide to upgrade sooner. Maybe I should consider selling my Ecopias to someone with shot tires on a lease return? :)

Correct, I got the Primacy MXV4s from Costco and am still very happy with them some 20,000 miles later. I decided on those over the MXMs as they had a longer warranty and looked like a better match to the Leaf... I believe that the MXV4s are being discontinued, if they have not been so already...

lemketron said:
Sounds like TomT picked the MXV4 over the MXM but others in this thread chose the MXM (which from what I can tell are more "performance" tires).

TomT said:
Correct, I got the Primacy MXV4s from Costco and am still very happy with them some 20,000 miles later. I decided on those over the MXMs as they had a longer warranty and looked like a better match to the Leaf... I believe that the MXV4s are being discontinued, if they have not been so already...

lemketron said:
Sounds like TomT picked the MXV4 91Y over the MXM but others in this thread chose the MXM (which from what I can tell are more "performance" tires).

Did you really get 91-Y ? I don't see those listed at Costco and that's a crazy high speed rating... Are you sure it wasn't V (or H)?

lemketron said:
EVDRIVER said:
Any verdict on the new Michelin Energy VS the Primacy? Pros/Cons? I believe there is a LRR version and non-LRR version of the Primacy as well. Looking to pull the trigger soon as there is a sale and the specs on these tires are confusing. MXM VS MXV?
I was wondering the same thing (MXM vs MXV). Sounds like TomT picked the MXV4 91Y over the MXM but others in this thread chose the MXM (which from what I can tell are more "performance" tires). But am I reading right that TomT got Y-rated MXV tires from Costco?

Also, is it worth the expense (if I don't NEED a second set of rims) to upgrade to 17" (Juke or other) wheels? Or can one get the MXM times in a 16" size that works for the Leaf? Costco shows a 91-H 16" MXM, but not the V-rated one sounds like it available in the 17" size...

Fortunately (or unfortunately) I'm only at 13K miles so I may have another year or two to suffer with the Ecopias unless I decide to upgrade sooner. Maybe I should consider selling my Ecopias to someone with shot tires on a lease return? :)

Well the Primacy HD is the lightest, the others are 1-2lbs over the Ecopia. Costco can't get the HD tire but tire rack has it.

TomT said:
No, they are 91H LRR. I don't know who stated Y...

lemketron said:
Did you really get 91-Y ? I don't see those listed at Costco and that's a crazy high speed rating... Are you sure it wasn't V (or H)?

You did, back on the first page of this thread, which is why I asked. :)

TomT said:
Michelin Primacy MXV4 from Costco in the 91Y version. I now have enough mileage on them and in both wet and dry conditions to make some observations...

Must be different MXV4s than the ones I got... Mine have a maximum sidewall pressure rating of 44 psi... I don't know what they actually weigh as I didn't care enough to weigh them...

EVDRIVER said:
MXV4- 21lbs 51 PSI $136

Sorry Primacy MXV4 is 23 lbs. 3 more than stock which is a big difference in unsprung weight. On the freeway this is not an issue but for in town is a hit. The Primacy MXV4 is the best performer of the lot with the MXVM in second. The HP is a cheaper OEM tire, The tires on the 2013 LEAF are Energy AS and are lower grade OEM tires.

It's easy to make a tire lighter when you have sidewalls the thickness and robustness of paper like the Ecrapias! :lol:

EVDRIVER said:
Sorry Primacy MXV4 is 23 lbs. 3 more than stock which is a big difference in unsprung weight. On the freeway this is not an issue but for in town is a hit. The Primacy MXV4 is the best performer of the lot with the MXVM in second. The HP is a cheaper OEM tire, The tires on the 2013 LEAF are Energy AS and are lower grade OEM tires.

TomT said:
It's easy to make a tire lighter when you have sidewalls the thickness and robustness of paper like the Ecrapias! :lol:

EVDRIVER said:

Yes, the Michelin is Primacy HP is the same as the Ecopia. How much of a difference did you see between stock and the MXV4, what was the biggest improvement now that you have more miles. Same observations as earlier?

The observations I first made back when still hold true today. And the tire is wearing spectacularly well. I would definitely buy it again.

EVDRIVER said:
TomT said:
EVDRIVER said:
Yes, the Michelin is Primacy HP is the same as the Ecopia. How much of a difference did you see between stock and the MXV4, what was the biggest improvement now that you have more miles. Same observations as earlier?

This thread got me thinking about how my stock tires won't make it to my 2 yr inspection, so I priced out some Michelin Defenders--supposedly a LRR "green" tire alternative to the MXV's. Not only are they cheaper, but they have a longer warranty (90k vs 60k).
Anybody put a set of these on their Leaf yet?

Stanton said:
This thread got me thinking about how my stock tires won't make it to my 2 yr inspection, so I priced out some Michelin Defenders--supposedly a LRR "green" tire alternative to the MXV's. Not only are they cheaper, but they have a longer warranty (90k vs 60k).
Anybody put a set of these on their Leaf yet?

Those are lower quality and performing tires compared to the Primacy MXV. The factory tires on the 2013 LEAF are also cheaper OEM tires.

This is why: UTQG: 820 A B
Very hard rubber with very mediocre traction...

Stanton said:

TomT said:

So that means what with respect to what? The stock tires on the Leaf or the Michelins? Also, wouldn't you want a LRR tire over a NON-LRR tire (when available)?

Stanton said:
TomT said:

So that means what with respect to what? The stock tires on the Leaf or the Michelins? Also, wouldn't you want a LRR tire over a NON-LRR tire (when available)?

Treadwear = 820, Traction = A, Temperature rating = B

By comparison, Ecopias are 400 A A

The MXV4 = 620 A A

So, traction is rated "A" for all 3. All else being equal, the Defenders have about double the treadwear as the Ecopias, the MXV4 falls in the middle. The Defenders have somewhat lower temperature rating than the other 2.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UTQG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back