Leasing in IL

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greengate

I have never leased a car in the past, but owned many. After reading all of the pros and cons regarding the lease or buy route, I am more inclined to lease a 2013, but have a few questions.

Someone here said the lease price is fixed by Nissan, so it can't be messed around with by the dealer.

Has anyone leased a 2013 in IL yet? (Probably not due to availability although the Nissan general manager here in my area told me they just received one a few days ago.)

Is there always a "down payment" and then the monthly amount? What is the down payment for and is it returned at the end of the lease? (As if this were a security deposit?) Aside from registration and license plates, are there any other charges?

Are there options on the length of the lease? (24/36/48/60 months.)

If one leases are you on the hook for the maintenance? If so, does all of it have to be performed at the Nissan dealer...or performed at all for that matter?

Please feel free to add to my request for information regarding leasing, as I may have missed a point or two!!

Thanks.

Negotiate price of car like you are going to buy and then say you want to lease at that price amount.

Try to put the least amount down(first Monty's payment) only and roll everything else like ttl and destination into the lea. Reason I say that is if the car gets totalled, you won't get that money you put down. Your payment mat go up some but it is a peace of mind for me, its up to you.The lease will include gap insurance by Nissan to cover car if totalled and you can walk away and get a new one free and clear.

Typical Nissan lease will be 24 or 39 months.

Check w your state, city, county for addtl rebates discounts for electric car.

If you lease 24 or 39 months, warranty work will be cover up to 36 months or 36k miles. Only maintenance required is yearly battery check done by dealer free on first year and rotate tires every 6 months /7,500 miles.

Please tell us your state,daily round trip so we can tell you if Leaf will work for your needs.

Good luck and let us k ow thw outcome.

Ian B

greengate said:
I have never leased a car in the past, but owned many. After reading all of the pros and cons regarding the lease or buy route, I am more inclined to lease a 2013, but have a few questions.

Someone here said the lease price is fixed by Nissan, so it can't be messed around with by the dealer.

Has anyone leased a 2013 in IL yet? (Probably not due to availability although the Nissan general manager here in my area told me they just received one a few days ago.)

Is there always a "down payment" and then the monthly amount? What is the down payment for and is it returned at the end of the lease? (As if this were a security deposit?) Aside from registration and license plates, are there any other charges?

Are there options on the length of the lease? (24/36/48/60 months.)

If one leases are you on the hook for the maintenance? If so, does all of it have to be performed at the Nissan dealer...or performed at all for that matter?

Please feel free to add to my request for information regarding leasing, as I may have missed a point or two!!

Thanks.

Anything specific to the Chicago area be sure to peruse the Chicagoland thread, specific to leasing in IL, just be sure that you're willing to give up the 10% MSRP cash rebate from the IL EPA as it's only available for purchased cars and not leased ones. Plus IL requires you to pay sales tax on the entire new car purchase, not just the the lease payments.

On the other hand, many have opted for leasing (not sure how many from IL on this forum have though, I bought mine) as to the uncertainty of resale values and eventual battery degredation, etc. The other positives are if you don't have $7,500 in fed tax liability, leasing is a the way to get the full amount (it goes back to Nissan) and represents a reduction in the capitalized cost.

Just like buying, you're responsible for maintenance but the LEAF doesn't need much, only thing you have to have the dealer perform is the annual battery check, you can get the other regular stuff (tire rotations, etc.) elsewhere or do it yourself.

Others who have leased can chime in on terms, etc. but up to forgoing the 10% rebate and paying full sales tax doesn't discourage you you might want to check purchase options as well.

Back