How To: Reverse Backup Camera for SV Model w/ OEM Telematics

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
asinclair said:
When looking at the plug connector, the wires to be tapped are on the right-hand side (looking at the pins) with the connector snap-in on top, correct?

I'm not Ramius, but maybe I can help. It appears to me that you are looking at the pins on the front side of the connector, when you should be looking at the wiring harness (back) side of the connector.

Note that near the middle of his description Ramius stated "With the connector facing away from you and the connector right side up and looking at the wires, you are going to remove both the right side upper and lower wires, which are red and black, terminals 59 and 60." (Emphasis mine.)

Also note that in Ramius' last graphic showing the connector along with the entire system diagram, the connector is labeled "M84 Connector Harness Side."

Perhaps Ramius will confirm whether or not my interpretation of this is correct.

FLBoy said:
asinclair said:
When looking at the plug connector, the wires to be tapped are on the right-hand side (looking at the pins) with the connector snap-in on top, correct?

I'm not Ramius, but maybe I can help. It appears to me that you are looking at the pins on the front side of the connector, when you should be looking at the wiring harness (back) side of the connector.

Note that near the middle of his description Ramius stated "With the connector facing away from you and the connector right side up and looking at the wires, you are going to remove both the right side upper and lower wires, which are red and black, terminals 59 and 60." (Emphasis mine.)

Also note that in Ramius' last graphic showing the connector along with the entire system diagram, the connector is labeled "M84 Connector Harness Side."

Perhaps Ramius will confirm whether or not my interpretation of this is correct.

FLBoy, that would make sense, I feel stupid for making that mistake. I think you are correct in what I did wrong. I will put this project on hold for a while, but come back to it when I have time to fix up all of my wiring mistakes I made this time and try it again...Thanks for the response.

asinclair said:
Ramius,

I attempted this upgrade yesterday and failed miserably. I started by tapping into the wires on the connector and connecting the rca cable (at this point I did not have the backup camera installed). When I started the car, I got an "i-key" failure warning and the headlights flashed.

I was hoping to see the screen turn blank waiting for a camera input when I put it in reverse, but it did not work...

I got spooked and ended up reversing all of the changes I made.

I think I am going to give this up before I screw up my wiring any further.

Andrew

Sorry for it not working your first time, but don't give up, trust me, it is easy.......

First, we are working on the harness/wire side of the connector, not the front/face of the connector. Looking from the back, on the bottom, three pins over from the right, is a black wire. Cut that wire about 2" from the connector. Then, on the wire coming out from the connector that you cut, ground that wire to the frame and tape off the other wire as it is not used anymore. Put everything back together loosely and put the car into RUN mode. Engage the parking brake and place into reverse. The screen should go black, the reference lines will be there. If so, then continue.

On the other two wires, cut those about 2" from the connector. On the wires that you cut coming from the harness, tape them separately and tape them off and away. Connect the top corner wire, # 59, to the center RCA prong and the lower corner wire, # 60, to the outside RCA prong.

Then, coming from the camera you bought, connect the power wire to the reverse lights and the ground wire to a ground.

WAH-LA, it will work........

If you have any questions, please take a picture of what you have done and I will help from there.

Man, I never thought it would be so difficult to find a camera that doesn't have the "distance lines" included.

Also, does anybody know the viewing angle of the OEM camera? It would be nice if we could choose a camera that had the same viewing angle.

garsh said:
Man, I never thought it would be so difficult to find a camera that doesn't have the "distance lines" included.

Also, does anybody know the viewing angle of the OEM camera? It would be nice if we could choose a camera that had the same viewing angle.

Many after-market cameras that do come with the reference lines have a looped wire that can be cut to eliminate the reference lines. My camera did have the lines, they were blue, but there was a looped blue wire that was labeled reference lines. I cut that and the lines are gone. I would contact a few of the sellers and see if they can look into the packaging and/or instructions and see if those other cameras are the same.

Compared to the "factory reverse camera Leafs" that come in, I think that my camera has about the same viewing angle, if not a little wider. However, after a few weeks of having this setup, I have noticed that the full night time night vision is not as good on this camera as it is on the OEM camera. I would try to find a very low Lux good night vision camera. Again, if I re-do any of this in the future, I will go for a better night vision camera and a pivot/swivel camera so exact aimming can be done easily.

Ramius83 said:
Many after-market cameras that do come with the reference lines have a looped wire that can be cut to eliminate the reference lines. My camera did have the lines, they were blue, but there was a looped blue wire that was labeled reference lines. I cut that and the lines are gone. I would contact a few of the sellers and see if they can look into the packaging and/or instructions and see if those other cameras are the same.
I bought one of these. I do not see any external looped wire. I wonder if I can open it up and find something internal?

Anyhow, I decided to go with a cheap camera for now. It shouldn't be too hard to swap out just the camera later if I want to upgrade.

garsh said:
I bought one of these. I do not see any external looped wire. I wonder if I can open it up and find something internal?
After opening it up, I found a small eeprom (24C08C). A little searching dug up this youtube video where somebody appears to say that they removed the chip to remove the lines (it's in Russian, and I was relying on Google translate). I decided to try cutting the power pin (VCC) on the chip, and that did the trick. No more built-in parking lines! :cool:

Hopefully I'll find some time this weekend to try hooking it up.

garsh said:
... I decided to try cutting the power pin (VCC) on the chip, and that did the trick. No more built-in parking lines! :cool: ...
I'd go ahead and remove the whole chip as was suggested. Leaving it like that will cause power to leak in and out of the chip's other pins. If you're lucky, either nothing will happen or the just the chip in question will get killed. If you're unlucky, other parts of the camera's electronics will fry after a while.

I finally got the camera installed.

The picture it's showing is mirrored the wrong way. The lines curve *away* from my direction of travel.

Sigh.

garsh said:
I finally got the camera installed.

The picture it's showing is mirrored the wrong way. The lines curve *away* from my direction of travel.

Sigh.

Can you take a picture of what you are talking about and post it up?

Is this after you modded the camera to eliminate the lines?

You can always disable the OEM lines and use the ones that came with the camera you bought.

After putting everything back together, I had a flashing airbag light. I assume this occurred because I was testing things out before putting the center console back on. These instructions worked perfectly for resetting that error.

I still need to figure out if there's a way to reverse my camera image. My camera was only $10, so it's not the end of the world if I need to buy another one.

Thanks Ramius83 for the detailed instructions on how to add the backup camera! I spent a lots of time on Google, and I'm so glad that I finally found this thread. The info on this thread is so valuable, and I really appreciate it!

Could you please do me a favour and take a picture of the Terminals diagram of the connector M84 from the service manual? Actually, you already put the partial image of the M84 Terminals diagram (the 7th picture), but the picture is cut off and it's not showing the info of the terminals 56, 59 and 60. Basically, I'm looking for the "Color of Wire" and "Signal Name" info (ie, the exact wordings from the service manual) of the terminals 56, 59 and 60.

The reason I'm asking is that I'm going to install a backup camera on my 2011 Nissan Maxima, but I want to find its corresponding terminals "56, 59 60" on the Maxima. I think I found the terminals, but I just want to make sure they are the right wires before I start taking apart the centre console.

Thanks very much for your help.

Thanks for posting this. We installed a camera today and had 2 issues, I'm wondering if you may be familiar with either.

2013 Nissan Leaf
Camera: Advent(audiovox) ACA400

1. The camera worked fine at our shop after install. When delivered back to customer the camera image did not always appear. When put into reverse the screen would go black and you could see the grid lines but no image 5 out of 10 times. (The battery was getting low)

2. When demoing to the customer, we had drivers door open while the vehicle was in reverse. When we closed the door lines would appear on the camera image for about a second then go away. It happens every time you push the door pin switch in. I realize most normal people close their door before putting the car in reverse but it made the customer question if it was going to cause issues down the road.

Hi I have the 2013 SL model without the all around view. I want to put a rear camera. I want to know if I would have to use the same cables (56,59, and 60) and is there a possibility to put up a front camera as well

Thanks,

Svil

Ramius83 said:
garsh said:
Ramius83, what make & model camera did you use?

I used an Audiovox ACA500 camera kit that I got from American Radio here in Roswell, GA. If you get a different camera that has fixed guidelines that you cannot remove, you can disable the Telematics sweeping guidelines from the settings.

If I were to do this again, I think I would use an adjustable/swivel cameras so that I could point it upwards more. I am seeing too much of the lower handle area. I am going to make a small wedge piece that goes between the camera and the hatch to angle it a bit more up.

If not, you can always put it above the tag and angle it to catch the top portion of the bumper for a reference to objects.

Ramius83. I just picked up my 2013 Leaf SV and I love your mod...thanks.
By any chance did you ever find a camera with better night vision, with adjustable/swivel camera and ideally one can be mounted on the license plate. I would appreciate any recommendations.

We just brought our new Leaf SL (2013) home last night and loved everything about it - except were bummed to find out there was no backup camera! Apparently it is correct that you have to spring for the $2500 Bose / all-around view upgrade to get a backup camera at all.

I have asked the dealer to look into the possibility of adding an OEM camera - and see that a 2012 camera and latch is available from nissanpartswarehouse.com for about $500. I am concerned about the possible lack of wiring, however. I may pull the handle off and see if there is a wire there. I guess the NAV should be able to handle the camera hookup but I don't like the idea of messing with the pins.

If anyone comes up with anything, I'd love to hear it!

Brian

outermostleaf said:
I am concerned about the possible lack of wiring, however. I may pull the handle off and see if there is a wire there.
If the 2012SV is any indication, there won't be any wires. You'll have to run them yourself.

garsh said:
outermostleaf said:
I am concerned about the possible lack of wiring, however. I may pull the handle off and see if there is a wire there.
If the 2012SV is any indication, there won't be any wires. You'll have to run them yourself.

I am hoping the 2013 will be different because of the different packages of options - I have to pry the car away from my wife long enough to find out. The dealer is supposed to be pulling the handle off of one of theirs to check for me as well. I will let everyone know what we find out.

Back