Official EV Project / Ecotality / free charger thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
steeve said:
... They do say that they *must* change the breaker to 40A and the outlet to something else (I can't find those technical details on the Blink WE-30CKRE that they will install...L6-20?).

Anyway, it's a free EVSE, so I won't complain! :mrgreen:
I'm not surprised. The Blink calls for a 40a circuit, and there's nothing served by using a 50a breaker except less protection for the EVSE. The important thing is that the circuit wiring is good for 50a and if you need that extra capacity in the future, you can change the breaker back. The plug that comes with the Blink is a Nema 6-50. It would be possible to change the plug rather than the outlet, but I can see why they would want to change the outlet instead. It pays when dealing with inspectors to toe the line, and match what they're used to seeing.

steeve said:
They do say that they *must* change the breaker to 40A and the outlet to something else (I can't find those technical details on the Blink WE-30CKRE that they will install...L6-20?).

They install a NEMA 6-50R. The Blink for internal use has a NEMA 6-50P on it.

Good to hear from steeve and bronsonb that they got their equipment installed so economically. I am in GA as well and my quote for installing my Blink is $1242, so after the $650 credit, $592 out of pocket. The electrician needs to run a new 240V 40 amp (or is it 50 amp, not sure) line out to my garage (along basement ceiling, about 10-15 feet from my panel) and then a conduit maybe 20 feet so that it will be installed at the back of my garage so it can be used from either bay in the garage. That's with no panel upgrade needed.

I tried to work on the price but didn't get anywhere unless I wanted the Blink located in a bad spot in my garage.

Based on others' experiences, I feel like I'm in the category of those being charged a high price for this installation--someone taking some profit from the government incentive. But like others have said, it is cheaper than do it myself so this is still the best option.

What I really wonder is whether long-term, level 1 charging might prolong battery life as compared to level 2 charging and be a better deal. I have found that level 1 charging takes less time than advertised. But nonetheless, level 2 seems prudent.

I created a 8gauge adapter plug to convert the Nema 6-50P to a 10-30P. 1-3Ft 8guauge 3 wire, a 10-30P (old dryer plug) on one end and the 6-50R in a waterproof box on the other. Allows me to plug in at friends house/relatives if I travel outside my 70mile range and take the EVSE with me. you can create any kind of adapter (with electrical expierence and background or I'd suggest buying a premade one online) Knowing the car pulls very little, I used 12/3 (50ft) yes its small, but the car wont pull more then the 12amps with the plugs and recepticles above to charge at one friends house. after 8 hrs, no change in wire temp, no issues. I will be modifying the cable (and upload pics soon) with thinker wire with additional custom adapters.

As far as the Blinks supplied plug, it is possible to Hard-wire (as most installs require) or make a different plug for it. I personally just prefer to use my adapter plugs if a differe supply souce is needed.

Hello, I just leased my Leaf and qualify for the project. I am in GA also, and it's good to know that even if the estimate comes in more expensive it's probably the best way to go. Seems almost too good to be true, you know?

My dealer and the EV project only said that I would get a $400 credit on the installation. What would be the reason for that instead of $650? I am leasing a 2012 SL.

mazdaboi said:
I created a 8gauge adapter plug to convert the Nema 6-50P to a 10-30P. 1-3Ft 8guauge 3 wire, a 10-30P (old dryer plug) on one end and the 6-50R in a waterproof box on the other. Allows me to plug in at friends house/relatives if I travel outside my 70mile range and take the EVSE with me. you can create any kind of adapter (with electrical expierence and background or I'd suggest buying a premade one online) Knowing the car pulls very little, I used 12/3 (50ft) yes its small, but the car wont pull more then the 12amps with the plugs and recepticles above to charge at one friends house. after 8 hrs, no change in wire temp, no issues. I will be modifying the cable (and upload pics soon) with thinker wire with additional custom adapters.

As far as the Blinks supplied plug, it is possible to Hard-wire (as most installs require) or make a different plug for it. I personally just prefer to use my adapter plugs if a differe supply souce is needed.

I also recently made an adapter for my L2 charging station (mines a Siemens with plug). 14-x0P to 6-50R but I did it inside the plug instead of a[nother] cable. I'll only post a couple pics here but you can see the rest here:http://s60.beta.photobucket.com/user/1234567890_a/library/Outlet Adapter

I had to do a lot of cutting to get it to fit the way i wanted it to... I'm talking hours because I took my time and there's plenty to cut, even then its still not great- I ended up cutting and heating the hook on the end just to get the thing together. Obviously this shouldn't be used on 'anything' as it allows you to plug a 50A [something] into a lower amp outlet, who knows what wiring is behind that outlet, could be 6 gauge, prob isn't... That being said, the Seimens unit allows me to select what current i want to limit it to, 25%, 50%, 75% or 100% of the max (30A). So i can easily limit draw to whatever outlet is available...

P1010698_zps13e62a18.jpg

P1010733_zps7e6ac0ae.jpg

sling said:
I also recently made an adapter for my L2 charging station (mines a Siemens with plug). 14-x0P to 6-50R but I did it inside the plug instead of a[nother] cable. I'll only post a couple pics here but you can see the rest here:http://s60.beta.photobucket.com/user/1234567890_a/library/Outlet Adapter

I had to do a lot of cutting to get it to fit the way i wanted it to... I'm talking hours because I took my time and there's plenty to cut, even then its still not great- I ended up cutting and heating the hook on the end just to get the thing together. Obviously this shouldn't be used on 'anything' as it allows you to plug a 50A [something] into a lower amp outlet, who knows what wiring is behind that outlet, could be 6 gauge, prob isn't... That being said, the Seimens unit allows me to select what current i want to limit it to, 25%, 50%, 75% or 100% of the max (30A). So i can easily limit draw to whatever outlet is available...]

Nice adapter. Ill have to take some photos of my setup and plug/wire extension tomorrow. I did some temp wire nuts to test it out (as it has only been used 2x) planning on using Nema L6-30's. The BLINK unit also automatically selects the highest amperage from the supplied power which is nice.

PROGRAM IS ENDING SOON...according to their Twitter Feed.

No additional information is available besides apply now.

On a side note, since my EVProject Blink EVSE was installed, i have had ZERO contact with ECOtalility over the project, half the time my EVSE is down cause of my poor Verizon WiFi connection...and I would think because they may not be recieving all my data/information from the unit i would be contacted.... Guess not. Are they just installing, receiving what information they can and just forgetting about the units? Probbally...This is just my honest opinion. But I like it this way, no annoyance from the program

Actually I went on their website and it stated they are no longer accepting applications as of 1/31/13. My dealer was trying to push me a month ago to pull the trigger on a remaining 2012, but I really need the extra range of the 2013 for my 60 mile, 97% highway commute.

Phatcat73 said:
Actually I went on their website and it stated they are no longer accepting applications as of 1/31/13. My dealer was trying to push me a month ago to pull the trigger on a remaining 2012, but I really need the extra range of the 2013 for my 60 mile, 97% highway commute.

link?

I applied two weeks ago and have an electrician coming out for the initial assessment on Thursday. Kind of nervous because the people that lived in the house before me did some janky crap with the electrical. I'll have my brother in law who's an electrician there on Thursday for the consult.

PlutoISaPlanet said:
I applied two weeks ago and have an electrician coming out for the initial assessment on Thursday. Kind of nervous because the people that lived in the house before me did some janky crap with the electrical. I'll have my brother in law who's an electrician there on Thursday for the consult.
I wouldn't worry too much. The guy coming out is just going to look at the panel to check on capacity to handle the additional load, and the physical situation to see how hard it will be to run the circuit. He's not going to inspect the whole house.

However, if there's "janky crap" in your electrical, that would make me nervous for other reasons. I'd call another electrician to come out and fix it. Who wants a fire because some idiot tried to save a couple of bucks?

Our EV Project Residential Participation Agreement is terming out soon. There's an opportunity to extend it through the end of this year. Ecotality says nothing on original contract would be changed with the extension, just the new termination date.
The Pros would be that they could still collect data and the warranty will be extended until then. Any cons or additional pros?
I wonder how the Ecotality and Chargepoint partnership might affect things.
I also wonder what other participatants did/plan to do... let it expire or renew...
TIA.

GoingGreener said:
Our EV Project Residential Participation Agreement is terming out soon. There's an opportunity to extend it through the end of this year. Ecotality says nothing on original contract would be changed with the extension, just the new termination date.
The Pros would be that they could still collect data and the warranty will be extended until then. Any cons or additional pros?
I wonder how the Ecotality and Chargepoint partnership might affect things too.
TIA.

I extended towards the end of last year until the end of this.

That's it. No other changes from my perspective. They provide free maintenance until the end of the year in return for collecting more data. Since we have already agreed to sharing our data up to now, I don't see a downside at all.

JPWhite said:
GoingGreener said:
I wonder how the Ecotality and Chargepoint partnership might affect things too.
TIA.

I extended towards the end of last year until the end of this.

That's it. No other changes from my perspective. They provide free maintenance until the end of the year in return for collecting more data. Since we have already agreed to sharing our data up to now, I don't see a downside at all.

I thought the con was their new revised agreement.

Thanks JPWhite. Was thinking the same.

EVDriver - Seems like the previous "revisions" such as "unilateral" changes, etc... aren't required anymore.

Back