I want my 281!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello,
I'm in Portland with my 19k mile 2011 model and I would like to participate in your range test. I do not have a gid meter though but would love to find out what my pack reports.

Don T

drees said:
So I finally assembled my LeafCAN over the weekend and am able to read GID counts. Here's what I've found after a couple 80% charges over the last 2 days and a 100% charge today (charged to 100% manually after charging to 80% on timer):

80% charge: 213 GID, 387V
100% charge: 260 GID, 394V

The 80-100% charge took 1h 11m and 3.986 kWh according to the Blink, but I didn't check today's 80% GID count to see if it matched the previous 2 days.

Appears a bit better than what the battery life model predicts - perhaps because of the cool weather? My seat-of-the-pants estimate of capacity is closer to the degradation model's estinate.

Are we collecting GID count database anywhere?
If there is a database, I think it would be handy not only to note the Gid count at "full" but what the car's SOC (0x5bc message) is.. I've seen 281 Gids 4 times now and each time it was at 95.4% SOC.. But I also frequently see 278 Gids @ 94.6%, 279 Gids @ 94.8%, and 280 Gids @ 95.1-95.2%... This leads me to think the car's health isn't changing at all, merely how "full" full is.. So knowing X Gids @ Z SOC is better than just X Gids at "full".

Greg, I thought 281 is 100% BC. My 2011 read 100% BC only once with my LEAF SGII, but my 2013 reads only 95% now when fully charged. Something seems really different.

LEAFfan said:
Greg, I thought 281 is 100% BC. My 2011 read 100% BC only once with my LEAF SGII, but my 2013 reads only 95% now when fully charged. Something seems really different.

281 Gids is considered a healthy, balanced battery at moderate temperature and capability.. There have been reports of some cars getting to 282 or 283 Gids and many otherwise perfectly healthy cars only charge to 278 or 279 Gids. As you put a few cycles on your new car you should get closer to 281. That's why it's important to see the car's SOC in the 0x5bc CAN message because full is not always full. When you say 95%, what do you mean? The car's 0x5bc SOC message? Gids/2.81? The new 2013 percentage display? These are all likely different things.. Gids and Gid% (Gid/2.81) are NOT SOC, but can be used to find SOH (state of health) if SOC is known.

LEAFfan said:
My gauge doesn't have the raw number/Gids, just %. When the car's dash SoC is 100%, my gauge reads 95.0%.

Your gauge is reading the SOC percent; 95% of 24kWh, or about 22.8kWh stored, which is close to normal for a fully charged new condition LEAF. It should go down to about 2% at battery cut-off.

TonyWilliams said:
LEAFfan said:
My gauge doesn't have the raw number/Gids, just %. When the car's dash SoC is 100%, my gauge reads 95.0%.

Your gauge is reading the SOC percent; 95% of 24kWh, or about 22.8kWh stored, which is close to normal for a fully charged new condition LEAF. It should go down to about 2% at battery cut-off.

Yeah, but why when with the other car it read BC, not SoC. Now, it never reads beyond 95%, but before it would read BC as high as 100%.

LEAFfan said:
If it's the same number that you've seen at 100% in the past then it's not the 0x5bc message which never reaches 100%. It's probably Gids/2.81 which means you saw 281 once on your old car and likely readings close to it but are only getting 267 Gids now for whatever reason. Hopefully after a few "full" charges that will creep up towards 100% (ie 281 Gids). The display in the car will presumably always show 100% at the end of a full charge... (I don't have a 2013 so I don't know the scale between the 2013 SOC display and the 0x5bc message) The highest 0x5bc SOC I've seen is 95.4% which was 281 Gids.

What percentage was your 2011 showing on a full charge last time you checked it?

GregH said:
LEAFfan said:
If it's the same number that you've seen at 100% in the past then it's not the 0x5bc message which never reaches 100%. It's probably Gids/2.81 which means you saw 281 once on your old car and likely readings close to it but are only getting 267 Gids now for whatever reason. Hopefully after a few "full" charges that will creep up towards 100% (ie 281 Gids). The display in the car will presumably always show 100% at the end of a full charge... (I don't have a 2013 so I don't know the scale between the 2013 SOC display and the 0x5bc message) The highest 0x5bc SOC I've seen is 95.4% which was 281 Gids.

What percentage was your 2011 showing on a full charge last time you checked it?

80%

LEAFfan said:
TonyWilliams said:
LEAFfan said:

Yeah, but why when with the other car it read BC, not SoC. Now, it never reads beyond 95%, but before it would read BC as high as 100%.

I don't know, however, I do know that we frequently confuse all the MANY values that we use on this forum. I've posted this several times. If we stick to the same terms, I suspect we will communicate better:

SOC% - "kWh usable" --Gid----Gid%---Gid2%---2013 dash % (2013 dash % data based on SOC%, not Gids)
95.x% -21.0--Full----281---100%---100%----100% (non-degraded at 70F; 21kWh usable)
------10.5--Half----144--51.2%----50%----50% (non-degraded at 70F; 10.5kWh usable)
95.x%-10.5--Full***--144--51.2%----50%----100% (***used 50% degraded at 70F; 10.5kWh usable)
------ 3.2---LBW----49---17.4%---15.3%----17%
------ 1.3---VLB----24----8.6%-----6.2%----8%
2.x%-- 0.0---Turtle --7-----2.5%-----0%-----(---)

Hello,
Dan came by this AM and plugged a GID meter into my Leaf.

Drum roll please..............

279 GIDs 394 Volts 99.3% - temp 46* batt temp=4 bars

I charged to 100% the last 2 days, with timers off, and I think it did a cell balance routine this AM about 6 hours after charge completion.
I'm a happy camper after 2 years and 20k miles. (provided GIDs means what we think it does).

bowthom said:
Hello,
Dan came by this AM and plugged a GID meter into my Leaf.

Drum roll please..............

279 GIDs 394 Volts 99.3% - temp 46* batt=4bars

I charged to 100% the last 2 days, with timers off, and I think it did a cell balance routine this AM about 6 hours after charge completion.
I'm a happy camper after 2 years and 20k miles. (provided GIDs means what we think it does).

have it checked this Summer. my LEAF is doing the same thing (average reading 276-277) after averaging 267-268 last October when it was still in the 70's.

my "seat of the pants, completely uncontrolled general real life driving" seems to verify a small loss of range like 5% or so give or take a point

I convinced my wife to do a parallel driving test today. I wanted to change the back tires from the new Leaf to the frond of the old one. I was able to use the hydraulic jack that I bought to remove one back tire on the new Leaf put the car on a stand, but the jack was too tall for the front on the old Leaf. It was late Thursday evening so I had to give up that part of the test. All tires at 42 PSI.
The good part was that I convinced my daughter to join the mom in the same car to ... balance the weight ;) .

Before the test the old Leaf was in the garage at 50-55F for 3 days at 80%. I took it for a 10 miles drive yesterday evening before attempting to change the tire. For the last three days the new Leaf was parked outside during the day for 11 hours and charged to 80% every evening and stayed in the garage overnight. Outside temperature was 45-50F in the morning and 55-60 by afternoon when I drove it home. There was no shade were I parked and we actually had some sun. I believe the battery temperatures were closed enough, or maybe the old Leaf was a bit cooler.
This morning at 5:00 AM I started to charge the new Leaf at 100%, and at 6:30AM to charge the old Leaf to 100%. It reached 100% at 7:55.

Around 9:40 we left with old Leaf at 280 GID and the new one at 278 GID. We drove to Woodburn for 53.8 miles and the old Leaf averaged 4.7 miles/kWh and dropped to 124 GID, the new Leat averaged 4.4 miles/kWh and dropped to 119 GID. My wife and daughter did one hour of shopping :roll:, it was part of the deal.

When we left the new Leaf was at 120 GID. We reached the chargers on Electric Ave just after the VLBW with a total of 83.9 miles. The old Leaf was reading 21 GID and the new one 25 GID. New Leaf average when up to 4.5 while old Leaf dropped to 4.6 miles/kWh. I wanted to keep driving around downtown a bit to see the turtle, but my wife was very nervous, ... she had never seen the "---" until today.

I will have to get the CarWings data on the regen, but we were constantly on the phone matching speeds, charge bars, growing the trees, and the "efficiency" indicator around the tree.

Both cars lost the first bar about the same time, but than the new Leaf first lost the second and third bar. At the low end the old Leaf lost first the 11th and 12th bar. The first grown three was completed with in seconds on both cars and the dial above the tree was in the same position on the both cars most of the time.

Unless the regen data show high differences or if between VLB and turtle there is high differences between the cars, I would have to say that the cars are with in 1.5% from each other.

camasleaf said:
Unless the regen data show high differences or if between VLB and turtle there is high differences between the cars, I would have to say that the cars are with in 1.5% from each other.
Impressive! Sounds like Washington has the perfect climate! at least for the batteries.

camasleaf said:
...Unless the regen data show high differences or if between VLB and turtle there is high differences between the cars, I would have to say that the cars are with in 1.5% from each other.

Great test!

I think you probably have to call that a statistical tie, given the inability to precisely control all variables in a range test .

So, maybe LEAF batteries in the PNW and other "cool" climates will last a very long time, and through a very large number of charge cycles?

And, as you mentioned, unless something unexpected shows up in your CW regen and/or total kWh use numbers, I may have to reconsider what I thought might have been more than a ~few-percent increase in my own LEAF's efficiency (from stiffer tires? or reduced drive-train friction?) over the last ~20 months and ~13 k miles.

batteryproblemmnl
Thanks for sharing this, camasleaf. Please consider participating in the Plug In America LEAF battery survey, if you haven't done that already. Could you post the manufacturing date for both vehicles as well? Very glad to hear that both of your LEAFs are doing well. Please keep the board updated, TaylorSFguy started to notice some loss of range at 50K, and estimates that his LEAF could be down 15% after about 70K miles in the near-ideal Seattle climate.

UewzI9

surfingslovak said:
batteryproblemmnl
Thanks for sharing this, camasleaf. Please consider participating in the Plug In America LEAF battery survey, if you haven't done that already. Could you post the manufacturing date for both vehicles as well? Very glad to hear that both of your LEAFs are doing well. Please keep the board updated, TaylorSFguy started to notice some loss of range at 50K, and estimates that his LEAF could be down 15% after about 70K miles in the near-ideal Seattle climate.

UewzI9

+1 on the test results! pretty sure he is already on the list. We "WA'ers" try to do our part!

how about a breakdown summary of the trip concerning speeds, distance at that speed and any other notables like hills or whatever

"drove X miles @ 60 mph" with side notes like hills, etc.

Back