Official EV Project / Ecotality / free charger thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That just leaves them keeping ownership for the extra time...Which could be a problem if unforeseen circumstances (totaling your LEAF, changing jobs and needing to relocate) cause you to have to leave the project. They were willing to waive that for me, so I'm extended but still own it if I up and decide I just gotta trade in for a Tesla. :cool:

GoingGreener said:
Thanks JPWhite. Was thinking the same.

EVDriver - Seems like the previous "revisions" such as "unilateral" changes, etc... aren't required anymore.

I guess ridiculous contracts were not working for them so they had to find a new tactic like the Charge Point deal.

Estimate on my install came back at nearly $1,000. Upgrading my panel to 125Amp from 100 and replacing some unshielded wires going into the main panel along with the install itself.

davewill said:
That just leaves them keeping ownership for the extra time...Which could be a problem if unforeseen circumstances (totaling your LEAF, changing jobs and needing to relocate) cause you to have to leave the project. They were willing to waive that for me, so I'm extended but still own it if I up and decide I just gotta trade in for a Tesla. :cool:

True, and thanks. Good points as we never know if we might want to relocate (Happy to hear suggestions on great high schools and summer programs in the bay area!). Wow, a waiver, was it easy to ask for?

Did you get your Tesla :)? Our college kid was driving behind a gray one in SD last week... also had parked under the solar panels at the Center for Sustainable Energy (I think where the nice people had sent us our CA check for $2,500 :) ). So very happy kids are more aware about sustainable living! :) :) :)

EVDRIVER said:
GoingGreener said:
Thanks JPWhite. Was thinking the same.

EVDriver - Seems like the previous "revisions" such as "unilateral" changes, etc... aren't required anymore.

I guess ridiculous contracts were not working for them so they had to find a new tactic like the Charge Point deal.

This collaboration surprised me. Wonder if the Chargepoint card/activity will stay separate. We had to update our credit card (expired) on file for our Blink card. I'm not sure if that's why we had a problem fast charging at Belmont, CA, this weekend or if the station was just not giving us what we asked for the 1st time.

PlutoISaPlanet said:
Estimate on my install came back at nearly $1,000. Upgrading my panel to 125Amp from 100 and replacing some unshielded wires going into the main panel along with the install itself.

What will be your "out of pocket"? If you decide to "go" on this, seems like you made it in the program "just in time". Good luck!

GoingGreener said:
davewill said:
True, and thanks. Good points as we never know if we might want to relocate (Happy to hear suggestions on great high schools and summer programs in the bay area!). Wow, a waiver, was it easy to ask for?

Did you get your Tesla :)?
Yes, it was as easy as asking for it. They emailed me a waiver, and I signed and sent it back. Of course this was before I re-upped. A Tesla? :lol: The LEAF was expensive enough.

GoingGreener said:
What will be your "out of pocket"? If you decide to "go" on this, seems like you made it in the program "just in time". Good luck!

I meant nearly $1,000 out of pocket. The $400 install credit got eaten up quick.

Probably with your electrician brother-in-law there for the consult, you got a fair deal. It'll be nice that everything's done right.
In our area the EV Project allowed $1,200 for the install. We had $300+ out-of-pocket. But, we did ask to future-proof... 50A 8/3 ground wire, 40A breaker.

^Yes. In case we need a higher current for future designs, replacing breakers and sockets won't be expensive, but to re-run heavier gauge wires & permitting will.

Kroger grocery stores just anounced they're installing over 200 level 2 stations as well as more than 2 dozen quick chargers

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-04-08/ecotality-to-install-225-electric-car-chargers-at-kroger-stores.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I wonder if this includes the west coast sister Corporation we know as Ralphs groceries. Probably not.

hill said:
Kroger grocery stores just anounced they're installing over 200 level 2 stations as well as more than 2 dozen quick chargers

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-04-08/ecotality-to-install-225-electric-car-chargers-at-kroger-stores.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I wonder if this includes the west coast sister Corporation we know as Ralphs groceries. Probably not.

Great News!! Thanks for sharing.

Their newsletter claims to add to several areas in your area so maybe Ralphs is included.

hill said:

I received this e-mail from ECOtality. I think the key information is "...Kroger to install over 200 Blink charging stations, including 25 DC Fast Chargers, at 125 locations in several key markets including Phoenix, San Diego and Los Angeles. These stations are in addition to 60 already installed in Oregon and Washington, and 14 in Texas." I am very happy to see Phoenix listed. I kind of wince whenever I see the gas stations that take up room in the Fry's (Kroger) parking lots. Now there will be equal opportunity for EV drivers.

ECOtality and Kroger Announce Expansion of EV Partnership

Expanded partnership brings charging stations to Kroger stores in several key markets across the country

San Francisco and Cincinnati — Monday, April 8, 2013 — ECOtality, Inc., a leader in clean electric transportation and storage technologies (NASDAQ:ECTY), and The Kroger Co. (NYSE: KR) today announced an expanded partnership including over 200 level 2 (quick charge) charging stations, and 25 DC Fast Chargers, to be installed across key markets through the EV Project. This multimillion dollar expansion will bring the total number of Blink chargers at the Kroger Family of Stores to almost 300.

“As plug-in electric and hybrid cars are becoming more popular with our customers, we are pleased to offer the convenience of electric vehicle charging stations at more of our stores in markets with the highest demand,” said Keith Dailey, Kroger spokesperson. “Kroger is excited to contribute to the growth of this national network.”

“Retailers across the country are quickly realizing the benefits of installing our Blink chargers. Independent research shows that Blink card holders routinely reward these establishments with more time in their stores and repeat business,” stated Ravi Brar, CEO of ECOtality Inc. “Kroger not only recognizes this value, but continues to show its commitment to be a leader in sustainability for the food retail industry. We are thrilled that the nation’s largest supermarket chain, Kroger, chose to expand its EV charging station roll-out with Blink.”

Details of the agreement include a $1.5 million investment by Kroger to install over 200 Blink charging stations, including 25 DC Fast Chargers, at 125 locations in several key markets including Phoenix, San Diego and Los Angeles. These stations are in addition to 60 already installed in Oregon and Washington, and 14 in Texas.

got mine installed today. It's not powered up yet until SDG&E comes out and commissions the second meter for it or until I just put some jumpers in it myself :twisted:

It's a lot freakin bigger than I thought it'd be.

Hi, I'm fairly new here and this thread is at least a couple of years old. Are there any CURRENT incentives for in-house installation/purchase of EVSE in CA and San Diego in particular?
I couldn't find anything other than 30% tax credit on equipment itself:
http://driveclean.ca.gov/pev/incentive_detail.php?id=117&iframe=true&width=500&height=100" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;%

Would love to know if anyone is aware of any free (or highly discounted) charging stations/installation options at this time.

BestPal said:
Hi, I'm fairly new here and this thread is at least a couple of years old. Are there any CURRENT incentives for in-house installation/purchase of EVSE in CA and San Diego in particular?
I couldn't find anything other than 30% tax credit on equipment itself:
http://driveclean.ca.gov/pev/incentive_detail.php?id=117&iframe=true&width=500&height=100" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;%

Would love to know if anyone is aware of any free (or highly discounted) charging stations/installation options at this time.

did u find anything?

Nothing available via EVProject/Ecotality. However the tax credit is still available to claim at the end of the year for your 2013 taxes. So you purchase a unit and install it...youll get a 30% credit. I paid $1100 installation for my BLINK/EV unit last year and got $305 on credit added to my taxes. Not bad IMO. But it was a Free Unit (with 3 year commitment to transmit data) still cant complain.

Look through online retailers, google, amazon, etc and there are plenty of L2 EVSE's for under $1000. Depending on location of your electrical panel and where the unit will be installed will depend on a professional installation cost (of course) but for anyone who has a little bit of electical experience, id install it myself...as i did when i re-located my BLINK unit to my new house. It was very simple.

This probably won't apply to you since you already have a LEAF, but for others...There is a CEC grant to get a free AV EVSE and a standard installation, but you have to apply for the grant when you buy the car. They open each month by putting so many units on the block and once they're gone, they're gone. Then the next month they put more of them out there...

http://evsolutions.avinc.com/products/cec/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back