I want my 281!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for that information! So knowing the capacity loss you could massage the SoC% to better represent usable fuel, and should be the same as % of 281 right?

Depending upon how the car senses, calibrates, and develops the SOC,
Pack Capacity, and GID value estimates,...

Yes, they should estimate basically the same quantity, related to the fuel on board.
The SOC x Capacity might be close, or more (or less) accurate,
but unlikely to be exactly the same as the GID% value.

The 281 GID value is not arbitrary, even though it was originally
obtained through observations.

Notice that the 282 value (only rarely observed) is 94% of 300,
and 300 x 80 watt-hours (Nissan's stated value) = 24,000 (24 kWh).

Well this was fun.

My UK Leaf has been with us now for just over 2 years, and we've covered nearly 35,000 miles in it. It's currently covering 80 miles (ish) a day, including one rapid charge per day to 90 percent.

My friend Mark dropped by today with the homemade GID meter he and his partner have been working on. We plugged it into my Leaf and took a look.

Here's what we discovered: a GID of 278!

BH06oHOCYAEvn_Z.jpg

2 Years, a bunch of rapid charging (too many to count) and nearly 35,000 miles. And the UK climate has been kind to it. Only a 1% loss in capacity! :)

Nikki.

Proof once again that, particularly without a TMS, it is all about location!

aminorjourney said:
2 Years, a bunch of rapid charging (too many to count) and nearly 35,000 miles. And the UK climate has been kind to it. Only a 1% loss in capacity!

TomT said:
Proof once again that, particularly without a TMS, it is all about location!

aminorjourney said:
2 Years, a bunch of rapid charging (too many to count) and nearly 35,000 miles. And the UK climate has been kind to it. Only a 1% loss in capacity!

Absolutely! I'll admit, we haven't had a hot summer now for about 3 years. 2011 and 2012 were both relatively cool, with average temperatures rarely above 70 degrees F. In fact, I'd be surprised if my Leaf has ever experienced temperatures above 80 degrees -- except in the paint booth before the battery pack was even fitted!

Rolled into 15K miles/13 months yesterday and my 100% Gids this morning was 255. That is about 10% degradation. And I am betting around 5% of that happened even before I bought the car from the dealers lot which I believe it sat for nearly 6 months (during winter time though) mostly at 100% charge.

I have to admit that I babied the car for two months during peak summer here in Dallas, by charging it outside during night time, and not driving it around during a few weeks of 100F+ days. But I am glad I did that, because it is helping me on my new 70 miles round trip commute, which I am sure I could not be doing it, if I had not been taking extra care during those peak summer months.

Hi y'all. First post in about a year, I recon.

I had my 281 back when my LEAF was new, and wrote about it extensively.
Today, after 24,000 miles and two years, I max out at 233. That's 83% of original capacity.

Every morning my LEAF promises about 89 miles, and gets Low Battery after around 45 miles of typical driving.
I've met slow learners, but this range guess-meter takes the cake.

GroundLoop said:

Today, after 24,000 miles and two years, I max out at 233. That's 83% of original capacity.

Every morning my LEAF promises about 89 miles, and gets Low Battery after around 45 miles of typical driving.

wow, that is a lot. where are you located?

I usually get anywhere from 105 to 118 miles estimated in the morning in Eco mode which is the only mode I ever use besides neutral

DaveinOlyWA said:
GroundLoop said:

I usually get anywhere from 105 to 118 miles estimated in the morning in Eco mode which is the only mode I ever use besides neutral

Yowza, that is really bad.

What sort of roads do you drive on?

caplossmnl
DaveinOlyWA said:
GroundLoop said:

San Diego?

GroundLoop said:

I'm at 28,000 with the same Gid count, and I get an easy 60 miles before LBW. So your issue has to be down to either driving style; terrain; or maybe both.

FWIW, due to the disparity between Gids and true SOC, 233 Gids is actually around 87% of original capacity based on SOC.

SOC has very little (or "nothing") to do with Capacity.

No matter what the capacity, charge to full and you get about 95% SOC,
or charge to 80% and you get near 80% SOC, assuming normal temperatures.
But, you could have 30% capacity loss.

GroundLoop said:

My experience with my first Leaf was very much like this. I think I could hit about 240 after 18k miles. And I never let it sit near full although did let it sit at 80% (which we now know is not all that different from "full"). I also didn't pay much attention to the temperature (being in Coastal SoCal) although for over half of 2012 it was common to see 6 temp bars. Only once did I see 7 on a summer day in Fontana with ambient temps over 100F. Now that I can see pack temperature I'm trying to keep it under 25C (ie 5 bars). I know that will be a challenge in the coming months..

Can you imagine the uproar that would occur if ICE owners were told that they had to keep the gas tank under 25C or it would shrink and they'd loose capacity :lol: ???

GregH said:
Now that I can see pack temperature I'm trying to keep it under 25C (ie 5 bars). I know that will be a challenge in the coming months..

garygid said:
SOC has very little (or "nothing") to do with Capacity.

No matter what the capacity, charge to full and you get about 95% SOC,
or charge to 80% and you get near 80% SOC, assuming normal temperatures.
But, you could have 30% capacity loss.

OK, so the disparity is between Gids and 100% SOC then. Same difference.

I believe that 100% SOC would correspond to 300 GIDs
on a new battery pack. But, we never charge to a real
100%. Stopping the charging at about 95% "real" SOC
helps preserve the battery life.

Loosing 50% of the original usable capacity might give you a
maximum of 140 GIDs, not 150.

However, the SOC would still be about 95% when "full".

Back