Wait time for California DMV carpool stickers?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RonDawg said:
I just got back home after being away from a week, and noticed my HOV stickers were in my mailbox waiting for me. YAY! It would be 3 months after I bought my car, and a bit more than 2 months after I got my license plates.

Not so YAY!: the number and size of those stickers. I can see ONE on the right side of the bumper, similar to the inspection stickers you see on Hawaiian-plated cars. But three? And why do the ones on the sides have to be so enormous?

all the better to see you with, my dear.
you are going 65 mph and you want CHP to ID you from some distance, right?

thankyouOB said:
RonDawg said:
Not so YAY!: the number and size of those stickers. I can see ONE on the right side of the bumper, similar to the inspection stickers you see on Hawaiian-plated cars. But three? And why do the ones on the sides have to be so enormous?

If a CHP officer can spot an expired reg sticker from pretty far away, I'm sure he or she can easily see the smaller of the white stickers, which is still a lot bigger than the reg sticker.

RonDawg said:
thankyouOB said:
RonDawg said:

If a CHP officer can spot an expired reg sticker from pretty far away, I'm sure he or she can easily see the smaller of the white stickers, which is still a lot bigger than the reg sticker.

It's also meant to be seen, and noticed, by drivers in the non-HOV lanes. It's meant as an incentive, after all.

Ugh-- after waiting almost 6 weeks, my HOV sticker application was rejected by the DMV :eek:. Apparently, my LEAF's 'method of propulsion' was mistakenly registered as "Gasoline" by my Nissan dealer. The DMV gave me a form to take to the dealer to have this corrected. I re-submited the original application with the correction form on Apr 20 via certified mail. Guess I'm back at the end of the line again.

Word to wise: When you're purchasing/leasing your car, make sure the person handling the registration properly lists the method of propulsion of your LEAF as an electric.

If a CHP officer can spot an expired reg sticker from pretty far away, I'm sure he or she can easily see the smaller of the white stickers, which is still a lot bigger than the reg sticker.[/quote][/quote]

As a former California Highway Patrol officer we would spot an expired reg sticker due to it's color then run the tags too verify, Previous years the DMV issued four stickers per vehicle, now with three stickers an officer parked in the medium can see the rear left corner side as the car passes by and the officer can see right rear side from traffic lanes.
chp_carpool_sm_zps7b0ab7be.jpg

vsaphill said:
As a former California Highway Patrol officer we would spot an expired reg sticker due to it's color then run the tags too verify, Previous years the DMV issued four stickers per vehicle, now with three stickers an officer parked in the medium can see the rear left corner side as the car passes by and the officer can see right rear side from traffic lanes.
chp_carpool_sm_zps7b0ab7be.jpg

Yes the color of the reg sticker is what gives the year away, but then the different HOV stickers have different colors too: white, green, and the now expired yellow.

My point being that if that tiny little square in the upper right corner of a license plate is visible from a considerable distance for those trained to look for it, a single small HOV sticker on the right rear bumper should suffice. But if you have to see it from the front, then a small sticker on the left front bumper is fine, and that is still the case with the green stickers. What I don't care for is the number and especially the size of the stickers that all go on the rear of the car. IMHO it's unnecessary.

CHP are also pretty good at spotting those without their seatbelts on, and that can be tough if the seatbelt of the car happens to closely match what the person is wearing. (BTW...fellow 830 PCer here)

Purchased July 15
Plates rec'd Aug 6 (HOV app mailed)
$8 check cashed Aug 23
Stickers rec'd Aug 29

(6 weeks total)

Leased July 28
Plates received ~August 22nd (dealer said they'd get me the license plate # early, but didn't come thru with it... became moot anyway)
Mailed HOV application on August 24th
Stickers received Sept 13th or 14th (postmark was 12th, IIRC)

I don't think it is as much as an incentive as it is to make sure they don't think you are in the HOV lane solo and do something bad to you...

Nubo said:
It's also meant to be seen, and noticed, by drivers in the non-HOV lanes. It's meant as an incentive, after all.

I'm reading reports on various forums about Volts being delivered with green decals aleady assigned at the dealership. It's not clear how or when this program started, or how dealers get to participate (we bought a Volt at the end of August and it was on me to get decals once the DMV had assigned plates...and they just arrived this last Tuesday, as a matter of fact), but there are reports of at least two cars where this is apparently so.

So it might be worth checking with your Nissan dealer to see if they know anything about the same for white decals on your LEAF purchase. Because then you can get into the HOV lane right away, instead of having to wait 4-6 weeks.

So here's the dealer version of the REG 1000 form - REG 1000D, which I unashamedly filched from a thread on gm-volt.com. This form doesn't appear to be available as a download from the DMV website, but you should certainly ask your dealer if he can obtain a copy and file it for you. It will save you waiting on getting your plates first before you can apply:

Attachments

• 20131007_163435.jpg
    20131007_163435.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 58
Anyone apply for and/or get their CAV decal recently??
I submitted my reg100 CAV decal app tonight after getting plates on Sat (10/12). Car leased on 9/18.
Super anxious to get the decal for my 78mi rt commute.

Anyone try using the hov lane without decal and get stopped by highway patrol??

fc123 said:
Anyone try using the hov lane without decal and get stopped by highway patrol??

Technically, you are supposed to have the stickers on your car in order to use the HOV lanes solo. Whether or not you do get a ticket will just happen to depend on the individual police officer* who happens to see you.

Keep in mind that while all BEVs are being issued the white stickers, there is a limit (40k) on the number of green stickers being issued for PHEVs, and when they were in effect, also a limited number of yellow stickers for regular hybrids.

*yes even city cops can write tickets on the freeway, though few do

fc123 said:

Ours arrived last week. Will have to double check dates once I'm home, but off the top of my head: I filled out the form for them on 9/19 (Thursday); am pretty certain it went into the mail the next day; and I think it was in Sacramento the Tuesday or Wednesday of the following week. So it was 2.5-3 weeks in total with postage time.

mwalsh said:
fc123 said:

Ours arrived last week. Will have to double check dates once I'm home, but off the top of my head: I filled out the form for them on 9/19 (Thursday); am pretty certain it went into the mail the next day; and I think it was in Sacramento the Tuesday or Wednesday of the following week. So it was 2.5-3 weeks in total with postage time.

Thanks. 3 weeks isn't bad. I can live with that. I think some posters early in the year were waiting ~6 weeks. I'm resisting temptation so far to use HOV lane, but saw another Leaf doing it last week...

Got my Leaf 8/11. Got my plates last week of August (not sure of date since I was out of town that week.)

Submitted for stickers on 9/3 (Tuesday after Labor Day).

The DMV check cleared my bank on Friday 9/28.

Got my stickers that next week. So about a full month from applying to receiving the stickers.

Now I'm waiting for my CA rebate. We are now at the 2 month mark since submitting everything required by their confirmation e-mail. :(

Back