Build your own EVSE - First Qtr 2011

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mitch672

checkout this link:

http://modularevpower.com/index.htm

right hand side, these are the same people who came up with the "J1772 to NEMA 14-50 adapter box".

on the right hand side of the page, they show some screenshots of an adapter board they are making, for controlling J1772 pilot signals.. looks like it will control the relay, and allow adjustment for the max current, and has an LCD display. This would be easy to add in your own cabling/wiring, and your own J-1772 Male adapter, and you could "make" your own EVSE. Of course it won't be UL listed, but I'm guessing that won't matter to the DIY EV'r. I'm sure the cost on this will be low as well..

Just an FYI, please don't flame me, yes I know it's not UL listed, and you could certainly manage to kill yourself, if you don't know what your doing. This is for experience people with an electrical background.

P.S. this might come in handy, if there is no tax credit in 2011, an also for us folks in the 36 non-initial roll out states, we have plenty of time to make our own EVSE's :)

Presumably a nice start, but no apparent details.

Hopefully the Relay-Control will be "crash-proof", and both an adjustable-level GFI and a strain-relief detection function will be included.

The NEC 625 info is dated, since Section 625 now allows plug-in 240v EVSE operation.

garygid said:
Presumably a nice start, but no apparent details.

Hopefully the Relay-Control will be "crash-proof", and both an adjustable-level GFI and a strain-relief detection function will be included.

The NEC 625 info is dated, since Section 625 now allows plug-in 240v EVSE operation.

If you want all those features then go buy an inexpensive EVSE, it's not worth the effort to build. If you want a quick and dirty EVSE then get a NEMA box, J cord or end and a $5 pilot signal and use a GFI breaker at the panel and be done with it. This kit is really useful for mods for old EVs, building a full featured EVSE like a Leviton model will cost just as much if not more and a fair bit of time. With the tax credit of 50% you are not going to save a penny making your own with parts bought individually and it will not be the same quality. Put the time into running your own conduit and but an AV box for $350 after the credit, you will be way ahead because it will cost more to make one on your own.

You are right, the cost will almost always be higher, especially if one considers the cost of their time.

But, for some, the point is not "paying the Cost", it is "doing the Project".

Perhaps some DIY folks like being able to add some features that might not be available in commercial units, like an easy user-selectable "Max-Current" setting.

again, this is for 2011 Leafers, where no tax credit may exist, and for the people in the 36 non-inital states, many cannot even order until the last part of 2011. If there is no EVSE credit in 2011, and you are electrically experienced, this may be for you. By mid 2011 I imagine the J-1772 male connectors ends should be down in price as well.

Also, making your own EVSE you will gain some experience, and you know what quality parts you have used. This will not be the case for the cheap, imported korean and chinese models.

mitch672 said:
again, this is for 2011 Leafers, where no tax credit may exist, and for the people in the 36 non-inital states, many cannot even order until the last part of 2011. If there is no EVSE credit in 2011, and you are electrically experienced, this may be for you. By mid 2011 I imagine the J-1772 male connectors ends should be down in price as well.

Also, making your own EVSE you will gain some experience, and you know what quality parts you have used. This will not be the case for the cheap, imported korean and chinese models.

What do you think an EVSE will cost then? I'm telling you, unless you are an electronics person few will bother. Let's see what this kit costs. If I'm going to bother making something it certainly won't be an EVSE.

With a masters' in electrical engineering and 30 years experience designing products to meet UL and CE standards (insert wheezing sound here), I take a lot of comfort in seeing a UL and CE mark on anything I buy which is powered by more than an AA battery. Sure, you can build your own EVSE, but why? Unless you run the tests, you don't know exactly what will happen when a component or connector fails in your homebrew box.

DeaneG said:
With a masters' in electrical engineering and 30 years experience designing products to meet UL and CE standards (insert wheezing sound here), I take a lot of comfort in seeing a UL and CE mark on anything I buy which is powered by more than an AA battery. Sure, you can build your own EVSE, but why? Unless you run the tests, you don't know exactly what will happen when a component or connector fails in your homebrew box.

Yes safety is a concern but I don't worry about items I build but regardless building your own is quite a silly venture, I don't even see it being amusing on the curiosity factor, it's a boring device. If one has that much extra time, make something electrical that is at least a interesting or worthwhile learning experience not a "smart outlet" with a cord.

garygid said:
This would explain how Leviton expects to get UL approval for their plug-in evr-green 160, and other repositionable bracket mount models. When did this change? Can you quote the relevant 625 section?

Back